Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 12:58 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,024,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
they should try to deliver the mail between 9 and 5 when all of the people in that lovely neighborhood are at work.
lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
It's a Constitutionally mandated service that is regulated by congress. Its governing board is appointed by the President and confirmed by the Senate. However, it is financially independent - all of its money comes from selling postage and products.
Wow - a federal government program that pays for itself without relying on money confiscated at gunpoint?

Imagine that.

The left must really despise the USPS.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:06 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,598,164 times
Brownsville has always been the worst neighborhood, probably in the city. A lot of people talk about the South Bronx being bad, but I do not hear about as much foolish things happening out of the South Bronx these days as much. Also many people outside of New York talk as if Bed-Stuy is the worst, these people do not know jack. I have been telling people for years Brownsville is MUCH more off than Bed-Stuy. I was raised in Bed-Stuy/Clinton Hill area and Brownsville is one of the most depressing places I have EVER seen.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:26 AM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedstuyresident View Post
Everyone bashing republicans or people who sympathize with the postal workers appear to live in California - not New York. No one in this thread who has criticized the postal service, or sympathizers with the postal workers, lives in Brownsville, or within even 1 mile of Brownsville.

This speaks volumes.
I guess you missed the part where I mentioned that my father is from that neighborhood (lived in both East Flatbush & Brownsville from age 0-20), and that my grandfather was a postal worker murdered there. Not to mention, I am originally from DC - so just because it says "location: Bay Area," that doesn't mean I have ALWAYS lived here.

Granted, my father left NY a long time ago... but it was bad then, and it's not like we haven't been back since. I do sympathize with their situation, but also sympathize with the good people living in a neighborhood where they're trying to cut off basic (or what most consider basic) services. How does that help the situation?

Old 05-06-2013, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Wow - a federal government program that pays for itself without relying on money confiscated at gunpoint?

Imagine that.

The left must really despise the USPS.
Do you really believe "the left" LIKES anyone depending on the government? I think you need to turn off Bill O'Reilly from time to time.

For the record, until this thread I'd only ever heard the RIGHT bashing the Post Office. Don't believe me? Search for older discussions involving them, and you'll see the negativity coming from your side of the fence. But now you're all suddenly sympathizing with them? I guess whenever the alternative is siding with the less fortunate (particularly if they're minorities), anyone becomes your hero.

Last edited by gizmo980; 05-06-2013 at 01:38 AM..

Old 05-06-2013, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
In liberal San Francisco?

No way!
I don't think Ceece lives in San Francisco... if I remember correctly, she (?) lives in Oakland or thereabouts. You do know the difference, right? And since you guys are always claiming liberals are bums, I'm not sure why it would surprise you that the Bay has its share of bad neighborhoods too. Not sure how a region of 4M+ people being majority liberal has anything to do with that, however - just trying to follow your conservative "logic."

Old 05-06-2013, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I think you need to turn off Bill O'Reilly from time to time.
I don't have much time to listen to the radio.

When I do, I am usually listening to classical music or a college football game.

I thought that you were above generalizing.

I guess not.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:00 AM

Quote:
I don't think Ceece lives in San Francisco... if I remember correctly, she (?) lives in Oakland or thereabouts. You do know the difference, right? And since you guys are always claiming liberals are bums, I'm not sure why it would surprise you that the Bay has its share of bad neighborhoods too. Not sure how a region of 4M+ people being majority liberal has anything to do with that, however - just trying to follow your conservative "logic."
Bad neighborhoods = liberal politicians.

I'm not sure which council member represents Brownsville, but note that every single NYC council member for he borough of Brooklyn is a Democrat.

http://council.nyc.gov/html/members/brooklyn.shtml

Ah - I found the bio info for their councilmember.

This guy was a member of a terrorist group.

Read this:

Quote:
Background Information
Council Member Charles Barron has been a community activist for 25 years. He has extensive experience on the local and national levels. In 1969, in need of a vehicle to express his desire for justice, Barron joined the Harlem branch of the Black Panther Party. After his Black Panther experience, he attended New York City Community College, now known as New York Technical College, where he obtained an Associate's Degree. He then attended Hunter College where he acquired his Bachelor of Arts Degree in Sociology with a minor in Elementary Education.
In 1979, Barron joined the National Black United Front (NBUF) and became the founding chairperson of NBUF'S Harlem Chapter. Shortly thereafter, he was appointed Chief of Staff to the Reverend Herbert Daughtry, chairperson of the National Black United Front. From 1982-87 he served as Secretary General of African Peoples Christian Organization (APCO). He traveled across the United States visiting many college campuses, churches, prisons and communities organizing around international, national and local issues.
In 2001, Barron was elected to the New York City Council. He serves as Chair of the Higher Education Committee and is a member of the committees on Land Use, Consumer Affairs, Women s Issues, Landmarks, Public Siting and Maritime Uses. In this role, he has sponsored and cosponsored significant pieces of legislation that have impacted the quality of life of all New Yorkers. In the winter and spring of 2003, Barron delivered $280,000 to senior citizen programs in his district. He also played an integral role in getting the Meals on Wheels program restored to the city budget for seniors in his district. Barron, in collaboration with the New York City Housing Authority, secured $12.5 million for an East New York Recreation Center. In addition, he fought to obtain $1.2 million for the renovation of Linden/George Gershwin Park in his district. As chair of the Higher Education Committee, Barron spearheaded the restoration of over $10 million for students at City University of New York colleges. Additionally, he was successful in maintaining the Peter Vallone Scholarship awards for CUNY students.

Last edited by Harrier; 05-06-2013 at 02:15 AM..

Old 05-06-2013, 02:14 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,871,444 times
Bernie Goetz did more to reduce the crime rate in NYC (until Mayor Ed Kochsucker wimped out) than all of the cops and mayors.

GL2

Old 05-06-2013, 02:35 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,278,129 times
Quote:
I think it is sort of a right, as it's a tax-funded public service - unless you personally violated their guidelines for "usage" (similar to the rules at a library). So what if YOU didn't threaten anyone, but just happen to live in a bad neighborhood? Is it fair that some elderly woman can't get her prescription in the mail, because her neighbor is a thug? I don't think so.
I don't see you or other people signing up to go deliver the mail there, now do I? Its always easy to say "its a right" when you are playing with someone else's life and/or safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies