Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2014, 09:18 AM

89,258 posts, read 45,002,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And yet, you find many "limousine" Republicans as well.
But do they pander to Blacks with meaningless words while living a hypocritically opposite lifestyle as Dem limousine liberals do? Or does the R version advocate Blacks lifting themselves up?

Quote:
You can find abhorrent conditions among Blacks in places run by Republicans. Show me one city(city, NOT SUBURB) where there are Blacks not living in abhorrent conditions, whether it's run by Republicans or Democrats. Blacks are often poorer than everyone else, have higher imprisonment rates, higher death rates than everyone else, no matter if it's Democrat or Republican.
Look at large metropolises. Higher percentage of Blacks. Much higher crime rates. Nearly always governed by Dems.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:20 AM

73,116 posts, read 62,771,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You really just compared a backwater to a metropolis?
Furthermore, there was another thing being missed. I was making a comparison between the Black population in Chicago, and the Black population in Omaha. I was talking specifically about the Black population, and trying to make a point.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:24 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,553,733 times
Quote:
How does the way Blacks vote affect everyone else?
Ask the non-black citizens of Washington, D.C., St. Louis, Memphis, Detroit, Oakland, Baltimore and Chicago if they have any opinions on this matter.

I think you'd get quite an earful (assuming they were in an environment where they can talk freely).

Here is what the non-black citizens of Philadelphia had to say on the matter:

Being White in Philly | Philadelphia magazine

Quote:
Confusion, misread intentions, bruised feelings—everyone has not only a race story, but a thousand examples of trying to sort through our uneasiness on levels large and trivial. I do, too. My rowhouse in Mount Airy is on a mostly African-American block; it’s middle-class and friendly—in fact, it’s the friendliest street my family has ever lived on, with block parties and a spirit of watching out for each other. Whether a neighbor is black or white seems to be of no consequence whatsoever.

Yet there’s a dance I do when I go to the Wawa on Germantown Avenue. I find myself being overly polite. Each time I hold the door a little too long for a person of color, I laugh at myself, both for being so self-consciously courteous and for knowing that I’m measuring the thank-you’s. A friend who walks to his car parked on Front Street downtown early each morning has a similar running joke with himself.

As he walks, my friend says hello and makes eye contact with whoever crosses his path. If the person is white, he’s bestowing a tiny bump of friendliness. If the person is black, it’s friendliness and a bit more: He’s doing something positive for race relations.

On one level, such self-consciousness and hypersensitivity can be seen as progress when it comes to race, a sign of how much attitudes have shifted for the better, a symbol of our desire for things to be better. And yet, lately I’ve come to fear that the opposite might also be true: that our carefulness is, in fact, at the heart of the problem.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
But do they pander to Blacks with meaningless words while living a hypocritically opposite lifestyle as Dem limousine liberals do? Or does the R version advocate Blacks lifting themselves up?

Look at large metropolises. Higher percentage of Blacks. Much higher crime rates. Nearly always governed by Dems.
Last time I checked, I don't hear the "limousine Republicans" say anything about Blacks other patronizing comments.

First of all, you were saying that Democrats are the reason Blacks do badly. I showed you Omaha, a city with a Republican mayor, a city where the Black population is among the poorest in the USA, and with one of the highest Black murder rates in the nation. Again, what does being a Democrat have to do with being violent and poor?

Again, I asked you to show me a city run by Republicans(not suburbs) where Blacks aren't at the bottom of the income bracket or living in abhorrent conditions.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Ask the non-black citizens of Washington, D.C., St. Louis, Memphis, Detroit, Oakland, Baltimore and Chicago if they have any opinions on this matter.

I think you'd get quite an earful (assuming they were in an environment where they can talk freely).

Here is what the non-black citizens of Philadelphia had to say on the matter:

Being White in Philly | Philadelphia magazine
I was talking about voting, not other behaviors. And if you are to say that who Blacks vote for affects everyone else, well, here is a corollary to this. Perhaps there are many who are quite worried about how non-Blacks or any group that isn't their own group votes. Self-interest. Every group does it. I'm not saying it's right or wrong. I'm saying voting based on self-interest is common among everyone, period.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
I was talking about voting, not other behaviors.
Uh...voting IS a behavior.

In fact, it is a group behavior with a TREMENDOUS amount of influence on a community.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:29 AM

89,258 posts, read 45,002,798 times
Quote:
Last time I checked, I don't hear the "limousine Republicans" say anything about Blacks other patronizing comments.
Not possible. R's don't patronize Blacks. They expect them to work to lift themselves up.

Dems patronize Blacks by convincing them that they're victims and that society owes them. How can you not see that doing so robs Blacks of any will or power to work towards their own self-actualization?

Old 01-12-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
I was talking about voting, not other behaviors. And if you are to say that who Blacks vote for affects everyone else, well, here is a corollary to this. Perhaps there are many who are quite worried about how non-Blacks or any group that isn't their own group votes. Self-interest. Every group does it. I'm not saying it's right or wrong. I'm saying voting based on self-interest is common among everyone, period.
...and that is the business of every OTHER group in a community.

The idea that "what members of [Fill in the BLANK] ethnic/racial/social group do that affects the whole community" is no business to "outsiders" is lunacy.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
I didn't. green_mariner insists they can be compared. Stunning, really, as the entire state of Nebraska only has 85,000 blacks total, less than 5% of Nebraska's population.

Everyone knows the atrocities that come out of Chicago's Black neighborhoods...

Cops: Honor student killed by Chicago gang members

There are many, many more.
People know of Chicago because it's a city of 2.7 million people, and with about 900,000 Blacks. However, no one speaks of the statistics in Omaha's Black population, or that these statistics have been taking place for a long time.

Illinois Black murder rate = 17.09
Nebraska Black murder rate = 25.58

Chicago Black murder rate = 34
Omaha Black murder rate = 46

Epidemic of poverty, violence - Omaha.com
Omaha looks to combat its homicide problem : Lincoln, NE Journal Star
http://www.1011now.com/home/headline...951.html?imw=Y
Missouri Has Highest Black Murder Victim Rate

Old 01-12-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Not possible. R's don't patronize Blacks. They expect them to work to lift themselves up.

Dems patronize Blacks by convincing them that they're victims and that society owes them. How can you not see that doing so robs Blacks of any will or power to work towards their own self-actualization?
Patronizing is a euphemism, basically for, make stupid assumptions. Making assumptions that all blacks want are free handouts. If that was the case, then why do middle class Blacks vote for Democrats?

Democrats play the victim thing, and Republicans, as far as I see, haven't really made Blacks feel welcomed. As far as I'm concerned, neither party is helping Blacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.