Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2013, 01:46 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Is that why crime has grown exponentially over the last several decades here, ya suppose?
Has it?

Old 05-14-2013, 01:47 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,168,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I see Gov Goofy is going to make one more spectacle of this today at 5pm.

I just wish it would be over. How long can they drag is insignificant garbage out?

I mean THANK GOD we don't have more important things to worry about!
The fact that it bothers people like you so much makes it even more awesome!

Old 05-14-2013, 01:48 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,388,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Has it?
Yes. Exponentially, as I stated.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:49 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
Quote:
I see Gov Goofy is going to make one more spectacle of this today at 5pm.

I just wish it would be over. How long can they drag is insignificant garbage out?

I mean THANK GOD we don't have more important things to worry about!
August is when they can start getting married, they'll probably do something special for the first gay couple who gets married and after a few months people will forget about it.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:50 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
The fact that it bothers people like you so much makes it even more awesome!
Pretty much what I suspected all along.

You do realize they have wasted like a month of the Legislature's time right?

We don't have a budget, but we have Gay marriage. Awesome.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:50 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,168,316 times
Quote:
Pretty much what I suspected all along.

You do realize they have wasted like a month of the Legislature's time right?

We don't have a budget, but we have Gay marriage. Awesome.
Bummer!

Old 05-14-2013, 01:59 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,126,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
This would be also a great arguement that gay rights (as in anti-discrimination laws) are unecessary since gays are doing better in society--economically-- than normal people.

It's like why bother with an unnecessary law?

Are you really serious? Or just completely idiotic? It has NOTHING to do with "how well people are doing economically."

Today in Montana they are debating whether to strike down their law that imprisons homosexuals for up to 10 years and imposes up to a $5,000 fine.

75 countries criminalize consensual sexual acts between adults of the same sex.They are punishable by death in eight countries.

Teens face harassment, threats, and violence. A 1998 study in the US by Mental Health America found that students heard anti-gay slurs such as “homo”, “******” and “sissy” about 26 times a day on average, or once every 14 minutes.

About two-thirds of gay and lesbian students in Britain's schools have suffered from gay bullying, a survey by the Schools Health Education Unit found. Almost all that had been bullied had experienced verbal attacks, 41 percent had been physically attacked, and 17 percent had received death threats.

In 1985, F. Paris estimated that suicides by gay youth may comprise up to 30 percent of all youth suicides in the US. Today, the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention has found that gay, lesbian and bisexual youth attempt suicide at a rate three to six times that of similar-age heterosexual youth.

Violent hate crimes against LGBT people tend to be especially brutal, even compared to other hate crimes: "an intense rage is present in nearly all homicide cases involving gay male victims". It is rare for a victim to just be shot; he is more likely to be stabbed multiple times, mutilated, and strangled. "They frequently involved torture, cutting, mutilation... showing the absolute intent to rub out the human being because of his (sexual) preference".

Legal defenses like the "Gay Panic Defense" allow for more lenient punishments for people accused of beating, torturing, or killing homosexuals because of their orientation.

Tyler Clementi committed suicide on September 22, 2010, after his roommate at Rutger's University secretly recorded his sexual encounter with another man.

Phillip Parker, a 14-year old openly gay in Tennessee, was found dead in January 20, 2012. He committed suicide because of gay bullying.

In 2001, Aaron Webster was beaten to death by a group of youths armed with baseball bats and a pool cue while hanging around an area of Stanley park in Vancouver frequented by gay men. Ryan Cran was convicted of manslaughter in the case in 2004 and released on parole in 2009 after serving only 4 years of his six-year sentence. Two youths were tried under Canada's Youth Criminal Justice Act and sentenced to three years after pleading guilty. A fourth assailant was acquitted.

The closing words to the song "I'm Not a Loser", by California punk rock band "The Descendants" read, "Your pants are too tight, You fu*king homo, You suck, Mr. Buttfu*k. You don't belong here. No way you fu*king gay. I'm not a loser!"

Reggae artist Buju Banton wrote a song when he was 15 years old that became a hit called "Boom Bye Bye". The song is about violently murdering homosexuals and "advocated the shooting of gay men, pouring acid on them and burning them alive."

Some Christian groups STILL advocate "conversion therapy" and promote "ex-gay" groups. The medical and scientific consensus in the United States is that conversion therapy is likely harmful and should be avoided because it may exploit guilt and anxiety, thereby damaging self-esteem and leading to depression and even suicide. This promotion of the idea that homosexuality is immoral and can be corrected may make would-be attackers of homosexuals feel justified in that they are "doing God's work" by ridding the world of LGBT people.

The abhorrent Corrective rape is a hate crime in which a person is raped because of their perceived sexual or gender orientation. The common intended consequence of the rape, as seen by the perpetrator, is to "correct" their orientation, to turn them heterosexual, or to make them "act" more in conformity with gender stereotypes.

Gee, i guess we really don't need any more protections for those qu**rs, do we?

Old 05-14-2013, 02:11 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,388,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post

Some Christian groups STILL advocate "conversion therapy" and promote "ex-gay" groups. The medical and scientific consensus in the United States is that conversion therapy is likely harmful and should be avoided because it may exploit guilt and anxiety, thereby damaging self-esteem and leading to depression and even suicide.
Says you.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:12 PM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
This is what it means to live in America today:

Charming...
Aw, you poor beleaguered thing, you. Need any help with that 3rd nail? Always tricky....

Old 05-14-2013, 04:17 PM

67 posts, read 68,018 times
The passage of marriage equality in Minnesota, is a direct response to the 2012 GOP backed referendum to make gay marriage unconstitutional. This never would've happened if the Christian right wingers wouldn't have went all in with a losing hand. The voters called, and the MN legislature went from red to blue. This is poetic justice in it's purest form.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.