Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 01:59 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,618,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
As if a spelling error invalidates the argument presented in the video.
Lol...yea. See such things a lot. I make spelling errors a lot on here. This little device, I use ,thinks it's smarter than me, most of the time, and puts in words on me as well. Don't always catch it. Ahhhhh....but, grammatical errors are sure a picking point for a lot of posters.

An error, such as was harped on here, is just unforgivable. Yet, these are the same people that want to do away with things like phonics, and would give a pass to the class in writing assignments that are rife with errors, because the intent to spell, and punctuate, properly, is all that counts.

(sigh) ....grammar Nazis. What WILL they think of next?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 02:02 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,646,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post

This man really does some up leftist very well.
I have a suggestion: if you think there is a point to be made, how about making it or summarizing it instead of just putting up a video?

Old 07-18-2013, 02:20 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,514,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
As if a spelling error invalidates the argument presented in the video.
Very true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
He hits on some excellent points. Young Liberals are often so utterly convinced their side is correct that they will completely block out any opposing opinions and happily live in their own little echo chambers -- the exact behavior they detest from Evangelicals or die-hard Fox News fans. When their opinions are reinforced by movies, TV shows, left-leaning sites like Reddit and their teachers and professors, they've surrounded themselves with walls that encourage close-minded thought.
I agree. I am very left, people would say, but I despise many leftists as I do also those on the "right". I find them to have the same ignorant tendencies and to be extremely arrogant and in your face about it all, typically because they need those tactics to argue their points-of-view. Whenever I see conservatives on here saying something about how Democrats "feel" instead of think, I know that this is a vague caricature and nonsense, but indeed it does have some truth to it and I feel the same way about many Democrats that I meet. Of course, the same can be said for Republicans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
This definitely applies to the rabid supporters on both sides of the isle (not just the left-wing):

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts.”
--Bertrand Russell
I apparently cannot give you anymore reputation points due to the fact that I have to "spread the wealth", according to the website's rules. I may just go about doing so in order to give you more reputation points solely for the usage of a Bertrand Russell quote.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:21 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
You haven't been on City-Data much if you think this is unique to any age group or political affiliation. The internet makes it easier for EVERYONE to isolate themselves among like-minded people. Look at the "Free Jokar" crowd or birthers who come from two very different demographics.
I don't deny that the Internet makes it really easy to isolate yourself into places that exhibit hive-mind mentality. My problem is that outside of the Internet, Conservatives are influenced by Fox News, AM radio and sometimes their church. Meanwhile, Liberals are bombarded with reinforcement of their ideas by their teachers and professors, nearly every other news source and pretty much every entertainment outlet.

Our media shapes our culture and it's molded almost exclusively by people on the left. Journalists, actors, writers, musicians, etc. are all overwhelmingly Liberal, which turns our entire culture into an echo chamber for those who are unwilling to acknowledge the bias of our entertainers and journalists.

Those on the left love to say "reality has a well-known Liberal bias". It's more accurate to claim that "our culture has a well-known Liberal bias." And people in entertainment who spend their careers playing make-believe and never being challenged by any of their peers, should be the last ones lecturing us about what's reality and what's fantasy.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:21 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,739,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I have a suggestion: if you think there is a point to be made, how about making it or summarizing it instead of just putting up a video?
Is post a video a form of summarizing?

Old 07-18-2013, 02:31 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
I agree. I am very left, people would say, but I despise many leftists as I do also those on the "right". I find them to have the same ignorant tendencies and to be extremely arrogant and in your face about it all, typically because they need those tactics to argue their points-of-view. Whenever I see conservatives on here saying something about how Democrats "feel" instead of think, I know that this is a vague caricature and nonsense, but indeed it does have some truth to it and I feel the same way about many Democrats that I meet. Of course, the same can be said for Republicans.
Most of those who come to the Internet to debate don't want to discuss things, they want to be right. There's no better way to "win" than to be as abrasive and obnoxious as you can, apparently. Thank you for your comments. My best friend is Liberal and we can sit down and have rational and polite discussions -- something that's rare with strangers online.

And I while I'm on the right, I don't deny for a second that there are equally close-minded and obnoxious people on my side. My point was that no matter if your echo chamber is big or small, it's still an echo chamber. If you're unwilling to understand the other side and have an open exchange of ideas, we'll be at each other's throats forever.

Not all Liberals are lazy Marxists and not all Conservatives are Bible-thumping bigots. If that's how you see the other side, you're as obstinate and close-minded as those you're complaining about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies