Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 10:00 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,473,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332 View Post
I've thought about this controversial issue for quite sometime.

I'm a black American woman that simply can not understand why so many poor urban women continue to have children, without any male support. Obviously, the overall rapid decay of vast urban communities, seem to prove that single parent homes are ineffective. Sadly, the children almost always end up either dead or in jail.

Given the grim circumstances, why do urban women continue to have out of wedlock children, without any male assistance or help from their male partners?
I'm not going to get religious but I'm going to suggest a model of thinking that secular people could adopt if the wanted to. Prior to Vatican II the pastoral care was one of which you criticized the person for not being where "they should be."

This was the method you hear Baby Boomers so complain about that injured them in some ways. E.g., "You better get a job as a man or you're a loser and sinner."

You hear secular people berate others, with this method of thinking all the time.

After Vatican II a new model of pastoral care was adopted. You no longer berate the person, but accept the person where they are at, and try to guide them to a better direction, to reach the point at which "they should be at."

So, applying that newer model/method to a secular issue let me say that I think the women in some ways need to be commended for giving birth to their children, and still hanging in there each and every day. The biological fathers usually are not, right?

But they need to be made aware of--if they're already not--what their poor choices in sleeping with guys simply regard by them as "cool" or whatever, without the stability of marriage, without a real commitment from a man, results in.

I'm not a Republican. And I really don't like many of them. But I don't like the Democrats much better. But Black-America might consider looking to Africa, to black African families, rather than everything yapped out of the party of Democrats mouth. At least in a few areas. Or at least in the area of "family."

And it's not that I like everything in the black African cultures. Okay, there are somethings they could learn from Black-Americans from. We don't beat up lesbians like they do in South Africa or throw gay men in prisons like they do in some other parts of Africa. And we give women more space to talk. But black Africans even living in the U.S. have a strong respect for family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 10:04 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,260,562 times
Quote:
It doesn't just happen, obviously they are engaging in sex. They should at least demand that the guy use a condom.
I believe birth control should be provided to ALL women (and men), regardless of income, free of charge.

"Free" appeals to almost all of us, and I believe that if all women could get birth control at no cost, more would use it.

Free, no questions asked, and it might just reduce the number of children born into poverty. It could also mean fewer children the taxpayers end up supporting, and could very well reduce the number of abortions performed every year.

Win/win.

Last edited by Cinebar; 06-16-2013 at 10:51 PM..

Old 06-16-2013, 10:26 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,766,886 times
Quote:
It doesn't just happen, obviously they are engaging in sex. They should at least demand that the guy use a condom.
"Should" does not enter into it. They are doing what feels best in the moment.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:55 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,021,070 times
Many of these mothers of all these children most likely grew up without fathers to begin with so go out and look for love and think they find it many times when in reality the guy is just looking for a good time. They get pregnant, they leave, and the women go looking for that love again. The cycle marches on.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:06 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,532,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I believe birth control should be provided to ALL women (and men), regardless of income, free of charge.

"Free" appeals to almost all of us, and I believe that if all women could get birth control at no cost, more would use it.

Free, no questions asked, and it might just reduce the number of children born into poverty. It could also mean fewer children the taxpayers end up supporting, and could very well reduce the number of abortions performed every year.

Win/win.
Ah, exactly how would B/C be provided free? Someone has to produce these products, and they usually want to be paid for them. Why not say it like you mean, that you want others to pay for them?

Even so, aren't "taxpayer purchased" condoms available at nearly every clinic and Planned Parenthood, let alone high schools?

Old 06-16-2013, 11:16 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
I believe we have reached the point where BC can never be free enough or cheap enough for some people, they just won't use it. Period. I don't know the answer to the cycle of poverty problem. I hate seeing kids grow up to do the same stupid things or worse than their parents did but we won't take them away just because the mom is poor and single. Maybe we should but we won't.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I believe we have reached the point where BC can never be free enough or cheap enough for some people, they just won't use it. Period. I don't know the answer to the cycle of poverty problem. I hate seeing kids grow up to do the same stupid things or worse than their parents did but we won't take them away just because the mom is poor and single. Maybe we should but we won't.
Like I said prior many didn't grow up with parents, as in plural, themselves so were never taught properly. Just my opinion but there is a very defined roll for a mother and father in each child's life be it a boy or a girl. Now many will argue that is BS, many will defend their single parenthood as I'm sure I would if I were in that situation, many will so oh same sex couples can raise kids just as good and they can put together their studies about every parent possibility but none of it is reality.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Ah, exactly how would B/C be provided free? Someone has to produce these products, and they usually want to be paid for them. Why not say it like you mean, that you want others to pay for them?

Even so, aren't "taxpayer purchased" condoms available at nearly every clinic and Planned Parenthood, let alone high schools?
You can't force children to abstain from sex to these people but they think you can somehow force em to use birth control. It's just another example of brain damage.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:38 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 27 days ago)

29,573 posts, read 16,560,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
I didnt just see people I did it myself. Seriously, I wasnt getting rich but i had enough on that EBT to eat vvery high on the hog. I could hardly spend it all on food and sometimes helped out family with groceries
are you trolling ?

Old 06-17-2013, 12:06 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,076,898 times
This is true.... the stats always indicate that 2 parent households always are better for kids
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies