Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2013, 01:54 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I'm sorry to burst your ballon but I have as much freedom of speech as I would ever need or want. The fact that it's illegal to promote HATE against any identifiable group is a very good thing in my world. It's no infringment on my freedoms in the least and if anything it's a great inhancement on the freedoms of those who are targets for hate and violent crimes commited against them all over the world just because of who they are.

One just has to look south of our border to see very clearly the results of unbridled hate preached 24/7 against who ever. I had a neighbour who was an immigrant from Bangladesh. He studied in the USA and became a Ph.D in engineering there. He could not stay in the USA after graduating so he moved to Canada. When I asked him how ofter he had experienced hate towards himself because of his race he said, "Never one single time here in Canada but in the USA it was a constant never ending, every single day thing.

So, you can keep your hate and racism dowm there. We Canadians don't want it and if you think that infringes on my freedom then you have a strange idea of what that is.
Oh, here comes the "Canada is superior" lame train. Let me ship 10 million illegal immigrants up your way and see how tolerant and loving you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 01:55 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
A pretty self-explanatory thread. This was inspired by my fiancee, who is a Canadian citizen. We were discussing the political views of many American conservatives and she mentioned that many may feel that Canadians exchange their "freedoms". What do you think?

Since I don't live in Canada, I really can't say.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:12 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Oh, here comes the "Canada is superior" lame train. Let me ship 10 million illegal immigrants up your way and see how tolerant and loving you are.
It's no "lame train" in any respect. We are superior in just about every single measurable way. We probably would have millions of illegal immigrants if we were stupid enough to deal with it the way the USA has for the last 50 years. Don't get me wrong, I think the USA is the greatest LARGE population country in the world but there are many many countries with small populations that are better in every way there is.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
It's no "lame train" in any respect. We are superior in just about every single measurable way. We probably would have millions of illegal immigrants if we were stupid enough to deal with it the way the USA has for the last 50 years. Don't get me wrong, I think the USA is the greatest LARGE population country in the world but there are many many countries with small populations that are better in every way there is.
Right, you also are culturually homogeneous, have 1/10th of the population with the same number of natural resources, marginal illegal immigrant problem. Give me a break.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:25 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,515,217 times
Culturally homogeneous? The United States isn't for the most part? I don't think I could tell the difference between very many suburbs...

Old 05-03-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
Culturally homogeneous? The United States isn't for the most part? I don't think I could tell the difference between very many suburbs...
No. The United States isn't for the most part. Bit of a difference between a country of 40 million with 85% french/British ancestory sharing trillions of dollars in natural resources, versus what the US has including 10s of millions of illegal immigrants. You know...just a teeny difference

Old 05-03-2013, 02:39 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Very little intelligence is gained when the premise of the thread is designed to incite nationalistic chest thumping. Well done you.
Oh, please. Do you make your presence known to whine on threads designed to incite homophobia or racism? Can't say I've seen you there, complaining. All in all, this thread has been pretty decent and polite.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
No. The United States isn't for the most part. Bit of a difference between a country of 40 million with 85% french/British ancestory sharing trillions of dollars in natural resources, versus what the US has including 10s of millions of illegal immigrants. You know...just a teeny difference
Ancestry doesn't equal non-homogeneous. The country is majority German, and if you step into the suburbs of Michigan you'll be confronted by majority Germans. And yet... none of them have any German culture whatsoever.

Also, France has a lot of diversity in it itself. Some French are more German than "French", some are closer to English, others to Spain, etc. Not to mention Arab influences and other Latin influences, etc.

Either way, you'd have to be joking to believe that most people in America have retained any sense of their cultural ancestry aside from touting that they're "Irish" as they get drunk on St. Patty's Day.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:41 PM

Another note, Canada is diversifying. Look at places like Toronto and Vancouver... More diverse than majority of American cities surely. Much more integrated at that. People may go to New York or LA where it is diverse, but it is largely segregated. Not to say we don't have diversity in America, and that it isn't greater than Canada's, but we're hardly the bastion of it.

Last edited by Cnote11; 05-03-2013 at 02:50 PM..

Old 05-03-2013, 02:47 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Despite regional nuances, in my view there are only two major cultures in the US, the standard majority Anglo-Saxon culture (maintained and continued by all kinds of ethnic and racial groups) and the Hispanic minority culture.
The situation is not much different from Canada, where for the most part you have the majority Anglo-Saxon culture and the Francophone minority culture.

Even the reasons for immigration are basically the same, namely of an economic nature. Hardly any Mexican moves to the US because they like US culture so much. Same goes for Canada. Who moves to Canada, usually does so for economic reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies