Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2013, 02:45 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Why the hatred of unions in the USA ?
They're basically labor cartels, which are anti-consumer.

Quote:
unions fought for and won all the rights that people take for granted at work.
No, they didn't.

They fought for some rights, most of which were won 100 years ago. In the process they created new problems.

Quote:
I employed an American in Australia for my post stressing team, but there is no way he wanted to join a union so I ended up doing his contract myself. But here is the kicker, I told him no union no profit share, would the average American give up income not to join a union ? But the hypocrisy is this, he was happy to take the six weeks of holiday time that had been won by the union.
I don't know anything about Australian union laws. For all I know they're completely different than American.

My "mental image" of union workers is a bunch of overweight, mid-50's blue collar workers from the north, making $30/hour for a firm that's going bankrupt. They all get together and agree to cut future workers pay and benefits as long as the old guys get theirs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 02:59 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
The answer is very simple. Most Americans don't hate unions, what we hate is being told we HAVE to join a union to work some where.

Voluntary joining is ok, being forced to involuntarily become a member just so we can work somewhere, is unsat.

I don't belong to a union, and we have NO union at the company I work for, and we have excellent benefits and excellent pay.
If one has a problem with that, then they can choose not to work there. Such a simple concept.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:16 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Americans have been brain-washed by the propaganda of business that unions are bad.

Unions give the worker some power, to counterbalance the over-whelming power that management has. Unions fight for higher wages, worker safety, and fair practices ---- why would anyone be against those things?

The demise of unions is one of the reasons that real wages for men have stagnated over the last few decades, and why income inequality is at levels not seen since the Great Depression.
Yes, seeing posts like this one really illustrate two things:

1) The Dumbing Down of America
2) The Power of Propaganda

The same people who screamed at the top of their lungs for tax breaks for billionaires are the same one shrieking about the evils of unions. No wonder the wealthy call these folks "muppets"

Old 06-17-2013, 03:20 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,514,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
If one has a problem with that, then they can choose not to work there. Such a simple concept.

Here's the problem with that.

If the employer wants the worker to work there and the worker wants to work there what gives the union the right to interfere? It would be illegal under ant other circumstance. But unions have special legal protections that allows them to violate other people's rights.

And if unions were really about the worker, as they claim, they would not deny the non-union worker his right to work. This proves unions are not interested in helping workers. Period.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:23 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
The answer is very simple. Most Americans don't hate unions, what we hate is being told we HAVE to join a union to work some where.

Voluntary joining is ok, being forced to involuntarily become a member just so we can work somewhere, is unsat.

I don't belong to a union, and we have NO union at the company I work for, and we have excellent benefits and excellent pay.
Once again, the Taft Hartley Act, passed in 1947, made it unlawful to be required to join a union to be hired.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:24 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Why the hatred of unions in the USA ? unions fought for and won all the rights that people take for granted at work. I employed an American in Australia for my post stressing team, but there is no way he wanted to join a union so I ended up doing his contract myself. But here is the kicker, I told him no union no profit share, would the average American give up income not to join a union ? But the hypocrisy is this, he was happy to take the six weeks of holiday time that had been won by the union.
I like many unions, the problem is that they get deeply politically entrenched in some cities and end up with extortion like powers.

For example, imagine you are attending a trade show at Chicago's McCormick place. You set up your display booth and want to plug in a sign that lights up displaying your product. You can't do that. You must pay a union electrician to plug it into the socket for you.

Philadelphia plumbers union kept PVC pipe out of the city for decades to keep their workers over-employed.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:25 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,514,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Once again, the Taft Hartley Act, passed in 1947, made it unlawful to be required to join a union to be hired.
Lols.

Why all the fuss about changing to a right to work state then?

Unions should have no problem with right to work.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
wow, do you really believ the crap you are shovelling

wages have stagnated because of liberal policies, and freetrade....globalism
Look, what the poster said was the truth, and I can only take pity out on you as a human being for refusing to recognize the truth when it stares at you in the face. My Got, man, why do you choose to be so blind and shut minded as to the truth, anyway? Can't you simply not see that scapegoating liberal policies, free trade(what free trade) and globalism get you absolutely no where?

Old 06-17-2013, 03:39 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Lols.

Why all the fuss about changing to a right to work state then?

Unions should have no problem with right to work.
Why is it that wages are usually lower in right-to-work states?

Old 06-17-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Here's the problem with that.

If the employer wants the worker to work there and the worker wants to work there what gives the union the right to interfere? It would be illegal under ant other circumstance. But unions have special legal protections that allows them to violate other people's rights.

And if unions were really about the worker, as they claim, they would not deny the non-union worker his right to work. This proves unions are not interested in helping workers. Period.
Such total all out nonsense you spout. Listen, why should I be surprised and outraged a labor union in a non right to work state wants to take out small deductions from my paychecks? Am I supposed to be wrong and fool hardy enough to believe that it costs a labor union absolutely nothing to operate? And if I think I can make more money in a non-unionized workplace, I have the right to quit and go over there. Once again, why should that highly simple concept be so impossible to understand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies