Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 05:46 AM

26,513 posts, read 15,092,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Y'all want to close all of the planned parenthoods, right?
They've lost lots of funding because of your type. R's are closing clinics every chance that they get.
Don't you whine and moan about supporting the poor?
Pay a little up front or for 18 years.
Try a little fiscal responsibility...

One day of the cost of war would pay for birth control for all people wanting it for years.
Isn't there a responsible way?

Abstinence, or condoms, or the pill, or you know the dad actually being a dad?

You seem to be under the impression that just killing the baby or being a single mom or the only options here.

What ever happened to personal responsibility?

Why are conservatives attacked for trying to encourage family and responsibility.

Did you know, that black married couples make almost as much as white married couples. The disparity between blacks and whites with income is fueled by blacks having far more single mothers. Poverty has become feminized. Single moms with kids. How does Detroit, a majority black city, having 70% of its kids in single mother homes help its future prospects?

P.S. Obama greatly escalated the war in Afghanistan, followed Bush's Iraq withdrawal timeline, used force in Libya, escalated proxy war in Somalia, started a drone war in Yemen, escalated drone use in Pakistan, has had over 20,000 air strikes as president, and has deployed special forces in 75 countries and counting..... Obama is Bush III
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 05:46 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,024,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
You DO realize that a huge percentage of people recieiving SNAP and other benefits actually work, right?

It's too overused, and there ARE people who abuse the system, but it's not a left or right issue at base.
It's a national issue.

You know, most changes in the workforce and society happened when folks got fed up.
When our government subsidizes for a lack of what one's salary can provide, guess what.
Nothing changes.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:04 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,246,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Isn't there a responsible way?

Abstinence, or condoms, or the pill,
or you know the dad actually being a dad?

You seem to be under the impression that just killing the baby or being a single mom or the only options here.

What ever happened to personal responsibility?

Why are conservatives attacked for trying to encourage family and responsibility.

Did you know, that black married couples make almost as much as white married couples. The disparity between blacks and whites with income is fueled by blacks having far more single mothers. Poverty has become feminized. Single moms with kids. How does Detroit, a majority black city, having 70% of its kids in single mother homes help its future prospects?

P.S. Obama greatly escalated the war in Afghanistan, followed Bush's Iraq withdrawal timeline, used force in Libya, escalated proxy war in Somalia, started a drone war in Yemen, escalated drone use in Pakistan, has had over 20,000 air strikes as president, and has deployed special forces in 75 countries and counting..... Obama is Bush III
You've covered a lot of ground in this post, but allow me to say something about the part I bolded.
Yes, aspirins worked quite well in the olden days.

"Aspirin Between Their Knees" (contraception?) - YouTube

Old 06-17-2013, 06:11 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,948,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332 View Post
I'm interested in why these women continue to have children, when they know the grim reality.
It's sad, that for an educated person, you still think in monoliths. No person thinks as a group. Each person thinks in terms of thier life[not the group someone has pigeon hole us into]. Most all people dont live their lives thinking in grim outcomes.

We all live our lives, as best we can, and live with our choices. Not just black women, or women...all people make mistakes as deal as best they can. People are not constantly looking at every decision in their life as a life changer.

We are all out here trying to make a go of it.

Sad, that as an educated person, you have not figured that out yet.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:15 AM

26,513 posts, read 15,092,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
You've covered a lot of ground in this post, but allow me to say something about the part I bolded.
Yes, aspirins worked quite well in the olden days.

"Aspirin Between Their Knees" (contraception?) - YouTube
Do you disagree with my post? What specifically? I don't know what that comment has to do with what I wrote.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:17 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,813,353 times
Why? My own theory? These young women have no hope and lack self-confidence. The only things they believe they can hope for is a man and failing that, a child to love them unconditionally.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:59 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,301,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
And making moral judgements as a society is a good thing. This particular moral judgement - that it is wrong to have children outside of wedlock - was one of the most important factors in the development of modern civilization. Without it most of us would still be subsistance farmers.

We do still make some of those distinctions. Many people take their education, income and location into account when deciding whether or not to have kids. But most see a two parent home as the most basic requirement.
The idea that not having children born out of wedlock is an important moral judgement is opinion, but whatever.

The thing to remember though is once that moral judgement is made it means that society is set up to punish those single parents and their children. In other words, as a society WE WANT the children of single parents to do worse so more people won't make that immoral choice.

It then becomes very odd to not acknowledge that as a society we want to make it worse for single parents and their children so more people won't do it.

In terms of your other point, we really don't have those discussions. We don't say to parents who are high school grads, that their children will have worse life outcomes when compared to the children of college grads.

We don't say to two parent black homes that their children will have worse life outcomes when compared to white children from two parent households.

We don't say to married couples who are making $35,000 that their children will have worse outcomes then parents born to children of families with much higher incomes.

We don't say to parents in the "south" for instance that stats show that their children have far worse outcomes than children born in other regions of the nation.

As a society we don't say if only parents of college educated, wealthy people non southern, non black parents had children, this society would be better. Even though statistically we can point to stats that show worse outcomes.

Yet for single parents because we have made that moral judgement we do say that to single parents, don't have children because they'll have worse outcomes.

Again statistically a lot of parents from all walks of life shouldn't be having children using that same criteria.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:59 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,173,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Did you know, that black married couples make almost as much as white married couples. The disparity between blacks and whites with income is fueled by blacks having far more single mothers. Poverty has become feminized. Single moms with kids.
This is a well kept secret that isn't talked about nearly enough. It has held true in my life experience. Until the black father reclaims his rightful role, black communities will continue to suffer.

The other thing that isn't talked about is that an individual married black woman will have less children on average than a married white woman but an individual unmarried black woman will give birth to more out-of-wedlock children on average than an unmarried white woman who has had an out-of-wedlock child.

We need to start having honest discussions within our own community about this. The white man isn't going to fix this for us, they have proven they only make it worse. We need to figure out how to empower the black male, and saying he needs the government help to do it, isn't it.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:13 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,173,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
As a society we don't say if only parents of college educated, wealthy people non southern, non black parents had children, this society would be better. Even though statistically we can point to stats that show worse outcomes.

Yet for single parents because we have made that moral judgement we do say that to single parents, don't have children because they'll have worse outcomes.

Again statistically a lot of parents from all walks of life shouldn't be having children using that same criteria.
Statistically, no other variable has as strong of a correlation to poor outcomes for children than being born out-of-wedlock, especially if they continue to live in that single parent household and there are more out-of-wedlock children born in it. It is even worse if there are multiple fathers. It is what it is. Creating false outrage that people are being moralistic and judgmental to say it needs to be addressed is disingenuous. It's a matter of priorities, the one that creates the biggest problem is that one that needs to be focused on the most.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:45 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,544,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
I'm not going to get religious but I'm going to suggest a model of thinking that secular people could adopt if the wanted to. Prior to Vatican II the pastoral care was one of which you criticized the person for not being where "they should be."

This was the method you hear Baby Boomers so complain about that injured them in some ways. E.g., "You better get a job as a man or you're a loser and sinner."

You hear secular people berate others, with this method of thinking all the time.

After Vatican II a new model of pastoral care was adopted. You no longer berate the person, but accept the person where they are at, and try to guide them to a better direction, to reach the point at which "they should be at."

So, applying that newer model/method to a secular issue let me say that I think the women in some ways need to be commended for giving birth to their children, and still hanging in there each and every day. The biological fathers usually are not, right?

But they need to be made aware of--if they're already not--what their poor choices in sleeping with guys simply regard by them as "cool" or whatever, without the stability of marriage, without a real commitment from a man, results in.

I'm not a Republican. And I really don't like many of them. But I don't like the Democrats much better. But Black-America might consider looking to Africa, to black African families, rather than everything yapped out of the party of Democrats mouth. At least in a few areas. Or at least in the area of "family."

And it's not that I like everything in the black African cultures. Okay, there are somethings they could learn from Black-Americans from. We don't beat up lesbians like they do in South Africa or throw gay men in prisons like they do in some other parts of Africa. And we give women more space to talk. But black Africans even living in the U.S. have a strong respect for family.
Thank you for your perspective and thoughtful post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies