Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 10:25 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Let's all join hands and pretend the elephant isn't in the room, shall we?

Boycott of Florida grows - Entertainment - JamaicaObserver.com

Celebrities Boycotting Florida Over

Here's the thing about boycotts, in case you're unaware. Boycotts function in a very distinctive fashion, by calling attention to a wrong. Boycotts have financial results, but more importantly, they put an issue in the hot seat, it becomes constant discussion, and it makes sure that issue remains in the forefront of discussion. THAT is the intention. Businessmen and business journals go NUTS when a boycott goes out of control. I'm sure the NRA and gun owners are also having to take antacids over this. This has put Florida in the mouths of everyone, for having a law on its books which is savage and monstrous, and that is just fine with me. Personally, I lose nothing through a boycott or trashing of Florida, so I couldn't be more delighted. Governor Scott (the criminal who headed HCA, the health company which stole the most from Medicare and Medicaid and is now the nefarious governor of Florida) is now on the hot seat, as are all the Repukes who put that law on the books. I'm quite joyful about that! The more Florida gets trashed for that law, the better. I'm happy!

If Florida is so miserable for you, then why do you still reside there? If I hated some place that much, I'd do everything in my power to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 10:28 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,732,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
If Florida is so miserable for you, then why do you still reside there? If I hated some place that much, I'd do everything in my power to leave.
I'm stuck here for now, and not because I choose to be here. I'm being responsible to others who need me to be here. However, that Florida is a right wing hellhole, I don't have to lie about that even though I'm here.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:49 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,078 times
Can you even explain in your own words what is so monstrous about SYG?

Can you cite an example of it from the courts?

Can you cite how many states have a similar law?

Can you cite what that law means?

On your own now...no waiting for the Left's talking points!

Old 07-25-2013, 11:08 AM

923 posts, read 1,429,800 times

Ted Nugent on Stevie Wonder Florida Boycott - YouTube

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
I hope they have their calendars out with their managers. If they really stand on principle, they'll need to boycott:

Laws in at least 22 states allow that there is no duty to retreat an attacker in any place in which one is lawfully present. (Alabama, Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah and West Virginia.)

Self Defense and

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Let's all join hands and pretend the elephant isn't in the room, shall we?

Boycott of Florida grows - Entertainment - JamaicaObserver.com

Celebrities Boycotting Florida Over

Here's the thing about boycotts, in case you're unaware. Boycotts function in a very distinctive fashion, by calling attention to a wrong. Boycotts have financial results, but more importantly, they put an issue in the hot seat, it becomes constant discussion, and it makes sure that issue remains in the forefront of discussion. THAT is the intention. Businessmen and business journals go NUTS when a boycott goes out of control. I'm sure the NRA and gun owners are also having to take antacids over this. This has put Florida in the mouths of everyone, for having a law on its books which is savage and monstrous, and that is just fine with me. Personally, I lose nothing through a boycott or trashing of Florida, so I couldn't be more delighted. Governor Scott (the criminal who headed HCA, the health company which stole the most from Medicare and Medicaid and is now the nefarious governor of Florida) is now on the hot seat, as are all the Repukes who put that law on the books. I'm quite joyful about that! The more Florida gets trashed for that law, the better. I'm happy!
The first article has already been dismissed, clearly the jamaica observer is behind the times, the second artile is from the 23rd and, again, has been dismissed in later reporting. Things unraveled yesterday and late Wendsday after the article.
I don't know how to be more clear to you then publishing the correction from the source of the original article itself. If you want to pretend it still exists as some fantasy camp of your, go ahead. Now, perhaps a few will still cancel, but the original article published by the OP is discredited BY THE SOURCE OF THE LIST HERSELF and clearly any financial impact of any remaining "boycott", if there is still any at all, is minimalized:

Florida Boycott List That Included Kanye, Jay Z, Alicia Keys Discredited

Representatives for a number of artists on a purported list of musicians and performers boycotting the state of Florida in the wake of the George Zimmerman verdict said Tuesday that their clients have never heard of or been contacted about the list.
American Urban Radio Networks White House correspondent April Ryan first reported the list -- which includes heavyweights like Justin Timberlake, Jay Z, Kanye West, Alicia Keys, Madonna and more -- on Monday and credited it to "sources close to the Stevie Wonder camp." The Huffington Post linked to Ryan's list and noted at the time that representatives for artists were being contacted. Late Monday night, HuffPost sources revealed that Rihanna was not involved, despite being named. MotherJones received word that the Rolling Stones -- who also appear on the list -- had never heard of such a campaign.
Additional representatives on Tuesday confirmed to HuffPost that other boldface names on the the list were not involved, but declined to identify their clients on the record. Denials reached a critical mass that began to shed serious doubt on the veracity of the list. On Tuesday, Ryan posted an update on her website in which she said that representatives of artists named "are uncomfortable being identified on that list."
A similar list had been posted on Instagram and Facebook in advance of Ryan's posting.
HuffPost reached Ryan by phone on Tuesday afternoon, and she said the list came from "very credible sources" who had provided her with accurate information in the past. Ryan said she had not seen the Instagram or other social media posts in advance of publishing the list or her update.
Ryan said she received the the list from sources who were "in support of Stevie" and that it was sent to her via text message "in the middle of the night." She saw the message later on Monday morning.
Here's Ryan's full statement:
I obtained from multiple sources early Monday a list of artists and entertainers who my sources told me had committed to a boycott of Florida following the George Zimmerman acquittal. Since publishing that list I have heard from several representatives of the artists named who say, on behalf of their clients, they are uncomfortable being identified on that list and are seeking additional information.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:14 AM

15,089 posts, read 8,631,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
In response and due to the ‘stand your ground’ law on the books in florida! Along with the great stevie wonder, the following acts have canceled (all) of their up-n-coming concert dates, in and around florida, indefinitely!!! Or until the law in florida is abolished.

Mary - mary
rod stewart
eddie levert
maze/frankie beverly
patti labelle
parliament/funkadelic
the rolling stones
madonna
alishia keys
usher,
will.i.am
r. Kelly
trey songz
rihana
erykah badu,
mary j. Blige
"jay-z"
"kanye west"
wale'
young jeezy,
charlie wilson,
joe
ciara
kelly rowland
keyshia cole
justin timberlake

now, if you add all those ticket sales up you are talking billions!

Justin timberlake 20/20 vision tour was due to kick off in miami - he canceled and he quoted:

"i refuse to entertain a state who's government allows people to shoot-n-kill un-armed teenagers!"
Ah yes, the illuminatti's musical entertainment army of lost souls owned by Satan.

Good. Let them get jobs washing and parking cars ... the whole lot of them are a disgrace.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:45 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,942,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Maybe their fanbase will follow them out of Florida.
why should the people leave..lot easer to rid the law.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:50 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,942,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitem3 View Post
Oh sweet Jesus, please let this peanut butter packing wacko leave texas and move to Florida.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:52 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
In response and due to the ‘stand your ground’ law on the books in florida! Along with the great stevie wonder, the following acts have canceled (all) of their up-n-coming concert dates, in and around florida, indefinitely!!! Or until the law in florida is abolished.

Mary - mary
rod stewart
eddie levert
maze/frankie beverly
patti labelle
parliament/funkadelic
the rolling stones
madonna
alishia keys
usher,
will.i.am
r. Kelly
trey songz
rihana
erykah badu,
mary j. Blige
"jay-z"
"kanye west"
wale'
young jeezy,
charlie wilson,
joe
ciara
kelly rowland
keyshia cole
justin timberlake

now, if you add all those ticket sales up you are talking billions!

Justin timberlake 20/20 vision tour was due to kick off in miami - he canceled and he quoted:

"i refuse to entertain a state who's government allows people to shoot-n-kill un-armed teenagers!"
Notice they didn't boycott this until there was national media attention on it and they could get free publicity by doing so. Also note they don't boycott the other 20+ states that also have stand your ground laws. They might actually lose money if they did that. So they we have a list of entertainment acts for sane people to avoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies