Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 08:14 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Would you agree that the single motherhood in black populations is a big problem?
I am not sure what you mean by in black populations, how can someone be in a specific population?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 08:17 AM

121 posts, read 142,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
As a percentage more white women are on welfare then black, now if you are trying to say per capita, that is a different story, but if you are out and about observing people, since actual numbers and percentage of welfare recipients are white, then your chances of seeing a white person that is on welfare, is greater then black.
I have a question for you. Have you and your wife ever considered moving to a more diverse area? I think a black man such as yourself who is rearing his children could have a tremendous impact, just by being in a black community, where a father figure may not necessarily be the norm.

During segregation, all blacks were forced to live in the same communities, regardless of income/class. This alone allowed impoverished black children to look at the black professionals with stable beautiful homes, and aspire to be like them.

Much changed after segregation laws were ruled unconstitutional and black professionals relocated to white areas.

Harlem, NY actually had a small area named "strivers row," because that's where all of the black professionals in Manhattan lived, since they weren't welcomed in other areas. The interesting part is, many of the black poor children in the surrounding Harlem community, were striving to one day live in one of the brownstones in the area.

When I visited Harlem as an adult, one of my black friend's from college invited me to her grandparents' home on Strivers Row. The neighborhood is no longer the same. A lot of the well to do blacks moved and now it's mostly white.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:23 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherish643 View Post
I have a question for you. Have you and your wife ever considered moving to a more diverse area? I think a black man such as yourself who is rearing his children could have a tremendous impact, just by being in a black community, where a father figure may not necessarily be the norm.

During segregation, all blacks were forced to live in the same communities, regardless of income/class. This alone allowed impoverished black children to look at the black professionals with stable beautiful homes, and aspire to be like them.

Much changed after segregation laws were ruled unconstitutional and black professionals relocated to white areas.

Harlem, NY actually had a small area named "strivers row," because that's where all of the black professionals in Manhattan lived, because they weren't welcomed in other areas. The interesting part is, many of the black poor children in the surrounding Harlem community, were striving to one day live in one of the brownstones in the area.

When I visited Harlem as an adult, one of my black friend/s from college invited me to her grandparents home on Strivers Row. The neighborhood is no longer the same. A lot of the well to do blacks moved and now it's mostly white.
We have lived all over the place, we have lived in Chicago, we have lived in Florida etc... No I would not move out of where I live, I would not do that to my employees. You see, this is my problem with your whole thought process on this, people need to quit looking at everything as black problems, white problems chinese problems etc... As an American, I look at our problems as American problems, as long as we continue to try and keep people separated by racial make up, we will never be able to fix the problem.

If you tell a black child he needs to look up to this black man or that black man, then he will believe he is confined to things based on race, on the other hand if you tell the child, he should look up to any man, regardless of race, he will not believe his racial identity is a confinement.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:25 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
I am not sure what you mean by in black populations, how can someone be in a specific population?
And you run a corporation?!

Old 07-28-2013, 08:27 AM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,187 times
Quote:
No, I don't think they have a lot of time to raise their children. If they are single moms, and they don't have any support from the father of their children and live in poverty, I think they are receiving some type of government assistance. But to my knowledge, most welfare programs require that the woman work as well, after a period of time.
I'm black, run errands during the day with my kids and no man, but I'm married and we're certainly not on public assistance. My husband hates going to the mall with me, but we all go places that count, like amusement oarks or bar be ques together.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
We have lived all over the place, we have lived in Chicago, we have lived in Florida etc... No I would not move out of where I live, I would not do that to my employees. You see, this is my problem with your whole thought process on this, people need to quit looking at everything as black problems, white problems chinese problems etc... As an American, I look at our problems as American problems, as long as we continue to try and keep people separated by racial make up, we will never be able to fix the problem.
True, we have to have more unity as American people, but as a black employer, do you not understand that there are some communities that are impacted more than others? For example, the black unemployment rate is 14% nation-wide and actually anywhere between 40-60% in areas like the South Side of Chicago, and throughout the inner city areas of NYC, and Atlanta.

Although unemployment is high amongst all groups, do you not see why it would be a disservice not to highlight the astronomically high unemployment rate amongst blacks, when speaking about the high unemployment overall for all Americans? This ties into why I believe blacks need to pay special attention to what is going on with respect to single parent homes. It's true that single parent homes are on the rise for all groups, but it's especially problematic in black neighborhoods, due to all of the other issues such as high unemployment and violence.

Quote:
If you tell a black child he needs to look up to this black man or that black man, then he will believe he is confined to things based on race, on the other hand if you tell the child, he should look up to any man, regardless of race, he will not believe his racial identity is a confinement.
People learn by example. Can you really blame a young black boy who grows up without any real role models for identifying with black athletes, rappers or the drug dealers who appear to be successful on his block?

Where are the good role models in his immediate community? For this reason, I think black men such as yourself need to start gentrifying the inner cities of America. Pretty soon, the black boys would have the male role models in their very own neighborhood.

Also, the more resources a community has, the easier it is to get local politicians to address your concerns. If a huge number of middle/upper income black men moved into an inner city, they would be less inclined to tolerate drug dealing and violence in their community. These men would call the police and start an active neighborhood watch program.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:34 AM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,187 times
Quote:
I hate to say this, but on the occasion that I see a black guy with his family/children I notice it right away, because it's so rare these days.
Then you're in the wrong places. I live in a mixed neighborhood and I have yet to see a black family here that isn't headed by a black man. Also, I see whole black families and men with kids at amusement parks, the beach, parks, etc

Old 07-28-2013, 08:37 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
U.S. Birth Rate Falls to a Record Low; Decline Is Greatest Among Immigrants | Pew Social & Demographic Trends

Old 07-28-2013, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
I'm black, run errands during the day with my kids and no man, but I'm married and we're certainly not on public assistance. My husband hates going to the mall with me, but we all go places that count, like amusement oarks or bar be ques together.
I didn't mention this in my original post, but I always look at the woman's hand. I rarely if ever, saw any wedding rings on the black women that were out and about with their children.

Do you see a number of other black women alone with their children on weekends, or have you not noticed this at all in your community?

Last edited by Cherish643; 07-28-2013 at 08:55 AM..

Old 07-28-2013, 08:41 AM

As I have already stated, the problem is, the inner city single moms are having the bulk of children for black folks, not the educated black wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies