Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 06:35 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
It's extremely easy. Snowden exposed "that boy", using a phrase some right-wingers use on here, while liberals hate Snowden because he exposed "their man". That's all that it is. If Romney was president and Snowden exposed Romney, the tables would be completely turned, it would be liberals praising Snowden and conservatives condemning him. BY the way, Snowden exposed things that were already public knowledge, just forgotten about
peronally i think that had snowden stopped at exposing the NSA phone program, he would be a hero. but he went to china and russia and other countries to seek asylum while exposing other more sensitive information, and that makes him a traitor., and a spy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
I have a rock you can hide under from the evil liberals. $100/day it's all yours.
careful, obama may want to tax that money you receive as a windfall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 06:40 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Liberals don't believe in the Constitution 8r the rights it gave us
Where does the far-right come up with this stuff?

All those liberals like the ACLU? (Civil liberties come from the Constitution.) News flash: The far-right does not own the Constitution. You never have and you never will.

It belongs to ALL of us.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:41 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
I've been seeing the opposite. It's conservatives calling him a traitor (ie. McCain).
You are not alone.

The Fox folks are having a hard time with this one.

Real mixed bag. On one hand they support the Patriot Act and the NSA. On the other, it's another delish scandal on Obama's watch.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:01 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
peronally i think that had snowden stopped at exposing the NSA phone program, he would be a hero. but he went to china and russia and other countries to seek asylum while exposing other more sensitive information, and that makes him a traitor., and a spy.
Yes, he did two things, one good and one bad, but many are willing to ignore the bad one, although it is a very serious crime.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:09 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,298,861 times
People on the extremes like Snowden. The far left believes the world is controlled by a conspiracy of the rich and powerful. The far right believes the world is controlled by a conspiracy of the government. Each side sees what it wants to see in Snowden.

His star is waning quickly. As it becomes more about embarrassing the US rather than civil liberties, the less support he will receive from either side.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:12 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,245,092 times
Quote:
I've been seeing the opposite. It's conservatives calling him a traitor (ie. McCain).
John Boehner too.

John Boehner Defends NSA, Blasts 'Traitor' Edward Snowden - YouTube

Heck, the Russians don't even want the guy!
Quote:
After Snowden applied for political asylum to remain in Russia, Russian President Vladimir Putin told reporters in Moscow that Snowden would have to stop leaking U.S. secrets if he wanted asylum there – and he added that Snowden seemed unwilling to stop publishing leaks of classified material.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3529533.html

Old 07-02-2013, 07:15 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,462,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
I don't get it. It seems as if all my liberal friends think Snowden is a criminal who belongs in jail, while all my conservative friends think he's some hero.

What I don't get is that most liberals have praised other people for exposing sensitive information, while the conservatives condemn such action.

Maybe someone can clear this up for me.
Exposing the crimes committed by our own government against its people is a good thing. However, revealing National Security information to foreign governments is not a good thing. Which makes Snowden both a hero and a traitor.

If he had shut up after exposing the NSA violations of the USAPATRIOT Act, he would have remained a hero. However, he did not shut up. He continued to reveal National Security information to the Chinese, the Russians, and who knows who else. That makes him a traitor.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:23 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
I don't get it. It seems as if all my liberal friends think Snowden is a criminal who belongs in jail, while all my conservative friends think he's some hero.

What I don't get is that most liberals have praised other people for exposing sensitive information, while the conservatives condemn such action.
I don't know about your "friends" but the Snowden incident breaks all lines between who is a conservative and who is a liberal. The story and one of Snowden's biggest defenders was written by a extremely liberal writer published in an extremely liberal newspaper.

There are liberals like Diane Feinstein standing shoulder to shoulder with Lindsey Graham and Saxby Chambliss while on the opposite side you have John Conyers singing Kumbaya with Rand Paul, the Tea Party and the ACLU.

So trying to cast this story as some flip-flop for either conservatives or liberals is way off the mark.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:50 PM

39,080 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Snowden is an international pariah now. He went too far and is threatening global anti-terror efforts. A short time ago France and Portugal refused to let the plane of Bolivia's president fly over their territory because there were reports Snowden was on board. They were forced to land in Austria. The Bolivians are mad, but the world is uniting in shutting Snowden down.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:01 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,298,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The Fox folks are having a hard time with this one.

Real mixed bag. On one hand they support the Patriot Act and the NSA. On the other, it's another delish scandal on Obama's watch.
I don’t think this is a wining strategy. The Patriot Act is so tied to Bush and the GOP that disavowing it now, even if it embarrasses Obama in the short term, will open themselves up to charges of “flip-flopping.”

If the Republicans regain the White House they’ll be under tremendous pressure to maintain the programs. It would ultimately create more problems than it solves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies