Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 08:52 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,519,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Well now bless her heart, yall.

Maybe Fox News will give her a job doing cooking segments during some of their shows. Like a culinary version of Pat Buchanan.
Pat Buchanan works for MSNBC.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:00 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,949,710 times
If she dropped the word on one of her current shows or in a public appearance, I'd be in agreement with the Food Network.

Their action yesterday only proves they are kow-towing to the vocal minority of people that live to find fault in others while protruding a holier-than-thou attitude on us.

Wow, I can only imagine if I was held accountable for things that came out of my mouth almost 30 years ago. Times change and things are perceived differently over time.

Ladies, try showing up to the gym today in your spandex workout suit with leg warmers and 80's hairdo. Yep, for the most part you wouldn't want to be caught dead in that getup, but you rocked it in back in the day. Not that an 80's workout look is the same as a vile word, but the concept is the same; something that was part of life in the past is no longer acceptable now.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:42 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,297,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
"Dirt Off Your Shoulder"

He used it 8 times in that song/ That one song.

He could've easily changed the word to say, person or people.

If you feeling like a pimp person, go and brush your shoulders off,
Ladies is pimps too, go and brush your shoulders off
People is crazy baby, don't forget that boy told you.

Then again, it kind of loses something. It sounds less real to me. Like he's fronting. He's not totally going HAM on that ****. IF you can't go HAM, go HOME.

*Drops the mic*

JAY-Z - Dirt Off Your Shoulder - YouTube
So what? Jay Z would've been a star had he NEVER uttered the N word once. His stuff is simply that clever. Reasonable Doubt was a masterpiece of an album and you can't tell me that had it not been for ONE WORD, Jay Z would've been a flop at hip hop.

That's bullsh+t.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
But it's true that rap music is full of the term.
So what? People wanna hear their favorite rappers use the word apparently. These rappers are black and Latino...it's their right. That has NOTHING to do with Paula Deen.

And again, I'm against her firing...it's PC crap. But that's got squat to do with rappers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Pat Buchanan works for MSNBC.
Hey...back up. I love Pat Buchanan.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:52 AM

11,394 posts, read 16,783,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Jesse Jackson to the rescue. I'm surprised it took him this long. He must see some big bucks in this.

Paula Deen being fired by Food Network, investigated by Jesse... | www.ajc.com
From the man who admitted SPITTING in white peoples food when he was a waiter.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:55 AM

51,134 posts, read 36,826,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Loved Matt's anger at being stood up! Hope he shows for interviews when he's sent out the door which by all accounts is coming.
He didn't seem angry at all to me - actually they all expressed concern for her (Matt, Al and Savannah) when they announced she cancelled, adding they consider her a friend of the show (she's been on numerous times). She didn't stand them up, anyway, her managers called the show and cancelled.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:02 AM

51,134 posts, read 36,826,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Bullhockey! Blacks have the same opportunities to succeed or fail as everyone else. If they find themselves falling behind for reasons other than the fact that there aren't as many of them, they need to look within and fix their personal issues instead of sitting around whining and crying. Acceptance of responsibility is a requirement, which seems to be a hard pill for some to swallow.
I would disagree with this based on my own experiences. My supervisor in a job I held years ago was black, educated, a nice person and responsible, and also one of my best friends. When we'd go to a store, people would watch us like a hawk to make sure we didn't shoplift, when I'd be in the same store alone, no following or suspicion...when we'd go out and I'd say "how about ______ bar?" she'd say "I don't think I'd be welcome there", and after she said it I realized it was probably true. I also don't think she would have gotten the apartment I have now, based only on the fact she is black. That attitude permeates employers, as well. There may be laws against discrimination, but it happens on a daily basis for many black Americans.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:05 AM

40,992 posts, read 49,359,544 times
I wonder if BET ever plays old Richard Pryor or Eddie Murphy movies.

Ever heard any of their old comic routines ?

Old 06-22-2013, 10:06 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,503,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Poor woman. She just can't get over the civil war. Her poor great granddaddy shot himself because he lost his 30 slaves.

He just couldn't bring himself to pay his workers to run the plantation.

Typical Republican I would say.
I read somewhere that when she appeared on that show where they help various celebrities trace their ancestries, when she learned that her family descended from a plantation owner who owned dozens of slaves that she lit up like a Christmas tree.

That's good stock, I tell ya!

I guess some people just know no shame.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:16 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,503,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I would disagree with this based on my own experiences. My supervisor in a job I held years ago was black, educated, a nice person and responsible, and also one of my best friends. When we'd go to a store, people would watch us like a hawk to make sure we didn't shoplift, when I'd be in the same store alone, no following or suspicion...when we'd go out and I'd say "how about ______ bar?" she'd say "I don't think I'd be welcome there", and after she said it I realized it was probably true. I also don't think she would have gotten the apartment I have now, based only on the fact she is black. That attitude permeates employers, as well. There may be laws against discrimination, but it happens on a daily basis for many black Americans.
This right here ^^^^

Too bad the haters and racists refuse to acknowledge this very true reality of race relations in this country. Their premise is that if an African American is having to struggle in life that they just aren't trying hard enough like their fellow white Americans must be, they need to look 'within', for their struggles must be their own fault. I doubt they actually believe this themselves, but they figure it sounds good and they are then off the hook for their discrimination in their own minds. The human psyche is very clever with extraordinary rationalizations in order to maintain mental equilibrium.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:33 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,971,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
This right here ^^^^

Too bad the haters and racists refuse to acknowledge this very true reality of race relations in this country. Their premise is that if an African American is having to struggle in life that they just aren't trying hard enough like their fellow white Americans must be, they need to look 'within', for their struggles must be their own fault. I doubt they actually believe this themselves, but they figure it sounds good and they are then off the hook for their discrimination in their own minds. The human psyche is very clever with extraordinary rationalizations in order to maintain mental equilibrium.
Sure..... I should try a lot harder next time someone assumes I planning to shoplift in their store and follows me around for no reason or gives me the 3rd degree when I am attending a work conference or meeting. Or how bout when a random person, after listening to me talk for a moment either decides to advise me about choosing a career or asks me about my GPA. Of the ones who think I am lying when I tell them what college I attended.

I am obviously not trying hard enough or taking responsibility for my actions.

Being a black person in the US mend dealing with little or big slights on a daily basis.

But since I don't help the agenda that all black people are lazy and stupid, people like me don't make the news.

On an autocorrecting iDevice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies