Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 09:52 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Felony? Canada can deny you entry for a misdemeanor. Thousands of Americans have been denied entry to Canada for a DUI conviction. It was so bad and making such a dent into their tourism, they had to change the rules. Now if you land you can, MAYBE, obtain a one time waiver to get in. Otherwise, you have to wait for 10 yrs, AFTER all probation, etc is completed, then apply for a "Rehabilitation Certificate." Of course, that is only American's going into Canada; not Canadian's coming here. We of course, let anyone in.

What an absolute load of crap~!

It's the same both ways.

The question asked when entering the U.S. is: "Have you ever been arrested?" NOTE Not charged, not found guilty but just "have you ever been arrested?"\

This means if you have ever been detained for questioning by ANY police force within Canada or the U.S.

This means; and I state this as clearly as possible, if you were detained as a matter of course because you took part in 60's protest BUT were never charged or formally arrested, you are in a database that Canada willingly and by treaty now shares with your border agents and must have applied for the "deemed rehabilitated" certificate from U.S. authorities or you do not enter PERIOD!

Where you folks get the idea that we can just cross without any requirements is just stupid; that's your other border.

As long time RV'ers to your southwest dating back to the earlyt nineties we were routinely subjected to secondary inspections where our RV was searched for alcohol and tobacco products over the allowed limit. This got to be a standing joke with your agents who would often kibbitz with us about "you know the drill by now." Only after many years of crossing regularly at Detroit/Windsor did our names and tags get put on list of folks who had been checked thoroughly a number of times and were considered low risk.

A friend who was caught joy riding with three others in a car owned by the driver's father but being driven without his permission was put into the system in 1974 when the father of the boy thought it would be a lesson to have them detained by the police for a few hours. Guess what? Yep, his name along with the others went into a file somewhere.

My friends father later emigrated to the U.S. (Fort Lauderdale) and when my friend showed up at the border in 1986 on his way to visit his father he answered "no" to the above "arrest" question and was refused entry on the spot! He was never charged, he was never formally arrested, but there is no facility in the systems to differentiate between a cop doing his paper work to "scare" a bunch of kids and that paper-work then being entered onto fiche film or later disc's in a bulk transfer.

He is a regular traveller back and forth now but has been admonished to guard that little pink certificate he has, as it is no longer issued and todays process for the "deemed rehabilitated" is costly and time consuming.

The border between our two countries is of parallel concern for agents of both sides with exactly the same degree of uncertainty at the mere behest of the particular agents "feelings" of the moment. He or she takes a dislike to you and you're toast. You then come under a whole new set of guidelines with the second question asked being: "have you ever been denied entry to the U.S.?" bringing with it a much more elevated level of scrutiny.

Canadians are not eligible to holler "racism" and get immediate attention if denied entry.

Canadians are not treated merely with a bus ticket back to Canada if they are caught in your country illegally.

Canadians caught in your country illegally will have a criminal conviction shown on their record to make them FOREVER persona-non-grata AND if caught there illegally multiple times will perform some jail time and NOT just simply sent home to swim across once more.

All of this stuff is as it should be whenever a border is present.

Please do something about your lower one before cutting off your nose to spite your tourism face on the northern one.

My wife and I are the quintessential examples of what I believe to be your ideal border crossers; retired individuals who own a house in Florida, a car, titled and insured that stays in Florida, paying property taxes in Florida and who do NOT make any income from activities in the U.S. but are down there SPENDING a significant portion of the fruits of our over 45 years of labour earned in Canada.

I willingly tip 20% to waiters and consider it a good deal compared to the cost of the same meal served in Canada. We donate to a couple of local charities down there where we can actually see the result of our contribution to the needy. We volunteer our time to local org's with footprints requiring much volunteer assistance with very little government support as those are the ones that are integrity based in my mind.

If you are at all interested in comparing "apples to apples" perform a google about your IRS from 8840 required to be filled out by Canadians who are merely visiting and spending money down there. You will be surprised to learn that mere situation of being inside the U.S. for a total of 183 days spread over three preceding years according to a specific formulae can result in Canadians having to file an IRS tax return and pay income taxes on CANADIAN DERIVED INCOME! Sound fair to you?

We know full well and live in fear of that time we could run afoul of a particularly stupid TSA agent at an airport that could ruin our day and subsequent crossings but, that is the crap shoot with crossing either direction.

Last edited by BruSan; 06-22-2013 at 10:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 09:57 AM

232 posts, read 343,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Why?
If you want to be Canadian, see if they'll take you and relinquish your US citizenship.
What makes you think Canada wants any part of this absurdity?
How about being able to live and work freely in those two nations?

Old 06-22-2013, 09:59 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,269,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumsen View Post
How about being able to live and work freely in those two nations?
You can, it's not that difficult. It's more difficult for Canadians to work here unless they own a business.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:16 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,388,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
As long as you don't have a felony you can travel freely between Canada and the USA. Working is different obviously.
Several years ago they made it so you had to have a passport to cross borders. It was never like that before. Makes it a tad more difficult no doubt. I've crossed into three provinces in my life (every time traveling for hockey) and my sibling is now married to Canuck, and prior it was easier to cross. Sad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
We need the border to prevent the United States from being infected with liberalism from Canada.

We already have enough liberal elements to deal with here - so it makes sense to provide some mechanism of quarantine.
That's very true. It's far more liberal - all the state considered, that is - than America. You make a very valid point. Their influence would further erode our way of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I was thinking exactly the same thing...especially about the gun culture. I actually like the fact we have a more egalitarian neighbor, where people respect each other, aren't as angry, don't shoot each other at the drop of a hat, are kind and good to each other and are a little more laid back than us in the states.
lol, the feeling is mutual.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:17 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,388,997 times
Also for everyone who doesn't know, Canadians are very xenophobic and are just as anti-immigrant as we Americans.

Also, they are letting their country be flooded by third worlders too much as well.

Canada's annual intake of 250,000 immigrants is far too high and makes no sense

Old 06-22-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
I never said I didnt want them to come shop in the Soo. I said border security should be beefed up in a way that they couldnt engage in criminal activities such as tax evasion and black markets
Oh brother; How do Canadians evade YOUR taxes when they are purchasing stuff down there? Duuuuh.

Not like this of course:

Independent Bloggers' Alliance: Americans "Filching" Canada's Health Insurance System by the Thousands

Examining Canada's health care system - Susan Campbell | Still Small Voice

Read down through the comments a bit.

Do you have even the slightest idea about the "pot-meet-kettle" conundrum you're opening up with your biased comments? Even that epitome of Republican tea party anti-socialized healthcare bullcrap, Palin, admitted she and her family availed themselves of free Canadian health care when all she had to do was drive across the border for it. Sheesh.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:57 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,024,945 times
We should build a border fence on the U.S.-Canadian border.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Also for everyone who doesn't know, Canadians are very xenophobic and are just as anti-immigrant as we Americans.

Also, they are letting their country be flooded by third worlders too much as well.

Canada's annual intake of 250,000 immigrants is far too high and makes no sense
I guess it makes perfect sense to post a racist web page as your source when you could have done some more relevant research instead. So along with you allowing and encouraging illegals from below you, it's your system that could arguably be termed senseless and needs some drastic adjustments to raise the bar, agreed? .

A new immigration point system for Canada starts in 2012

Old 06-22-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
We should build a border fence on the U.S.-Canadian border.
Makes sense to me; I'd then be able to move my winter nest to Cuba and get better bang for the buck.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:10 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,589,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Felony? Canada can deny you entry for a misdemeanor. Thousands of Americans have been denied entry to Canada for a DUI conviction. It was so bad and making such a dent into their tourism, they had to change the rules. Now if you land you can, MAYBE, obtain a one time waiver to get in. Otherwise, you have to wait for 10 yrs, AFTER all probation, etc is completed, then apply for a "Rehabilitation Certificate." Of course, that is only American's going into Canada; not Canadian's coming here. We of course, let anyone in.
Canada doesn't use the term Felony or Misdemeanor, if you can't get that right, I can pretty much guarantee the rest of your statement is also incorrect... and it is.

FYI our criminal offenses are either Indictable or Summary Conviction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies