U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-08-2007, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Near Manito
19,521 posts, read 20,930,762 times
Reputation: 13858

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
My dad's a chickenhawk too; I think it's hypocritical to be a fan of a war you would not yourself go and fight in.
I don't think your dad (or anyone else) is a "fan" of war. Only the jihadists really fit that description.

 
Old 11-08-2007, 04:59 PM
 
Location: Earth Wanderer, longing for the stars.
12,408 posts, read 16,502,726 times
Reputation: 8779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys View Post
I was thinking that those who don't like Bush must be feeling like horse stuff themselves, or at least stepped in it.

In case you haven't noticed, the French have come to his rescue. It won't be long until the rest of the world falls into the line up...
I think the French have restricted the radical Sharia Moslems so much that they are expecting some splashback and so think an alliance with the US might come in handy. You know, the enemy of my enemy is my friend?
 
Old 11-08-2007, 05:02 PM
 
Location: Earth Wanderer, longing for the stars.
12,408 posts, read 16,502,726 times
Reputation: 8779
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
What is most sad is that we are even trying to some how justify this type of activity in order to save a couple of peoples back sides not because it is right or wrong. In addition, this like other severe methods of extracting information have repeatedly through history been deemed bunk as a manner of getting any reliable information since these people will tell you anything in order to stop it.

So here we are today, debating whether or not this is torture even though we have convicted people in the past for war crimes for using this against our own people. We have a government that publicly stated they have used it on at least three occasions, when it has already been accepted as being torture.

.
Well, they could not deny that they have and are doing it. If they did admit it as torture, which it is, it is just another nail in the coffin for countries to go after them for war crimes. This is already happening - countries accusing them of being war criminals. And so they are.
 
Old 11-08-2007, 05:18 PM
 
Location: Arizona
5,396 posts, read 7,075,566 times
Reputation: 1197
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Well, they could not deny that they have and are doing it. If they did admit it as torture, which it is, it is just another nail in the coffin for countries to go after them for war crimes. This is already happening - countries accusing them of being war criminals. And so they are.
The sad part of all this is the complete loss of credibility we now have as a moral leader in the eyes of the world. Global polls show we are already becoming irrelevant when we speak against atrocities in Darfur and other places, for example. People are not buying us on our moral high horse anymore.

Not to mention the danger it puts our troops around the world to get the same treatment in retribution.

Last edited by bily4; 11-08-2007 at 05:28 PM..
 
Old 11-08-2007, 05:39 PM
 
17,865 posts, read 19,846,744 times
Reputation: 7501
Sympathy... more like pity...
 
Old 11-08-2007, 08:36 PM
 
Location: Blankity-blank!
11,449 posts, read 14,329,113 times
Reputation: 6904
No, not sympathy. Try a good, hardy, pat on the back. Those who voted for Bush the second time believe everything is alright, we're safer now and we've been winning the war for the last six years, the economy is going just great, and there's nothing to worry about, everything is in the capable hands of our caring government. It's called bliss.
 
Old 11-08-2007, 08:41 PM
 
7,378 posts, read 6,740,393 times
Reputation: 1253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
No, not sympathy. Try a good, hardy, pat on the back. Those who voted for Bush the second time believe everything is alright, we're safer now and we've been winning the war for the last six years, the economy is going just great, and there's nothing to worry about, everything is in the capable hands of our caring government. It's called bliss.
You've gotten it quite the opposite. Those who voted for Bush twice believe the government is inefficient and ineffective and needs to be reduced in size. Those who voted for Gore and/or Kerry are the ones who want to add health care to the list of failures by the federal government.
 
Old 11-08-2007, 09:04 PM
 
Location: Blankity-blank!
11,449 posts, read 14,329,113 times
Reputation: 6904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
You've gotten it quite the opposite. Those who voted for Bush twice believe the government is inefficient and ineffective and needs to be reduced in size. Those who voted for Gore and/or Kerry are the ones who want to add health care to the list of failures by the federal government.
Gore and Kerry didn't get elected, so the Bush administration is the government. Everything is fine and wonderful!
 
Old 11-08-2007, 09:04 PM
 
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
17,825 posts, read 20,251,889 times
Reputation: 6487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
No, not sympathy. Try a good, hardy, pat on the back. Those who voted for Bush the second time believe everything is alright, we're safer now and we've been winning the war for the last six years, the economy is going just great, and there's nothing to worry about, everything is in the capable hands of our caring government. It's called bliss.
Or those who voted for Bush the second time merely wanted to make certain Kerry lost. I never voted for Bush, but I can understand why many did given their choices.
 
Old 11-08-2007, 09:23 PM
 
Location: Near Manito
19,521 posts, read 20,930,762 times
Reputation: 13858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Or those who voted for Bush the second time merely wanted to make certain Kerry lost. I never voted for Bush, but I can understand why many did given their choices.
Well said. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:40 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top