Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2013, 06:46 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,825,816 times

Advertisements

There was an American injured in Toronto recently and he pleaded not to be taken to one of those hell hole Canadian hospitals. Where did this person get that misinformation? Our hospitals are the finest in the world. If you were to have a brain tumor...the average person would be entitled to the same surgeon that would treat a President or an indigent beggar. Our system is expensive - but it works. I took a tour of Saint Michael's Hospital in Toronto recently...It is a large urban hospital...clean- modern - staffed by the worlds best...and some of the finest equipment in the world is payed for through private donations...Rich people believe it is their duty to support our hospitals...In America the super rich think of hospitals as a business or investment...Health care is NOT a business....it is a human duty of one person doing their best to preserve and care for the next- You guys down in the states had better get with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 06:50 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,022,039 times
At least the Mexicans now hold the title as most obese country?

Old 07-10-2013, 06:53 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,120,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
A sensible approach that begs the question: countries with Universal types of health care have also, in some manner, controlled exorbitant drug costs for their citizens. Why then cannot the U.S. arrive at the same result, albeit decades late to the game?

In reading these forums and some of their opinions related to their impression they're subsidizing our health care provisions through unfairly paying of exorbitant fees for everything from insurance, drugs and even minor operations; one has to ask: what does that make them on the intelligence metric if they're the only ones holding out due to the "capitalistic" red herring? Oh wait, I believe another poster has already laid claim to the use of that "M" word descriptor.
I think its a very important element of our health system, and I sometimes suspect that Australian's don't realise how good they have it.

There are some drugs that don't fall under the PBS, these can still be purchased but at a much higher cost.
On the whole, this system works...

I do find the US system a little odd, all round. I don't understand why its reasonable for a workplace to subsidise health insurance, but not a government - {in which I pay medicare tax levy etc}... (serious, not being sarcastic... it doesn't make much sense to me)..

Old 07-10-2013, 07:06 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,886,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
A sensible approach that begs the question: countries with Universal types of health care have also, in some manner, controlled exorbitant drug costs for their citizens. Why then cannot the U.S. arrive at the same result, albeit decades late to the game?

In reading these forums and some of their opinions related to their impression they're subsidizing our health care provisions through unfairly paying of exorbitant fees for everything from insurance, drugs and even minor operations; one has to ask: what does that make them on the intelligence metric if they're the only ones holding out due to the "capitalistic" red herring? Oh wait, I believe another poster has already laid claim to the use of that "M" word descriptor.
It's easier for drug companies to charge more in places where they are negotiating with fragmented private parties than with a single party (the government) which also has the power of being the government on it's side. HOWEVER, without the ultra-high prices here to fund their operations, profits, and research, the government buyers in other countries couldn't keep prices down because it would kill the goose that lays the golden eggs (the pharma companies), so prices would rise there.

If we went to a state-negotiating system prices would go down here, but that's not the only way to do it. The free-riding could be stopped in a simple and standalone way: allowing drug reimportation (this was part of the ACA via the Dorgan amendment at one point, but was killed because the Obama administration and lead Democrats in congress wanted support from the pharma lobby). They would not however go down as low as they are everywhere else right now, and everywhere else (or at least the other rich countries) would have their costs rocket up as they wouldn't be free riding on us anymore.

I do completely agree with you that it's absolutely idiotic and bad policy that we don't aggressively move to change things in this respect, but you don't need universal care to do it, just allowing reimportation (throw on patent protection loss if companies sell for massively more here than in other rich countries if you want to accelerate the shift).

Old 07-10-2013, 07:08 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
There was an American injured in Toronto recently and he pleaded not to be taken to one of those hell hole Canadian hospitals. Where did this person get that misinformation? Our hospitals are the finest in the world. If you were to have a brain tumor...the average person would be entitled to the same surgeon that would treat a President or an indigent beggar. Our system is expensive - but it works. I took a tour of Saint Michael's Hospital in Toronto recently...It is a large urban hospital...clean- modern - staffed by the worlds best...and some of the finest equipment in the world is payed for through private donations...Rich people believe it is their duty to support our hospitals...In America the super rich think of hospitals as a business or investment...Health care is NOT a business....it is a human duty of one person doing their best to preserve and care for the next- You guys down in the states had better get with it.
This would be the episode you refer to and it was John Malkovitch who was right there at the time to help this man and also convince him to calm down. He is among many actors who've worked in Canada and are well aware of our health care quality being as good as or better.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:13 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,331,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Was that the guy John Malcovich helped? Yeah, he sure changed his tune after being treated in one of our "substandard county hospitals." He had nothing but good things to say after that.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:26 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
It's easier for drug companies to charge more in places where they are negotiating with fragmented private parties than with a single party (the government) which also has the power of being the government on it's side. HOWEVER, without the ultra-high prices here to fund their operations, profits, and research, the government buyers in other countries couldn't keep prices down because it would kill the goose that lays the golden eggs (the pharma companies), so prices would rise there.

If we went to a state-negotiating system prices would go down here, but that's not the only way to do it. The free-riding could be stopped in a simple and standalone way: allowing drug reimportation (this was part of the ACA via the Dorgan amendment at one point, but was killed because the Obama administration and lead Democrats in congress wanted support from the pharma lobby). They would not however go down as low as they are everywhere else right now, and everywhere else (or at least the other rich countries) would have their costs rocket up as they wouldn't be free riding on us anymore.

I do completely agree with you that it's absolutely idiotic and bad policy that we don't aggressively move to change things in this respect, but you don't need universal care to do it, just allowing reimportation (throw on patent protection loss if companies sell for massively more here than in other rich countries if you want to accelerate the shift).
I know they've sold you this bill of goods but you need to look at the cost of manufacturing that drug on going EVEN after it's patent has expired. Your argument does not hold water. No one is free riding on your backs.

They're charging you more because you'll pay it. it's called country pricing and all manufacturer's engage in it.

We pay 137% more for Bayer aspirin over the counter up here due to this country pricing system.

'Country pricing' a cause of Canada-U.S. price gaps - Canada - CBC News

BayStreet.ca - Global Markets

Why does everything cost so much more in Canada? | torontolife.com

We pay more for a car built right here in Canada and are told it's "import duties" with a straight face.

In this regard the shoe is on the other foot and perhaps we are subsidizing your ability to demand a discount for simply walking through the show room door across the full spectrum of manufactured goods.

Tit for tat, so to speak.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:34 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,422,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Look up how much they make in France.

GPs used to be upper middle class in America. I know this because it wasn't that long ago and I remember. Now they think they should be rich. So long as that is the case, healthcare will remain unaffordable and will bankrupt the country.
The kid architect engineer who designed your iPhone or Facebook makes more than your average GP and yet people line up 100 deep to pay for.a $600 phone manufactured by slave labor so they can download the latest Facebook app so they can twitter a pic of their $12 martini to their other poor friends.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:45 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,510,505 times
Any thread about healthcare seems to attract alot of Canadians for some reason

Old 07-10-2013, 07:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Doctors' salaries are the tip of the iceberg. Reduce those, and everything else will follow. Nurses salaries are also ridiculously inflated. But go into any practice today and watch the billing racket in action. It's not medicine they're practicing, it's insurance fraud.

Higher Ed (particularly for medical school) is also engaged in racketeering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Has nothing to do with salaries.

Look at administration, billing costs, the cost of medical goods, etc. That's where the problems are.

Doctor in a city where I have a house recently stopped accepting insurance, cut his rates 50%, you can bill your insurance yourself.
What LordSquidworth said. I can't believe people are kvetching about nursing salaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies