Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 05:52 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,937,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
lols.

Oh wait, you are serious?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLS
So you are out of ammunition eh...
You don't even know who owns the media?? How informed can you possibly be?

Old 07-13-2013, 07:33 PM

62,974 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Well Glory, tell me all about politics, then let's discuss media which the RW has owned for years and where all Americans get their news and information.
What I responded to was a "victim card" from the Right. More and more of that happening now that there is a bit of opposing media. And your media has been "labelling" and "demonizing" since the advent of Limbaugh 35 years ago.
Also the right needs to be demonized for its regressive mentalities. Minority rights, women's rights, workers' rights, and now gay rights - all fought legislatively by old white guys who are afraid of losing their power. What gives you the right to deny these rights with legislation? You want government out of your life, but you're happy to get it into the lives of others? If you don't approve of something, just keep it to yourself - how about that! Is it possible?

The history of conservatism is defined by what it hates, what it wants to destroy, and what it thinks should not happen or be allowed - the American Revolution for instance. Conservatives didn't like it until after somebody else did it. They hated the Beatles and rock music - the list of "dislikes" is almost endless. Good thing you don't always get your way, eh?
Just look at your obstructionist Congress. RW Tories are always with us and the regressive mentality today is no different. The RW conservative mentality creates nothing, and it is dragged kicking and screaming into the future by more creative and progressive minds, no matter the era.
So dirt is coming from both sides in the media? Did you complain in the past when it was coming only from the Right - when you had the media to yourself? Nope, it was nice and cozy and predictable. Now that cons are getting a little blowback, they resort to "spreading the blame around" when caught in a lie or hypocrisy - no mystery there at all.
Regressive rights? WTH does that mean? No, it is the left that has gone so far down the road of so-called progressiveness that it is literally changing the face and moral values of this country for the worse. With that I have no further need to read your hateful BS directed at conservatives. Look in the mirror, "Ms. Anything Goes"! This country is becoming unrecognizable with people who think like you do!

Old 07-13-2013, 07:50 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,399,043 times
Quote:
a) Liberals did not start the polarization of America, it was the right wing mouthpiece Limbaugh 35 years ago, later joined by others including Faux News, doing the bidding of their corporate masters. They had their way with the media for three decades with zero opposition. Now in the last five years they are finally getting some blowback, and so the country is suddenly "divided" and "polarized" because opposing views are being flung around.
b) Everybody has some conservative and some liberal beliefs. The RW corporate media is beyond conservative.
c) You list liberal ideas you support, but you choose to criticize "liberals" for their intolerance? What's wrong with this picture?
d) So liberals demand conformity to their "agenda" but conservatives do not?

If you are scared of polarization, you should recognize it as a tool of an aggressive corporate media for the purpose of divide-and-conquer toward Americans. While average Americans are arguing over abortion, gay rights, guns, religion, other wedge issues, wealthy corporate interests are working on our government behind the curtain.

What a pile of crap!

Old 07-14-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
What a pile of crap!
OK Rush, opinion noted.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:34 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,331,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What hogwash stereotyping of conservatives! I do not like any of the people you mentioned and what makes you think that most conservatives do? Dirt has been flying from both sides since politics began so stop with your victim card for the left. This is nothing new. What aggravates me is that the right is completely demonized by the left for not being pro-abortion, pro-traditional marriages for gays, pro-amnesty, etc. more than ever. Conservatives had never approved of those things but in today's world the left treats it like it is something new and horrible and has earned their total hatred and disgust. The left needs to grow up and accept that the right has just as much of a right to an opinion on social and political issues that the left has and start debating like adults without the labeling an name calling.
Well, SOMEBODY'S watching them. SOMEBODY'S listening to them. Otherwise, they'd be long gone. The very popularity of these shows proves that conservatives do.
It's not the liberals.
Or the Canadians.
Or the Albanians or the Greeks.
It's the conservatives.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:04 PM

38,645 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
It's important to look at this issue in the context of liberal reasoning.

For the liberal, anyone who believes that a particular element of liberal ideology is logically flawed, discredited by history or morally deficient and presents facts and compelling arguments to support their hard thought conclusion should shut the **** up!
Quote:
Again, why is this any different from right-wing ideologues? I don't think you know what the "liberal ideology" is other than what Fox tells you it is.
For credibility, you really should accuse the opposition of things you don't do yourself. And btw, you have presented no "facts" here, but just another Fox hissy-fit talking point. Innuendo is not fact.
Why does the Right keep posting these Fox-derived assumptions over and over as some sort of "argument"?

I believe that life begins at conception because at that moment, and only at that moment, unique DNA that is neither the mother's nor the father's is created and will continue to replicate itself in every cell of the new person until natural death.

If the DNA in question is not that of a different person than the fetus and every person has their own unique DNA, how can a fetus with its own unique DNA not be a person?

Furthermore, the man and woman who create this person do so by willingly copulating knowing in advance that their actions may very well create an innocent person who is physically dependent on the body of the mother for about five months.

Since this assumed risk involves a party who has no control over the actions of others that put him or her in this position of physical dependency, the rights of this innocent child to not be killed must be respected.

See how that works?

I have a belief and that belief is supported by facts.

I don't need to silence those who disagree with me as the facts are on my side.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:10 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,286,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
It's rather simple. The left has been trying to get the government to recognize same-sex marriage. That means the left is for more government involvement in marriage, not less.
This makes no sense. That's not "more government involvement" in any way. Marriage as a legal institution won't change, more people will just be allowed to enter into that arrangement. I suppose you could say that when it was decreed that married women could enter into contracts and open bank accounts and own property in their own name, that would constitute more government involvement. That was government changing the nature of the legal structure of marriage. Recognizing same-sex marriage isn't. No heterosexual marriage will change because same-sex marriage is legalized.

Yeah, I get you're an anarchist. But we don't live in a free-market anarchy, we live in the societies in which we live. But it would seem to me that getting government to recognize same-sex marriages would be a step towards rather than away from the society you want. Make it legal, and there will be a good number of people out there who want to do something that's no one's business but theirs, and the government will no longer be stopping them. Isn't this what it's all about? Is this not progress?

Quote:
The left is not for legalizing drugs or they would at least try and legalize them.
It's not that, it's that Democrats aren't particularly left-leaning. More so than Republicans, and I think a lot less sleazy (politicians, I mean), but they're pretty center-right themselves. Patience, legalization or at least de-criminalization is coming. The growing availability of medical marijuana is progress as well.

Or is progress a dirty word?

Old 07-14-2013, 07:21 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,286,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I believe that life begins at conception because at that moment, and only at that moment, unique DNA that is neither the mother's nor the father's is created and will continue to replicate itself in every cell of the new person until natural death.

If the DNA in question is not that of a different person than the fetus and every person has their own unique DNA, how can a fetus with its own unique DNA not be a person?
Because at the moment of conception it's one cell. It has no brain. It has no lungs. It has no nervous system. It has no lymphatic system. It has no circulatory system. It's alive, and it's unique, but it is not a person. It's not a built human being. At what point, exactly, does it become one? Tough call. Some argue heartbeat, some argue brain activity, I argue not my business. I think women who would voluntarily abort a viable fetus are few and far between, doctors who would perform such an abortion even more rare. But still, it is not my concern.

If it makes you feel better, I've seen dozens of women arrive to have abortions performed, and not one of them was so far along she actually looked pregnant. Women are not killing babies; the fetuses aren't human beings yet. They are not people. They are zygotes. They are embryos. They are blastocysts.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:46 PM

62,974 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Well, SOMEBODY'S watching them. SOMEBODY'S listening to them. Otherwise, they'd be long gone. The very popularity of these shows proves that conservatives do.
It's not the liberals.
Or the Canadians.
Or the Albanians or the Greeks.
It's the conservatives.
And liberals listen to their heroes also. It is still stereotyping to say that most conservatives listen to people like Beck.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
And liberals listen to their heroes also. It is still stereotyping to say that most conservatives listen to people like Beck.
Then why do conservatives never criticize people like Beck? Because they love what the guy says.
And liberals listen to people who do criticize people like Beck. Rocket science??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies