Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2013, 06:57 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,060,276 times

Advertisements

That's an absolutely fantastic idea!

I'll chip in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 06:58 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,309,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Akon speaks out on George Zimmerman case

LOL The comments from "celebs" just get dumber and dumber. I guess this dope doesnt know much about Africa today. But please, take your own advice and move. And leave behind all the money youve made from white people/Americans. We'll see how long you last.

I guess he forgot about where the slavery of blacks started as well.
All I have to say to Akon is Bon Voyage. I'll bet he will wish he had never left here.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:23 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,561,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
Would these memoirs happen to be written by people sent from England to Australia and her American colonies for being convicted of crimes in England and/or Britain?

1. Penal transportation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. http://www.earlyamericancrime.com/co...logue/epilogue
Nah. I know which ones you are talking about. These are different memoirs. It's not my blog lol. But yes, it is more of a blog than an actual article and its honestly a summary more than anything from the book.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:27 AM

519 posts, read 1,024,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
During the early 20th Century the factories of New York, Philadelphia, and Milwaukee were not much better than Southern slavery. In fact they were arguably worse conditions to work in than domestic slavery, or slavery in skilled trades, and maybe even agricultural slavery in the cotton fields. Only the rice plantations in the South I'm certain were worse than the Northern factories.

European labor were lured to the American North through the advertisements of jobs and good earnings. Some respects that was true were jobs and money was harder to come by in some of their native lands like Southern Italy and Sicily. But one will note many of these European immigrants stuck in poor, rat infested communities, in factory towns in cities like Pittsburgh, were psychologically depressed. And at some point both men and women working in the factories picked up guns to battle both police and Pinkerton security men hired by the factory owners to crack down on protesting workers. I mean... labor from factories in the U.S. literally got into gun battles with Pinkerton forces.

The 8 hour workday (where overtime past 8 hours requires time-and-a-half pay) was purchased in the United States with the blood shed of working men in the Midwest.

Cheap Mexican labor helps drive the U.S. agricultural business today as well. I'm sure you heard it complained by people on the political right and those owning agricultural fields, "Americans won't work on farmers as laborers because they want too much money." They say it in a negative way implying American working class greed.

And The United States and Brazil both pretty much feed the world. These two countries today are the largest agricultural exporters. If the U.S. Federal Government were not subsidizing the U.S. agricultural industry (corporate welfare) Brazil would have already marginalized U.S. agricultural exports. That's even with the United States today being the most advanced nation in agricultural science.

So are you still pushing the argument that slavery built the US? That was the statement I took issue with, but your response doesn't seem to argue that point anymore.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:33 AM

639 posts, read 821,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunther Rall View Post
Here's your quote, boy...You talk trash, then run away and try to change the subject.

State your premise and choose a position...we'll see.
I told you I got your boy MEATHEAD. You want me to answer that statement you made about slaves rarely being mistreated. Come on man, that statement SO IGNORANT it doesn't deserve a response. Do I need to post pictures of lynchings, slaves backs after they been whipped etc. for you to get the picture. And by the way nobody said that the white man was the devil "YOU SAID THAT". It's about wrong and right, we all have wronged someone in our lives but the REAL PEOPLE admit when they have "WRONGED" someone and they don't try to justify it or evade the TRUTH. I never tried to change the subject I was trying to get you to see how IGNORANT that statement was you made!! Don't you ever disrespect the struggles of black people or NO PEOPLE who have been oppressed at some point. Don't play with me, beacuse I will hand you your ASS. Now keep it moving, I have no more words for you!

Old 07-17-2013, 07:41 AM

370 posts, read 247,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeSon504 View Post
I told you I got your boy MEATHEAD. You want me to answer that statement you made about slaves rarely being mistreated. Come on man, that statement SO IGNORANT it doesn't deserve a response. Do I need to post pictures of lynchings, slaves backs after they been whipped etc. for you to get the picture. And by the way nobody said that the white man was the devil "YOU SAID THAT". It's about wrong and right, we all have wronged someone in our lives but the REAL PEOPLE admit when they have "WRONGED" someone and they don't try to justify it or evade the TRUTH. I never tried to change the subject I was trying to get you to see how IGNORANT that statement was you made!! Don't you ever disrespect the struggles of black people or NO PEOPLE who have been oppressed at some point. Don't play with me, beacuse I will hand you your ASS. Now keep it moving, I have no more words for you!
So..in other words you are abandoning your indefensible position and concede you're overmatched. Got it.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:54 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Also, the Declaration of Causes of Secession in Georgia mention much more than just slavery and racism. Excerpts below:

Even Mississippi's declaration, which was more slavery-focused, had this gem:

It seems to me that secession and the war were primarily motivated by economic issues, tariffs, and special favors for the North vs. for the South. Slavery was (unfortunately) embedded in the economy of the South and Southerners considered the issues to be closely linked. Slavery was, after all, the basis of the plantations that Southern elites depended on for their livelihood. They certainly had no right to enslave others, but the point is that to a large extent slavery was an economic issue.
You can pick different declarations, you can also find this speech by the vice president of the Confederacy emphasize slavery as the reason for the new nation.

The Constitution, it is true, secured every essential guarantee to the institution while it should last, and hence no argument can be justly used against the constitutional guarantees thus secured, because of the common sentiment of the day. Those ideas, however, were fundamentally wrong. They rested upon the assumption of the equality of races. This was an error... Our new Government is founded upon exactly the opposite ideas; its foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and moral condition. [Applause.] This, our new Government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth.

Internet History Sourcebooks

Later the same speaker clarified:

(Slavery was without doubt the occasion of secession; out of it rose the breach of compact, for instance, on the part of several Northern States in refusing to comply with Constitutional obligations as to rendition of fugitives from service, a course betraying total disregard for all constitutional barriers and guarantees.)

http://www.adena.com/adena/usa/cw/cw223.htm

Northern states refusing to comply? So much for state's right. In fact the South objections included state's rights actions the northern states took. Vermont, for example, passed a law requiring state officials to help runaway slaves and ignore the federal fugitive slave law. If the south was so in favor of state's rights, they would have supported such an action.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:54 AM

1,999 posts, read 2,473,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lerner View Post
So are you still pushing the argument that slavery built the US? That was the statement I took issue with, but your response doesn't seem to argue that point anymore.
Yeah, I am. You are speaking about the Great American middle-class. But neither slavery or the U.S. Constitution created that.

But you are right that without the Industrial Revolution and the end of slavery in the U.S. the large middle-class in the U.S. would not have been born. But that did not occur from the U.S. Constitution and the middle-class would not have been as extensive as was in the U.S. without WWII having destroyed the industrial cities of Europe and Japan while leaving the industrial cities of the U.S. unscathed.

So, it wasn't just the industrial cities of America alone (they existed in England, Germany too), especially given they did little to create a middle-class during the 1800s and early 1900s. They created urban slums full of white people living in abject poverty.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:58 AM

370 posts, read 247,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
You can pick different declarations, you can also find this speech by the vice president of the Confederacy emphasize slavery as the reason for the new nation.

The Constitution, it is true, secured every essential guarantee to the institution while it should last, and hence no argument can be justly used against the constitutional guarantees thus secured, because of the common sentiment of the day. Those ideas, however, were fundamentally wrong. They rested upon the assumption of the equality of races. This was an error... Our new Government is founded upon exactly the opposite ideas; its foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and moral condition. [Applause.] This, our new Government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth.

Internet History Sourcebooks
So?
Lincoln said the same thing.

"I can conceive of no greater calamity than the assimilation of the Negro into our social and political life as our equal... We can never attain the ideal union our fathers dreamed, with millions of an alien, inferior race among us, whose assimilation is neither possible nor desirable."
- Abraham Lincoln

First inaugural address:

Apprehension seems to exist among the people of the Southern States that by the accession of a Republican Administration their property and their peace and personal security are to be endangered. There has never been any reasonable cause for such apprehension. Indeed, the most ample evidence to the contrary has all the while existed and been open to their inspection. It is found in nearly all the published speeches of him who now addresses you. I do but quote from one of those speeches when I declare that—

I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so.

Those who nominated and elected me did so with full knowledge that I had made this and many similar declarations and had never recanted them; and more than this, they placed in the platform for my acceptance, and as a law to themselves and to me, the clear and emphatic resolution which I now read:

Resolved, That the maintenance inviolate of the rights of the States, and especially the right of each State to order and control its own domestic institutions according to its own judgment exclusively, is essential to that balance of power on which the perfection and endurance of our political fabric depend; and we denounce the lawless invasion by armed force of the soil of any State or Territory, no matter what pretext, as among the gravest of crimes.

"My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union."
-- Abraham Lincoln
-From, Letter to Horace Greeley
August 22, 1862

"Negro equality! Fudge!! How long, in the government of a God great enough to make and maintain this Universe, shall there continue knave to vend, and fools to gulp, so low a piece of demagoguism as this?"
-- Abraham Lincoln
-From, Fragments: Notes for Speeches
Sept. 1859 (Vol. III)

"But what shall we do with the Negroes after they are free? I believe that it would be better to export them all to some fertile country with a good climate, which they could have to themselves."
-- Abraham Lincoln
-From, Letter to General Benjamin F. Butler
March 1865 (Vol. VII)

"I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races, (applause from audience) that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of Negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people. I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race."
-- Abraham Lincoln
-From, 4th Debate with Stephan A. Douglas in Illinois
Sept. 1858 (Vol. III)

"Judge Douglas has said to you that he has not been able to get an answer out of me to the question whether I am in favor of Negro citizenship. So far as I know, the Judge never asked me the question before. (applause from audience) He shall have no occasion to ever ask it again, for I tell him very frankly that I am not in favor of Negro citizenship. (renewed applause) If the state of Illinois has the power to grant Negroes citizenship, I shall be opposed to it. (cries of "here, here" and "good, good" from audience) That is all I have to say."
-- Abraham Lincoln
-From, Speech at Sringfield, Illinois
June 1857 (Vol. II)

"In the course of his reply, the Senator remarked that he had always considered this a government made for the white people and not for the Negroes. Why, in point of mere fact, I think so, too."
-- Abraham Lincoln
-From, Speech at Peoria, Illinois
Oct. 1854 (Vol. II)

"I think your race suffers very greatly, many of them by living among us, while ours suffers from your presence. In a word we suffer on each side. If this is admitted, it affords a reason why we should at least be separated."
-- Abraham Lincoln
-From, Address on Colonization to a Deputation of
Africans in Washington D.C.
August 1862 (Vol. V)

Old 07-17-2013, 08:09 AM

1,999 posts, read 2,473,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
If containment of slavery was the objective, confining the South to its own country and then banning it everywhere else would be just the ticket. They could have been left in peace, leaving slavery to die on its own and/or letting abolitionists continue to exert pressure on the South. Unfortunately Lincoln had other plans.

Also, the Declaration of Causes of Secession in Georgia mention much more than just slavery and racism. Excerpts below:

Even Mississippi's declaration, which was more slavery-focused, had this gem:

It seems to me that secession and the war were primarily motivated by economic issues, tariffs, and special favors for the North vs. for the South. Slavery was (unfortunately) embedded in the economy of the South and Southerners considered the issues to be closely linked. Slavery was, after all, the basis of the plantations that Southern elites depended on for their livelihood. They certainly had no right to enslave others, but the point is that to a large extent slavery was an economic issue.
Yeah... of course slavery was an economic issue. I think I've pretty much acknowledged that. It was a social issue too as well. Southern culture and society were built upon the racial caste system that slavery was a part of.

The Civil War began with the Confederates attacking Fort Sumter. Lincoln and the North did not initiate the war.

A state today could not use a militia to attack a U.S. military base and expect no armed and response by the U.S. Government. Even the L.A. Riots eventually resulted in the U.S. Marines being deployed into the city to help restore order.

The South started the war. If they wanted peace they could have handled all of their grievances diplomatically, using the 3 branches of Government, like those for and against abortion do today. Unfortunately, the South had other plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies