Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2013, 02:03 PM

798 posts, read 1,035,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerner View Post
I caught the sarcasm. When its surrounding a statement projecting bigotry against my country, I don't throw it back in the water.
Hmm. I am an American as well. I enjoy living in this country and would not live anywhere else. But I am willing to admit that there are several problems with this country, and race relations are a huge one. Probably came off a little strong with the original comment, but it was direct more at those who have posted those kinds of things before than the general American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 02:11 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,561,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Those "slaves" were indentured servants.
Some were. Most weren't. According to this article.
Most Slaves In America Were White | Political Vel Craft

Old 07-16-2013, 02:29 PM

519 posts, read 1,024,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
I repeat I did not like your methodology merely looking at the profits of the seller without accounting for the entire surplus of value which may be claimed by either buyer or seller depending on market conditions.

Producer and Consumer Surplus Illustrated

If I sell you something that you would buy for $10 for $9, and I would sell it for $3 in a purely competitive market as my lowest price, then $6 of surplus went to the seller. That is a price setter typical of a monopolist. Since commodities are notoriously price takers, I imagine some share of the surplus went to the buyer. So how can we account for the entire economic output with just the seller?

Again cotton gave the US international financial liquidity. Did it not?

Before I respond, I want to make sure that I have your argument correct- are you proposing that the US was indeed built off of slavery, thanks to the cotton trade?

Old 07-16-2013, 02:39 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,204,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Where is that articles citations.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:15 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
As a Black American....I am NOT going anywhere. And most Black Americans aren't either.
Stand Your Ground.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:47 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,561,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
Where is that articles citations.
From my undestanding, books by Michael J Hoffman is one. There are several authors that have came out with this information. Interesting as far as I'm concerned. I'm researching it myself. Then when you look up where the terms redlegs, rednecks, and such come from, the article may be spot on but that's another topic so I won't derail the thread with it.

Quote:
Stand Your Ground.
heh. Just saying. Black folks do not need to run to another country and think everything will be swell there. They would be in for a rude awakening. The vast majority of Black Americans are not thinking about ever going to Africa except to visit. That's the fact and it has nothing to do with negative images of Africa. We need to fix our problems at home and running away is not a solution for most. So while Akon means well in his offer, I will decline it.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:31 PM

639 posts, read 821,614 times
Quote:
Don't be deceived by that article it was probably written to try to downplay how horribly black slaves in the the U.S. where treated. Whipped, burned, body parts cut off, hung, wives of black men slaves raped (that's why I am a light skinned black man)etc. White slaves vs Black Slaves NO COMPARISON and ANYONE who says otherwise it delusional. Slavery in America is equivelant to the holocaust in Europe. I'm just keeping it real ya'll and ya'll should too.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:33 PM

639 posts, read 821,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Stand Your Ground.

Oh I see you got jokes huh? Its all good though.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:41 PM

370 posts, read 247,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeSon504 View Post
Don't be deceived by that article it was probably written to try to downplay how horribly black slaves in the the U.S. where treated. Whipped, burned, body parts cut off, hung, wives of black men slaves raped (that's why I am a light skinned black man)etc. White slaves vs Black Slaves NO COMPARISON and ANYONE who says otherwise it delusional. Slavery in America is equivelant to the holocaust in Europe. I'm just keeping it real ya'll and ya'll should too.
Rarely were slaves mistreated. They were too expensive/valuable to damage.
What farmer whips his cows? What farmer burned their mules? What good is a pig with body parts cut off?

I know it sounds good and it's fun to pretend that white people are evil devils and act like you just stepped off the Amistad but your hyper emotional claims don't hold up.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:44 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,989,403 times
How about the useless bloated gas bag celebrities move some place else. Akon, Another idiot with more money than brains.

Oh, yes they would surely welcome egocentric, selfish, greedy types moving to the continent of Africa. There is enough corruption there already. Idiot sheep already treat celebrity trash like royalty.

There are haters of every color, the more talk the more it divides. Good people need to work together, and for the most part today people do not care about color, its the quality of the individual that matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies