Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2007, 06:02 PM

788 posts, read 2,111,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Who are "they"?
Whoever inspected my mail, whether it was the post office or some government agency. I didn't look into it because I wasn't worried about it at the time.

I'm guessing it wasn't the post office though, because the newsletter was just a sheet of paper, stapled into thirds, the ends open. In other words, whoever inspected it did so to read the content of my newsletter, not to make sure there weren't any illegal substances or items inside.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:07 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,293,564 times
Back to the original topic. I think it's too soon for those that voted for Bush to have any regrets. It won't be until years later when books/articles document the full ramifications of this war, budget deficit, diminished international relations/and creation of more enemies with access to nuclear weapons, overdependence on foreign imports, etc. that regrets will occur and more people will view Bush as being one of the worse presidents in our history. This is coming from an Independent that has trouble fully supporting either party and thinks both are lacking good presidential candidates.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:00 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,191,559 times
Quote:
And you have experienced these atrocities personally?

Or have you just read crtiticisms of them in the left-wing press?

Do you know how many library records have been requested as a reult of the Patriot Act (which was re-instated with broad bipartisan support)?

Have you had your wires tapped?

Have you been detained without a warrant, and told not to talk about it (oh that's right, you can't talk about it)?

Or are you simply repeating things you've heard about, with no actual knowledge of them, or any concept of why leaders from both parties believe that heightened security is necessary to protect the country from a stateless, criminal enemy?

In the absence of any credible evidence from you to the contrary, I must assume the latter.
In other words if YOU don't see it, it didn't happen.
I'm sure you're 100% convinced the "left win press" tells nothing but lies.
Also, the Bush administration tells nothing but the truth all the time.
All you have to do is believe everything they tell you, what can be easier?

Old 11-11-2007, 07:03 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,340,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artliquide View Post
Whoever inspected my mail, whether it was the post office or some government agency. I didn't look into it because I wasn't worried about it at the time.

I'm guessing it wasn't the post office though, because the newsletter was just a sheet of paper, stapled into thirds, the ends open. In other words, whoever inspected it did so to read the content of my newsletter, not to make sure there weren't any illegal substances or items inside.
It may well have been someone in your own organization, then. That would hardly involve the Patriot Act.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:04 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,126,326 times
Can't speak for the member you were referencing, but I just remembered how outraged I was when I learned that Veterans for Peace's emails were being monitored. As an honorary member of the NM Chapter, I was beyond shocked to learn that our innocent emails announcing meetings, cookies to bring and change of venue, in addition to protest ideas on days like today, were being monitored by the government. It's on the record, and probably online somewhere (it became public information sometime around March, 2007).

And, the membership were primarily 'Nam Vets.

Quote:
And you have experienced these atrocities personally?

Or have you just read crtiticisms of them in the left-wing press?

Do you know how many library records have been requested as a reult of the Patriot Act (which was re-instated with broad bipartisan support)?

Have you had your wires tapped?

Have you been detained without a warrant, and told not to talk about it (oh that's right, you can't talk about it)?

Or are you simply repeating things you've heard about, with no actual knowledge of them, or any concept of why leaders from both parties believe that heightened security is necessary to protect the country from a stateless, criminal enemy?

In the absence of any credible evidence from you to the contrary, I must assume the latter.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:06 PM

Quote:
It may well have been someone in your own organization, then. That would hardly involve the Patriot Act.
My own organization? What do you mean?

Old 11-11-2007, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
In other words if YOU don't see it, it didn't happen.
I'm sure you're 100% convinced the "left win press" tells nothing but lies.
Also, the Bush administration tells nothing but the truth all the time.
All you have to do is believe everything they tell you, what can be easier?
None of your assertions or assumptions is logically related to my questions to you, which involve your willingness to see conspiracies and abuses of civil liberties where you either have no evidence or no rational explanation of your suspicions, beyond rumors and partisan political claims.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:15 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,445,927 times
Default How George Bush became the new Saddam

How George Bush became the new Saddam | Macleans.ca - Canada - Features

He is certainly something to be proud of.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artliquide View Post
My own organization? What do you mean?
The context of your post suggested that someone where you worked was responsible for opening your mail.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:00 PM

Quote:
The context of your post suggested that someone where you worked was responsible for opening your mail.
I never implied that. Oh, I see how you got that. No, I don't work at a high school...yet. This was mail I received at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies