Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 01:45 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,429,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
WOW Giuliani hasn't been mayor since , what 2001, and you want to blame him? THIS speaks volumes!
I don't think that's the point he is making. Things got fixed in Guiliani era in much of the city but Briwnsville still was a sewer when Guiliani left. I think he is indicting Brownsville not the mayor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 02:24 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,036,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
They should just hold the mail at the Post Office and residents can pick it up there.

Postal workers too scared to deliver mail in crime-ridden Brooklyn neighborhood, Brownsville - NYPOST.com
"They don’t deliver mail until after 8, and if they can’t get in the building by buzzing someone, they don’t come in because they don’t have a key."

There is the problem right there. I just looked at the area in Google Streetview. Most of the building are locked up and even fenced off. If the mail man doesn't have a key, he can't deliver there. The residents are just POed that they have to go and pick it up.

The neighborhood looks pretty bad, but it does not to be undeliverable for mail. I've personally walked through neighborhoods that look way more dangerous then that, and I'm sure that the USPS delivers to places more dangerous then that. I just don't buy the claim of that one unnamed postal worker.

The problem could probably be fixed with cluster mailboxes on the street.

Looked doors are a problem for mail men and delivery people everywhere. Even in nice neighborhoods, sometimes stuff just doesn't get delivered because of it.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:51 PM

4 posts, read 5,925 times
Quote:
I know. But the fact that he is being blamed is very lame since there have been how many mayor since he left office? Why aren't THEY being blamed?
I didn't blame Giuliani. I said that it's obvious that since that era did not succeed in changing Brownsville, that something ELSE has to happen to change it. It has been over ten years since the great cleaning up of New York started to wind down. It's not going to change on its own.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:20 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,148,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
As I said..... you guys just love to demonize & demoralize the poor.

My father is from that part of Brooklyn, and went on to get full academic scholarships to two of the best Universities in the nation.
Your own grandfather died there and you are defending it? What-Ever! Is your dad still living there, probably not, why? Because he is better than that.

Stop defending these animals! If they can actually read (fat chance) then then can get a post office box like 3~Shepherds suggested. Why should we ask people to risk their lives delivering mail to people who don't DESERVE to have mail delivered.

What a crock.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-06-2013, 08:48 PM

3,044 posts, read 5,004,151 times
Is there a law that the PO must deliver mail? When I lived in PA, we had to pick mail up at the PO.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:09 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,947,298 times
Quote:
"I think it is sort of a right" Sorry but I disagree. There were MANY areas of the country where they didn't have home delivery. The local Post Office was located in the General Store and did NOT deliver.

The ONLY thing the constitution says is. " To establish Post Offices and Post roads". Period
In my area I do live in the country, home delivery wasn't put in until 15 yrs ago, until then I had to pay for P.O. Box or receive no mail. Many of us lived out of town, but not enough for them to deliver mail to us.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:40 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,109,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
"They don’t deliver mail until after 8, and if they can’t get in the building by buzzing someone, they don’t come in because they don’t have a key."

There is the problem right there. I just looked at the area in Google Streetview. Most of the building are locked up and even fenced off. If the mail man doesn't have a key, he can't deliver there. The residents are just POed that they have to go and pick it up.

The neighborhood looks pretty bad, but it does not to be undeliverable for mail. I've personally walked through neighborhoods that look way more dangerous then that, and I'm sure that the USPS delivers to places more dangerous then that. I just don't buy the claim of that one unnamed postal worker.

The problem could probably be fixed with cluster mailboxes on the street.

Looked doors are a problem for mail men and delivery people everywhere. Even in nice neighborhoods, sometimes stuff just doesn't get delivered because of it.
It seems incredibly odd to me that the letter carriers wouldn't have access to every building on their route. It seems just as strange that the mail would be delivered after 8pm.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:10 AM

12,392 posts, read 8,161,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
It seems incredibly odd to me that the letter carriers wouldn't have access to every building on their route. It seems just as strange that the mail would be delivered after 8pm.
For their own security many buildings refuse to provide us with a key to get in since carriers have been robbed of their keys which can be used to access the USPS lock boxes or the buildings electronic lock systems. sometimes the regular carrier will know the security code or be let in by building security but when he is on leave the substitute on the route can often do no more then bypass that delivery point.

Because of automation, the carrier doesn't have to spend time to prerpare a route so he is assigned to carry an ever increasing territory as the deliver units lose staff and the need to provide scanning services the start times of carriers have been drifting later and later. While 20 years ago a carrier may have worked a full tour plus carry half of another route and be done by five increasingly he doesn't finish his base assignment until 5:30 and if he had been assigned 4 overtime hours of work on any given day then he is out past 8.

Back in the 90s partially out of postage cost and partially because checks were stolen from carriers at such a high rate LA County gave up on mailing checks. On the 1st and the 3rd of the month with the remaining Social Security checks the pucker factor went high because of the increased risk. In our station of about 40 routes we averaged two armed robberies a year on us as thieves went after government checks and our keys. counting in the other stations serving South Central Los Angeles and someone was always being robbed somewhere on those two days of the month. Delivery stations have even suffered take over invasions on government check day.

Many of us have walked into crime scenes and have heard the gunshots as LA's gang wars were at their peak back then and mail has been temporarily suspended many times. But normally because the LAPD and LA Sheriff told us to stay out for a while. Internally entire streets have been cut off temporarily until residents have dealt with a dangerous dog. since we can't depend upon the municipalities to deal with dogs many districts run on zero tolerance now. One dog bite and that location gets cut from the deliver plan until we know the dog is gone and/or the fencing has been repaired
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies