Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 12:17 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,231,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
Yes that is what it really means but in more recent times people have been using it as a code word to indicate minorities whether they live in cities or not.
I haven't noticed this trend. However what are the demographics for Urban poor? My point is if it heavily biased towards minorities then it is natural to think in those terms.
For example the vast majority of illegals are hispanic. They are not from Norway. So when someone says Illegal alien the average person thinks of someone from Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 12:19 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,014,135 times
Never.

Far too many apologists on the liberal side of things. As long as these single mothers are considered "victims" across the board, irrespective of circumstance; they'll continue to behave as they have been doing.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:43 PM

745 posts, read 1,505,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
They think that the child equals automatic love.

Something they didn't get from the many "baby-daddies" they slept with.

More babies equal more nonjudgmental love.

Sad.
I also think it's a vicious cycle, in that they are seeking validation by sleeping around because they themselves did not have an active father figure in their lives. There is a lack of self respect, lack of impulse control, etc. exhibited to continue to have children out of wedlock.

That being said, some of the hardest working women I've ever encountered were just like the ones we're discussing. While going through nursing school the hardest workers, who studied the most and aced the most tests/clinicals, were single mothers who were trying to better themselves for their kids. So it's not a hopeless situation by any means.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:07 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,301,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Detroit lost manufacturing jobs, but it also lost over half of its population.

The youth are the near future of Detroit.

So you don't see 70% of kids coming from single parent homes as something that will hurt Detroit's prospects?
Yes because it lost manufacturing jobs. LOL people left to go find work that no longer existed in Detroit.

No, I don't. First I have no idea if that stat is correct and the problems of Detroit are owed to vanishing jobs, the city's economy was too reliant and still might be too reliant on the auto industry. The American auto industry has been in decline for decades as jobs have disappeared this has devastated the city of Detroit.

This is the primary problem of Detroit of America, not the relationship status of parents.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:15 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
"Poor urban women" lol
That's what i was thinking. Because you know, the only poor women that make bad decisions are the ones that live in "urban" areas. LMAO...unreal.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:22 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,845,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332 View Post
I've thought about this controversial issue for quite sometime.

I'm a black American woman that simply can not understand why so many poor urban women continue to have children, without any male support. Obviously, the overall rapid decay of vast urban communities, seem to prove that single parent homes are ineffective. Sadly, the children almost always end up either dead or in jail.

Given the grim circumstances, why do urban women continue to have out of wedlock children, without any male assistance or help from their male partners?

Rural and suburban single parent households issues are sufficiently low to not hold your interest?

Old 06-18-2013, 05:41 PM

26,513 posts, read 15,092,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Yes because it lost manufacturing jobs. LOL people left to go find work that no longer existed in Detroit.

No, I don't. First I have no idea if that stat is correct and the problems of Detroit are owed to vanishing jobs, the city's economy was too reliant and still might be too reliant on the auto industry. The American auto industry has been in decline for decades as jobs have disappeared this has devastated the city of Detroit.

This is the primary problem of Detroit of America, not the relationship status of parents.
I am not saying the primary problem of Detroit is one or the other. I think having 74% of kids come from single parent households is a problem though.

LifeSiteNews Mobile | The number of US children living in single-parent homes has nearly doubled in 50 years: Census data

"A 2011 University of Melbourne study found that absent fathers were linked with higher rates of juvenile delinquency, while a Canadian study showed that kids whose fathers were active parents in early and middle childhood had fewer behavior problems and higher intellectual abilities as they grew older, even among socio-economically at-risk families."

I don't see how kids coming from single parent homes won't struggle more than their peers with 2 parents. Of course there are exceptions, I am speaking of the groups as a whole. As a teacher you can pick out the kids that perform poorly behaviorally or academically and the vast majority of the time there is a "parent issue" of some kind.

As far as the numbers, I am actually wrong. I kept saying 70%, I was low balling it. Detroit has 74% of its kids coming from single parent homes. Detroit also has absurdly high rates of HS drop outs, HS behavior issues, kids determined to be qualified for special education - especially "emotionally impaired" as the sped designation, poor test scores, etc...

I spent some time teaching inner city Detroit kids - often their home life is depressing and soul crushing. You don't think having a father in your life is important?

Raising Kids in the City of Detroit | Metro Parent, Michigan

Not great across the country either:

72% Of Black Kids Raised In Single Parent Household, 25 Percent In U.S. | WCHB-AM: NewsTalk 1200

Children in single-parent families by race - Data Across States - KIDS COUNT Data Center

Old 06-18-2013, 06:11 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,301,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I am not saying the primary problem of Detroit is one or the other. I think having 74% of kids come from single parent households is a problem though.

LifeSiteNews Mobile | The number of US children living in single-parent homes has nearly doubled in 50 years: Census data

"A 2011 University of Melbourne study found that absent fathers were linked with higher rates of juvenile delinquency, while a Canadian study showed that kids whose fathers were active parents in early and middle childhood had fewer behavior problems and higher intellectual abilities as they grew older, even among socio-economically at-risk families."

I don't see how kids coming from single parent homes won't struggle more than their peers with 2 parents. Of course there are exceptions, I am speaking of the groups as a whole. As a teacher you can pick out the kids that perform poorly behaviorally or academically and the vast majority of the time there is a "parent issue" of some kind.

As far as the numbers, I am actually wrong. I kept saying 70%, I was low balling it. Detroit has 74% of its kids coming from single parent homes. Detroit also has absurdly high rates of HS drop outs, HS behavior issues, kids determined to be qualified for special education - especially "emotionally impaired" as the sped designation, poor test scores, etc...

I spent some time teaching inner city Detroit kids - often their home life is depressing and soul crushing. You don't think having a father in your life is important?

Raising Kids in the City of Detroit | Metro Parent, Michigan

Not great across the country either:

72% Of Black Kids Raised In Single Parent Household, 25 Percent In U.S. | WCHB-AM: NewsTalk 1200

Children in single-parent families by race - Data Across States - KIDS COUNT Data Center
I am saying the primary problem is the loss of jobs. Again, the relationship status of parents taken separately from other issues is meaningless to me.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:33 PM

582 posts, read 1,119,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I believe birth control should be provided to ALL women (and men), regardless of income, free of charge.

"Free" appeals to almost all of us, and I believe that if all women could get birth control at no cost, more would use it.

Free, no questions asked, and it might just reduce the number of children born into poverty. It could also mean fewer children the taxpayers end up supporting, and could very well reduce the number of abortions performed every year.

Win/win.
Birth control is actually free in some states, depending on income, of course. While visiting family earlier this year, I actually enrolled a 20-year-old female relative in a free program offered in Alabama to low-income women between the ages of 19 – 55. Alabama Medicaid Agency

I enrolled her because "she ain't doin' nothin' (sexually)." You see, when young women "ain't doin' nothin' (sexually)," they always seem to get pregnant . So, I took it upon myself to try and prevent another young black female from becoming the stereotypical young black female: single parent with three kids by three different men – none of them paying child support.

I just wish that more women – mothers, grandmothers, aunts, cousins, etc. – would do the same for young women in their families as well. Do you think a 19-year-old young woman (with no kids) would be offended if you gave her a website about free birth control? What about having a friendly, semi-serious conversation with a 17-year-old relative about birth control?

Like I said, most unplanned pregnancies seem to happen when young women "ain't doin' nothin' (sexually)." Why not be proactive instead of reactive when it comes to preventing single parenthood ?

Old 06-18-2013, 07:55 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,473,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I frankly do not believe you were feasting on lobster, crab legs and top quality steaks as you claim.
Food stamps only gives you so much money. Not much. Depending on your income too. Either way, you only have a set amount for a month, so, if you buy expensive food items you won't have that much to eat.

I'm not sure why people (not you) make a big deal out of some people on food stamps buying some high priced cut of meat. They're probably not making the wisest choice on how to spend their monthly food stamps allotment that will give them enough food to spread out over the entire month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies