Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 08:12 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,483,423 times

Advertisements

I've been called both a left-wing nut and a right-wing nut, sometimes by the same people.

Based on the characteristics you mention in the OP, I agree that your closest designation would be moderate conservative with libertarian tendencies.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:11 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,936,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
liberals only see black and white. Your either the comrade or the enemy. That has been clear since Obama was elected with his compiling his enemies list. Now they whine because Republicans would save them with their policy failures in domestic side. After a 800 billion policy mess that ended in just more debt even many democrats are not giving this administration more money to spend on special interest like government workers and teachers salaries calling it shovel ready massive jobs program to keep unemployment under 7%. That is why they are only feeling the effect of recession last year and now. Something was shoveled alright but not jobs for ordinary people.
The bolded above is absolute RW projection.
The rest is just rambling. Did you know "the administration" includes a Congress?? Amazing.
Why are right-wingers not aware that we have a repub-controlled obstructionist Congress sabotaging legislation that Americans want? You don't know this?? Really, you should find a better news source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morskoy View Post
Who told you that freedom should refer ONLY to your body/life/etc? You are against the freedom to take someone's freedom, which means you are against the freedom in general (c).
All issues you've mentioned affect in direct or indirect way the society as a whole. People are not isolated islands, we live in the society.
This is the total opposite of RW Ayn Rand thought which states that no person has an obligation to another in any way, shape, or form. I'm sure you listen to RW media don't you, so how could you say such a thing??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Uh huh.
One of the mental problems most frequently exhibited by leftists is projection disorder.
Look it up.
Don't need to look it up. Projection was noted by "liberals" in the RW media years ago. Perhaps you just heard the word on Fox. Gawd, Limbaugh and the rest of RW media have been projecting for decades, and astute people have recognized it long ago.
Maybe parrot-like, you know the word but not its meaning, eh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Yeah, libertarians want the government out of marriage. In case you haven't noticed the left has been lobbying government for the past decade to get more involved in marriage. The exact opposite of what libertarians want. And the left does not support the legalization of drugs.
You are about as libertarian as Joseph Stalin.
Again, where do you get this crap?? Really.... If you are a libertarian, why do you listen to RW media lies, and accept them at face value? Off-the-wall statements like this indicate that you are listening to propaganda and are part of the RW Fox News bubble.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 07-13-2013 at 12:30 PM..

Old 07-13-2013, 11:14 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,212,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I've been called both a left-wing nut and a right-wing nut, sometimes by the same people.

Based on the characteristics you mention in the OP, I agree that your closest designation would be moderate conservative with libertarian tendencies.
Me too.

I've been called a right winger because I've criticized Obama, ironically I'm more left then the Obama supporters calling me right wing.

OP sounds like a fiscal liberal and a social conservative. Run of the mill Catholic

Old 07-13-2013, 11:24 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Banning dancing and alcohol, like they have done in the bible belt is not mainstream

Hey Don, you do realize "Dirty Dancing" and "Footloose" are not documentaries, right?

Old 07-13-2013, 11:26 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,212,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Hey Don, you do realize "Dirty Dancing" and "Footloose" are not documentaries, right?
Dirty Dancing took place in New York, not the bible belt.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:38 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Yeah, libertarians want the government out of marriage. In case you haven't noticed the left has been lobbying government for the past decade to get more involved in marriage. The exact opposite of what libertarians want. And the left does not support the legalization of drugs.

You are about as libertarian as Joseph Stalin.
What part of "I want the government OUT of that stuff too" and "I want drugs legalized" did you fail to comprehend? I said exactly what you're claiming are libertarian beliefs, but I'm not libertarian? Wow, you make zero sense.

Now seriously, stop telling me what I am... or I'll start telling you what I think you are, and trust me, that won't be a nice list. And btw, the left does want drugs legalized - it's usually the righties who oppose it, although even they're getting on board with legalization now.

Last edited by gizmo980; 07-13-2013 at 11:47 AM..

Old 07-13-2013, 12:23 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
To be fair gizmo980, you live in the fruit and nut Mecca that is the Bay Area. What passes for middle of the road in your world is very different from what is considered mainstream in the Midwest or South.
Quote:
Banning dancing and alcohol, like they have done in the bible belt is not mainstream
Quote:
Quote:
Dirty Dancing took place in New York, not the bible belt.

Yeah, but it was set in 1963 when even New York State was really conservative.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:40 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I am pro gay marriage
I am pro cannabis legalization
I am against war unless absolutely necessary
I am pro government handouts but there needs to be more accountability to cut out abuse of the system
I am against the Patriot Act
I am pro Second Amendment
I am pro separation of church and state
I am pro religion, whatever that religion may be, and people should be free to practice it and teach the doctrine they choose, even if some may consider it hate; And they should remain tax exempt. Churches, mosques, and temples of all kinds are symbols of the diversity in our communities
I am against Obamacare
I am against abortion on demand but think there should be exceptions
I support a path to citizenship but am against completely open borders
I don't think Obama has been an outstanding President (I'm sorry I don't) but don't think Bush was great either; I liked Clinton

With most liberals, it seems that you must tow the party line 100% of the time or you are just as evil as those Neanderthalic conservatives that hate gays, women, and minorities and want to turn America into Iran. The polarization in this country is getting so intense its scary.
I share many of your views, but not all of them and I agree, people do not understand some of us are have moderate views or even lean liberal on a few issues and yet, because we have a handful of truly conservative views we are right winger or even right wing nut cases.

If fact there are only a handful of things you and I differ. I am on the fence, as you know, when it comes to gay marriage, and I am not in favor of legalization of pot or any more drugs than we already have, but that being said, I would go into orbit if it was to become legal and do not believe smokers should be sent to prison. Of course it is rare they are.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boycewv View Post
Same reason moderates with some liberal ideas are called *******s or leftist, it's a need to label people.
I happen to disagree with you on this one: liberals are much more inclined to label anyone who has a single conservative view conservative than the other way around. Most moderates, if they are Democrats are not labels leftist. The are considered moderates, which is what they are and the way it should be.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I don't think you picked the right party to stereotype. It is wingnuts who are in lockstep. Liberals, in fact, are rarely in lockstep, yet wingnuts are always in lockstep.

As far as I'm concerned, you sound entirely rational. I don't know any liberals who think anyone should agree 100 percent on any topic.
really, then why are so many of us called rwnjs because we are conservative on some issues and middle of the road on others. Some people (usually the libs) think if a person is right to life, or anti gay marriage for instance, they have to be evangelical cut cases. If we are in favor of Obamacare we want all the poor people to go without medical insurance and again we must be to the right of right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies