Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 09:07 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,553,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I am pro gay marriage
I am pro cannabis legalization
I am against war unless absolutely necessary
I am pro government handouts but there needs to be more accountability to cut out abuse of the system
I am against the Patriot Act
I am pro Second Amendment
I am pro separation of church and state
I am pro religion, whatever that religion may be, and people should be free to practice it and teach the doctrine they choose, even if some may consider it hate; And they should remain tax exempt. Churches, mosques, and temples of all kinds are symbols of the diversity in our communities
I am against Obamacare
I am against abortion on demand but think there should be exceptions
I support a path to citizenship but am against completely open borders
I don't think Obama has been an outstanding President (I'm sorry I don't) but don't think Bush was great either; I liked Clinton

With most liberals, it seems that you must tow the party line 100% of the time or you are just as evil as those Neanderthalic conservatives that hate gays, women, and minorities and want to turn America into Iran. The polarization in this country is getting so intense its scary.
You sound more like a demoralized liberal than any kind of conservative, good!

Old 07-12-2013, 09:07 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,075,763 times
I think this is a straw man argument.

Moderates with some conservative beliefs tend to be seen as moderates with some conservative beliefs.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:27 PM

32,070 posts, read 15,072,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Anyone who doesn't agree with the liberal left view is labeled as a right wing nut job.
And anyone who doesn't agree with the right is a *******. I'm not sure what your point is.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:39 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,936,908 times
Quote:
I am pro gay marriage
I am pro government handouts but there needs to be more accountability to cut out abuse of the system
I am pro religion, whatever that religion may be, and people should be free to practice it and teach the doctrine they choose, even if some may consider it hate; And they should remain tax exempt. Churches, mosques, and temples of all kinds are symbols of the diversity in our communities
I am against Obamacare
I don't think Obama has been an outstanding President (I'm sorry I don't) but don't think Bush was great either; I liked Clinton

With most liberals, it seems that you must tow the party line 100% of the time or you are just as evil as those Neanderthalic conservatives that hate gays, women, and minorities and want to turn America into Iran. The polarization in this country is getting so intense its scary.
a) Liberals did not start the polarization of America, it was the right wing mouthpiece Limbaugh 35 years ago, later joined by others including Faux News, doing the bidding of their corporate masters. They had their way with the media for three decades with zero opposition. Now in the last five years they are finally getting some blowback, and so the country is suddenly "divided" and "polarized" because opposing views are being flung around.
b) Everybody has some conservative and some liberal beliefs. The RW corporate media is beyond conservative.
c) You list liberal ideas you support, but you choose to criticize "liberals" for their intolerance? What's wrong with this picture?
d) So liberals demand conformity to their "agenda" but conservatives do not?

If you are scared of polarization, you should recognize it as a tool of an aggressive corporate media for the purpose of divide-and-conquer toward Americans. While average Americans are arguing over abortion, gay rights, guns, religion, other wedge issues, wealthy corporate interests are working on our government behind the curtain.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:41 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
I am pro gay marriage
I am against Obamacare

Racist! Welcome to the forum!

Old 07-12-2013, 09:43 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
This is true. I've been called a RWNJ on here many times, ironically I'm not right wing, I'm libertarian which gets the liberals even more upset which I don't understand why.
And I'm a libertarian who leans left on mostly just the social issues, but have been called a "*******," leftist, loony liberal, tree hugger, etc... so it goes both ways, and clearly the need to label others isn't just a liberal thing.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:52 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
I am pro gay marriage
I am against Obamacare

Yep, I fall in with most of what you have listed here as well. Get called a "repug, rwnj," regular like. I used to reply, in kind. Not any more. Just ain't worth feeding tbe beast.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:02 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,529,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
a) Liberals did not start the polarization of America, it was the right wing mouthpiece Limbaugh 35 years ago, later joined by others including Faux News, doing the bidding of their corporate masters. They had their way with the media for three decades with zero opposition. Now in the last five years they are finally getting some blowback, and so the country is suddenly "divided" and "polarized" because opposing views are being flung around.
b) Everybody has some conservative and some liberal beliefs. The RW corporate media is beyond conservative.
c) You list liberal ideas you support, but you choose to criticize "liberals" for their intolerance? What's wrong with this picture?

If you are scared of polarization, you should recognize it as a tool of an aggressive corporate media for the purpose of divide-and-conquer toward Americans. While average Americans are arguing over abortion, gay rights, guns, religion, other wedge issues, wealthy corporate interests are working on our government behind the curtain.
Spot on!

Old 07-12-2013, 10:13 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post

I agree with the wedge issue distraction thing. Not really on board with the "it's all the corporate conservative media" bit tbougb. Before cable news and talk radio got big, network news had tbe lock, and they were downright nuts. Walter Kronkite was one of Soviet Russias biggest fans. I can remember watching so.e newscasts, back in the day, before I really had a political outlook, that dropped my jaw with the anti America context.

I follow your train of thought here, but tbere are a couple sticking points that could be tossed in.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:19 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,514,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
And I'm a libertarian who leans left on mostly just the social issues, but have been called a "*******," leftist, loony liberal, tree hugger, etc... so it goes both ways, and clearly the need to label others isn't just a liberal thing.
If you lean left on social issues you aint Libertarian.

Libertarians want the government out of social issues while the left want to regulate the. Marriage and abortion are good examples of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies