Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 05:42 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,665,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Wow

I am a physician who really does not care whether you smoke pot or not. However, THERE IS NOT ONE RANDOMIZED, BLINDED, PROSPECTIVE study showing a "medical benefit" of pot. There are MANY poor studies and anecdotal reports of the "benefits" of pot. These, of course, have no relevance.

What we do not want, as physicians, is pot head jamming our clinics in search of scripts for pot. We have real medical issues and patients with actual problems to take care of and do not want potheads pestering us.

If you want to smoke weed- do so. However, do not even begin to suggest that there is ANY "medical" benefit to pot, as there is none. Gee.................... I wonder why we don't smoke our anti-hypertensives and anti-anginal medicines? Why don't pot heads like merinol for pain? Why don't they like Tylenol, which functions via cannabanoid receptors?
This doctor who recommends pot would disagree with you:

Dr. Phillip A. Denney, M.D. Part 1 of 3 - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 05:50 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,665,672 times
Quote:
Hilarious-

Yes, we "idiots" prefer randomized, blinded prospective studies to show efficacy for our patients.

There is NO PHYSICIAN with even marginal training, who would embrace ANY treatment without this minimal level of evidence. This is THE STANDARD upon which we determine efficacy of any treatment.

How many people receiving "medical marijuana" in the US are dying cancer patients? Probably less than .01%. The rest are just stoners.

Hey- smoke all the weed you want. However, do not attempt to insult anyone's intelligence by suggesting that pot is a "medicine".
Once again, this doctor would disagree with you:

Dr. Phillip A. Denney, M.D. Part 1 of 3 - YouTube

Old 08-02-2013, 06:10 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,139,705 times
Quote:
Wow

I am a physician who really does not care whether you smoke pot or not. However, THERE IS NOT ONE RANDOMIZED, BLINDED, PROSPECTIVE study showing a "medical benefit" of pot. There are MANY poor studies and anecdotal reports of the "benefits" of pot. These, of course, have no relevance.

What we do not want, as physicians, is pot head jamming our clinics in search of scripts for pot. We have real medical issues and patients with actual problems to take care of and do not want potheads pestering us.

If you want to smoke weed- do so. However, do not even begin to suggest that there is ANY "medical" benefit to pot, as there is none. Gee.................... I wonder why we don't smoke our anti-hypertensives and anti-anginal medicines? Why don't pot heads like merinol for pain? Why don't they like Tylenol, which functions via cannabanoid receptors?
Please. It was being used for medicinal purposes LONG before you were ever a physician. It's been used for thousands of years.

If you want to keep pushing your prescription meds fine. But don't try to discredit the benefits of marijuana.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:12 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,139,705 times
Quote:
"Big Pharma pills with tons of side effects"?

It is difficult to know where to start when addressing such idiocy.

1. Pot smoking has similar health risks to cigarette smoking
2. Pot is a very poor "analgesic". There are cannabanoid receptors in the brain which mediate pain, however, tylenol is a better analgesic.
3. Pot is inferior to other conventional anti-emetics
4. If pot was a "superior" drug, the pharmaceutical industry would be producing it on a massive scale. They are motivated by profit.
5. Nearly ALL drugs are "natural", in that they are organic compounds derived initially from "nature". However, unlike "natural" medicines, they are pure and regulated. Why do you think that the drug industry does not-
a. use St. John's wort for depression?
b. curry and ginger for analgesics?
c. garlic as an anti-coagulant?

I would suggest that YOU, when faced with a life threatening infection, cancer, or a cardiovascular event, simply avoid the hospital and smoke pot to treat your medical problems. There may be something to social darwinism after all.

Prescription meds account for approximately 108,000 deaths a year. All illegal drugs combined account for around 18,000. Marijuana. Zero.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:24 PM

32,095 posts, read 15,096,294 times
Quote:
Hilarious-

Yes, we "idiots" prefer randomized, blinded prospective studies to show efficacy for our patients.

There is NO PHYSICIAN with even marginal training, who would embrace ANY treatment without this minimal level of evidence. This is THE STANDARD upon which we determine efficacy of any treatment.

It is an exercise in futility in attempting to explain this to "lay people" of marginal intelligence who embrace unproven anecdotes as the gospel truth. You do not even subscribe to NEJM and have not even read the article. How in the hell do you even purport to know what the survey (not a study) even said? THis was for A DYING CANCER PATIENT. If a dying cancer patient told me they wanted to drop acid, I would say that is fine. How many people receiving "medical marijuana" in the US are dying cancer patients? Probably less than .01%. The rest are just stoners.

Hey- smoke all the weed you want. However, do not attempt to insult anyone's intelligence by suggesting that pot is a "medicine".

This plant has been around forever and yes used for medicinal purposes. Just look at the history of it. Doctors and pharmaceutical companies make a fortune by pushing pills when something so natural might just have the same effect on all illnesses. Certain plants have always been used to treat illnesses before modern medicine. This is no different. I'd rather go back to the plants though I'm sick of doctors pushing their pills on me.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:05 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,741,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Prescription meds account for approximately 108,000 deaths a year. All illegal drugs combined account for around 18,000. Marijuana. Zero.

I take like two aspirin a year, normally I smoke a joint and the headache is gone.. one spliff a day keeps big pharma away

hawk take those facts and smoke them in your pipe

Old 08-02-2013, 09:15 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,087,761 times
Maybe this will cut into the profits of the street corner dope slingers. Might even keep a kid from getting shot over a dope deal in South side Chicago.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:19 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,544,230 times
Quote:

I feel as though I am "talking" to a bunch of first graders about medical issues, and what constitutes a valid study. If you are that lost, no amount of information will change your "expert" opinion! I find it amazing that lay people, through a cursory internet search, purport to have superior information to those who actually have degrees! We call those patients "sh*t house physicians".
Oh the irony, the alleged claims of education from someone who disagrees with basic climate science and 97 percent of climate scientists.

But hey, it's the internetz, we can all be doctors.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:22 PM

37,151 posts, read 42,256,168 times
Pot also makes you feel nice and we all know that's a real problem for some people. Nobody should get to feel good!

Old 08-02-2013, 10:22 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,544,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Ladies and gentleman, this game is over, please drive safely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies