Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 05:27 PM

1,137 posts, read 972,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
I wouldn't be willing to bet on that. The presiding judge gave some pretty strong instructions against jury nullification.
Judges hate the very idea of jury nullification because it renders the judge irrelevant. The will of the people is put in place, just as it should be.

The ideas behind jury nullification should be taught in every high school so that people are aware of the power they possess once in a jury box. I practiced nullification in a short trial last year, it felt absolutely awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 05:29 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,039,923 times
Unfortunately he can still face up to a year in jail. Rules, regs, licenses for this and that, permits, etc, etc. Big, controlling, ever powerful government. And it is only going to get worse.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:33 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
You can thank the big farming corporations for that.
I actually would rather blame government, who thinks its their business to regulate every dam sector of society while we have kooks applauding it..

Old 05-28-2013, 05:53 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,735,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
It's doesn't matter what the judge's views are with regards to jury nullification. Unfortunately many people are bullied by judges who take a dim view of this de facto power inherent amoungst juries. Probably why I haven't been selected for a jury in over 15 years. You can see it on my face and the my answers to the attornies questions I am the ultimate arbitor of whether the defendent is guilty and how the law is applied. Judges and attorneys be damned.
If you are going to make your feelings known in the screening, why even show up? It's not like they can do anything to you if you just throw the notification into the trash.

Now if they send you a certified letter demanding you to be present, then you go and express yourself.

Otherwise sneak in and nullify!

Old 05-28-2013, 06:13 PM

1,137 posts, read 972,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregm View Post

Exactly.

More people need to do this

Old 05-28-2013, 08:26 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregm View Post
If you are going to make your feelings known in the screening, why even show up? It's not like they can do anything to you if you just throw the notification into the trash.

Now if they send you a certified letter demanding you to be present, then you go and express yourself.

Sorry, I didn't serve my country to toss those freedoms in the trash. I am truthful to a fault most times.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:37 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
I wouldn't be willing to bet on that. The presiding judge gave some pretty strong instructions against jury nullification.
That would not stop me.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
It's doesn't matter what the judge's views are with regards to jury nullification. Unfortunately many people are bullied by judges who take a dim view of this de facto power inherent amoungst juries. Probably why I haven't been selected for a jury in over 15 years. You can see it on my face and the my answers to the attornies questions I am the ultimate arbitor of whether the defendent is guilty and how the law is applied. Judges and attorneys be damned.
It isn't that difficult. You just need to know how to answer their questions. Then exercise jury nullification when it comes time for the jury to vote.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
Judges hate the very idea of jury nullification because it renders the judge irrelevant. The will of the people is put in place, just as it should be.

The ideas behind jury nullification should be taught in every high school so that people are aware of the power they possess once in a jury box. I practiced nullification in a short trial last year, it felt absolutely awesome.

That will never happen. Governments will always fight to the end to retain their power. They will do everything possible to be sure that the people have little or no power.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:49 PM

571 posts, read 791,322 times
Jury nullification's real legacy in the US is a lot of hanged blacks and a corresponding number of acquitted whites, let's not forget.

Judges and DAs are appointed by elected officials or elected themselves, wield your power through your voting habits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies