Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2014, 01:51 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,771,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
Indeed.

Upper-class college-educated whites are socially liberal but economically conservative as has been shown in many a survey and political analysis.

I'm sure many are repulsed by the hijacking of the Republic party by the hardcore Christian/social conservative wing (whether real or perceived)...
Lets also keep in mind that a number of the Republicans are just the Republican wing of the Democratic party. Romney comes to mind.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:55 PM

4,903 posts, read 3,364,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
Lets also keep in mind that a number of the Republicans are just the Republican wing of the Democratic party. Romney comes to mind.
Eh...maybe. Or perhaps being a "Republican" or a "Democrat" these days just doesn't have the ideological distinction that it once did. Either that, or humans in general are always walking contradictions (my personal take)...

As they say, judge by actions, not by words...

Old 01-12-2014, 02:12 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Indeed.

Upper-class college-educated whites are socially liberal but economically conservative as has been shown in many a survey and political analysis.

I'm sure many are repulsed by the hijacking of the Republic party by the hardcore Christian/social conservative wing (whether real or perceived)...
I haven't been around that many upper-class Whites. I also live in Georgia, so that also affects what I've seen. Among the upper-class, college-educated Whites I've been around, alot of therm are both socially and economically conservative. Among the White liberals I know, many are middle-upper class and college-educated. The political analysis you mentioned does fit for some of them.

And there is another irony to what you mentioned about the Republican Party. Blacks and Hispanics are by and large Christians. Many have values in line with the conservative Christian viewpoint. However, both groups are voting for the Democratic Party in large numbers.

Honest, I feel like both parties have failed. At this point in time, both sides are basically the same, other than a few platforms and the tactics. Rather than trying to be pragmatic and being open to independent thinking, it's all about the party line.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Eh...maybe. Or perhaps being a "Republican" or a "Democrat" these days just doesn't have the ideological distinction that it once did. Either that, or humans in general are always walking contradictions (my personal take)...

As they say, judge by actions, not by words...
Neither party is doing much good anymore. However, whoever votes for whom often depends on words. One could have the best of intentions, the best of plans, but one's words, one's delivery is the first thing people are going to remember. Using catch words like "plantation" isn't going to make Blacks want to join Republicans.

There is a difference between addressing real concerns, and talking AT people. You talk TO the people, not AT the people. Saying something like "I don't want Blacks to succeed off of my money" basically amounts to "Blacks are a burden to me". Making others feel like a burden will not make them want to join you. If there is an issue regarding dependence on welfare, why not address trying to create jobs, initiatives for creating jobs. It is suppose to be "how about we work together". You don't talk at someone or down to someone.

Actions can speak louder than words. And sometimes, words can given an idea of what a person could do.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
You could say the same with Democrats being a Democratic wing of the Republican Party. It's on both sides.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:23 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,771,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
You could say the same with Democrats being a Democratic wing of the Republican Party. It's on both sides.
I don't see it from them. Barely at the least.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:47 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
And there is another irony to what you mentioned about the Republican Party. Blacks and Hispanics are by and large Christians. Many have values in line with the conservative Christian viewpoint. However, both groups are voting for the Democratic Party in large numbers.
How's that working out for them?

Old 01-12-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
How's that working out for them?
How did living under a Republican President in the 1980s work out for Blacks?

Old 01-12-2014, 05:58 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
How did living under a Republican President in the 1980s work out for Blacks?
Well, if they were not residents of any city or state, we might have a better idea.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:58 PM

I think a better way to look at the question is this. Is there in data to show Black voting results specifically by income?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies