Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2014, 07:24 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Well, if they were not residents of any city or state, we might have a better idea.
Better yet, I look up the states with the highest median household incomes for Blacks.

Top 5:

Maryland(D)
New Hampshire(D)
Montana(R)
Virginia(D)
New Jersey(D)

I found this information on the maps for city-data.

States with lowest median incomes for Blacks(Bottom 5):

Maine(D)
West Virginia(R)
Wisconsin(D)
Arkansas(R)
Mississippi(R)

Old 01-12-2014, 11:08 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,733,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Better yet, I look up the states with the highest median household incomes for Blacks.

Top 5:

Maryland(D)
New Hampshire(D)
Montana(R)
Virginia(D)
New Jersey(D)

I found this information on the maps for city-data.

States with lowest median incomes for Blacks(Bottom 5):

Maine(D)
West Virginia(R)
Wisconsin(D)
Arkansas(R)
Mississippi(R)

According to Census Quick Facts, blacks make up a whopping 1.3% of the population in Maine for a total 17,279 blacks. Of these, many are refugees from the African nations of Somalia and Sudan, as well as Chad, Djibouti, Ethopia, Rwanda, Congo/Zaire. Many are receiving some form of public assistance while in Maine.

Median and per capita income for all residents of Maine were below the national average.

Having a small population of blacks which is mostly refugees on assistance sort of skews the figures for black families who aren't refugees and who have been living and working in Maine.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:12 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,143,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Middle and Upper class blacks (financially and socially) tend to be more rounded in their exposure to economics and human behavior; many are conservative in their personal beliefs, however many blacks of the middle class are entangled and wrapped around the concept of "race" into any and every issue and by default align themselves politically with blacks of the lower classes.

If you talk to almost anyone about problems that surround the poorer ends of the black community, you will almost certainly be given the idea that "racism" is the reason for the lack of vitality. Lack of academic performance? Racism! Overcrowded jails? Racism! Single parent households? Racism! Debt problems? Racism! and so on and so fourth. It' the one symboite that successfully keeps the upper echelons of black america Democratic. The upper echelons of black americans (and I'm not referring to Athletes, or entertainers...I'm referring to the old money, fraternal blacks in organizations like the Boules, the Links etc) are apart of the "racism" industry.

White "elites" with the exception of the most popular of them (i.e. Mark Zuckerburg) tend to be very conservative both financially and socially. It's the middle class whites who tend to be more liberal socially and "rebellious" on social issues. They are the more of the "if it feels good--do it" types.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
When you draw your opinion of blacks from Fox News and Rush Limbaugh you tend to develop opinions like this. I suggest you "actually" talk to some black people than come back and update your post...
Except he's kind of right. My parents are upper-middle class and live in an affluent neighborhood about 25 miles East of Atlanta. We are black. I asked my mom why she votes democrat every election if she holds these conservative viewpoints(Against gay marriage...against high taxes for middle class(My dad makes over 250k a year)...for death penalty....for guns, etc, etc). She said she didn't know why and that she just always did it. I think it's just a cultural thing for almost all blacks to vote Democrat even though a great portion of them are conservative.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
According to Census Quick Facts, blacks make up a whopping 1.3% of the population in Maine for a total 17,279 blacks. Of these, many are refugees from the African nations of Somalia and Sudan, as well as Chad, Djibouti, Ethopia, Rwanda, Congo/Zaire. Many are receiving some form of public assistance while in Maine.

Median and per capita income for all residents of Maine were below the national average.

Having a small population of blacks which is mostly refugees on assistance sort of skews the figures for black families who aren't refugees and who have been living and working in Maine.
My point is that this isn't partisan issue. Consider this. The states with high median incomes for Blacks, all voted for President Obama, except Montana. The states that had the lowest median incomes for Blacks, 3 out of 5 are Republican states. West Virginia, which has among the lowest median incomes for Blacks, is next to Maryland and Virginia, which has among the highest median incomes for Blacks. Mississippi and Arkansas, both have low incomes levels among Blacks, and very high poverty rates. What is shows is that it really doesn't matter if the place is Republican or Democrat.

Last edited by green_mariner; 01-13-2014 at 06:03 AM..

Old 01-13-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Except he's kind of right. My parents are upper-middle class and live in an affluent neighborhood about 25 miles East of Atlanta. We are black. I asked my mom why she votes democrat every election if she holds these conservative viewpoints(Against gay marriage...against high taxes for middle class(My dad makes over 250k a year)...for death penalty....for guns, etc, etc). She said she didn't know why and that she just always did it. I think it's just a cultural thing for almost all blacks to vote Democrat even though a great portion of them are conservative.
Well, this is my perspective. I'm Black, I come from a middle class family. My father does have some conservative views. He is pro-gun, he is against gay marriage, he is a Christian(I'm also a Christian). However, he is liberal on other things. He is against the death penalty. I have never heard him once complain about taxes, even when he was laid off. He has never once said "we're taxed enough already".

According to him, he votes Democrat because he feels like Republicans don't really care about Blacks.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:44 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,137,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
That's funny because when I ask the upper middle class black folk I hang around with about why they voted a certain way they usually respond with the issues they are for and against and the candidates position.

Maybe the crowd I keep is a little more politically aware than average. But to each his own...

Old 01-13-2014, 09:16 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
My point is that this isn't partisan issue. Consider this. The states with high median incomes for Blacks, all voted for President Obama, except Montana. The states that had the lowest median incomes for Blacks, 3 out of 5 are Republican states. West Virginia, which has among the lowest median incomes for Blacks, is next to Maryland and Virginia, which has among the highest median incomes for Blacks. Mississippi and Arkansas, both have low incomes levels among Blacks, and very high poverty rates. What is shows is that it really doesn't matter if the place is Republican or Democrat.
You have to look at the Black vote, not the overall state vote.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You have to look at the Black vote, not the overall state vote.
But if the Black vote is similar through every state, how do explain Blacks doing better in places such as Maryland, New Hampshire, and Virginia, vs West Virginia, Mississppi, and Wisconsin? If Blacks do better in Maryland and New Hampshire and do poorly in Mississippi and West Virginia, then how does who a Black person vote for have anything to do with that?

Old 01-13-2014, 10:37 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,685,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
In my state (MA) rich whites become liberal because they live above the consequences of their viewpoints. It's easy to despise Walmart when you are rich. It's easy to mandate school desegregation (socioeconomically as well as racially) when your kids go to a lily white private school.
I think when it comes to race and poverty, the rich, white, elitists hold the mindset of, "let government take care of it," so they can feel good about ignoring the plight of minorities and the poor. Remember, liberalism is like hitting the EASY button.

It's like that with the poor and Food Stamps. The elitist white libs are able to live with themselves, with poverty at a 50 year high, as long as their are programs like Welfare and Food Stamps. "Let them eat (food stamps) cake."

Old 01-13-2014, 10:58 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,752,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
For better off whites, politics is largely about demontrating their elite status by separating themselves from the hordes of middle class whites they compete against. Since they don't have the numbers to win at the ballot box by themselves, they form coalitions with poor minorities who don't live in their areas and are no competition for them in schools or in the workplace. It's the top and the bottom united against the middle.
Agreed. You gotta to be rich to even think like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies