Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 04:15 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,397,212 times

Advertisements

They should try to deliver the mail between 9 and 5 when all of the people in that lovely neighborhood are at work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 04:17 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I can't imagine that there is much mail since most of them cannot read anyway.

20yrsinBranson
As I said..... you guys just love to demonize & demoralize the poor.

My father is from that part of Brooklyn, and went on to get full academic scholarships to two of the best Universities in the nation.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:40 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,955,586 times
Just stop delivering mail there. It's probably just junk mail anyway.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:44 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,790,707 times
So why can't they have a black mail carrier deliver the mail in this neighborhood? -Oh, they're afraid too..? of their own..?

Old 05-05-2013, 05:38 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,947,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
If I were a postal officer, yes. I delivered pizzas all through college, and even with that x-Ed out neighborhood, I went into my share of iffy places... that was my job, and I knew going in that it was a risky "profession." Aren't right-wingers (and even most lefties) usually of the mindset that "you do your job, or find one that suits you better?"
You must have missed the part.....no one wants the job including your liberal buddies. Looks like they all found a job to suit them better, maybe they could hire one of those thugs to deliver.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:40 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I don't need your reports of a NYC nabe considering that you live in what Portland? The actual residents in the article say it's a bad hood.
No, I use to live in Portland, I currently live in New Jersey and work in Brooklyn, so I think I too can say that Brownsville is still a pretty bad neighborhood.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:28 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,481,112 times
Some neighborhoods simply don't deserve mail delivery.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:40 AM

4 posts, read 5,925 times
Everyone bashing republicans or people who sympathize with the postal workers appear to live in California - not New York. No one in this thread who has criticized the postal service, or sympathizers with the postal workers, lives in Brownsville, or within even 1 mile of Brownsville.

This speaks volumes.

There is a clear cut difference between these three categories that anyone who actually lives in Brooklyn & visits other neighborhood is familiar with.

a) poor people trying to better themselves

b) poor people not trying to better themselves, but keeping to themselves/being occasionally annoying

c) poor people who stab and shoot at each other in record breaking numbers without provocation

I put bushwick in A, bed stuy in B, and brownsville in C. Visit each neighborhood. People generalize so much. "black neighborhood" this, "poor neighborhood" that, there's so much more to it. It's not about racism, prejudice, or disdain for the lower class. It is about genuine concern for one's safety when dealing with specific buildings.

It's 2013. It is clear by now that gentrification & the Giuliani era forget Brownsville.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:42 AM

4 posts, read 5,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
So why can't they have a black mail carrier deliver the mail in this neighborhood? -Oh, they're afraid too..? of their own..?
It's not a black thing. It's not a race thing. You are missing the point.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:56 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,024,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
There are some areas that are lost causes. We had one neighborhood in my area that was severely run down, unrmanaged, unkempt and dangerous. Somewhere along the line the good intentions (low income housing) were given up on and everyone involved had washed their hands of the place. It's where pizza delivery dared not go. Eventually it was razed and new construction (higher end low income housing...wth? haha) went up. Unless it is managed by someone who sits on it 24/7 the same thing will happen I'm sure.
In liberal San Francisco?

No way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies