Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 05:41 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,538,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
How in the heck did MT, UT, NH and VT even come close to the top given their woeful lack of diversity?
'Cause "diversity" only seems to be a really big issue in California. It's kind of the trendy issue du jour. Makes y'all feel progressive, enlightened and good about yourselves. Most of us in the rest of the country don't seem to mind some but it doesn't rule our likes and dislikes for where we are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 05:46 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,472,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Hmm! Reading between the lines you're part of the "beautiful people" with a dual-income household and more than just the median income living in a "resort type" area and living the good life. What's not to be happy about.

I can relate. I started life in La Jolla and then spent most of my childhood being raised on an island in Newport Beach. But amazingly enough, now I'm right where I want to be in the tri-lakes region of the Ozarks replete with four actual seasons each year.

Here's my point. True happiness with where you are is rarely dependent upon income and social status. It's what satisfies the soul and that is very individual. Here I am in the hills an' hollers and happy as a clam. You couldn't drag me back to California. By the same token, you probably couldn't be dragged out of it.

Nah i wouldn't say i am here forever. Because as you say true happiness comes from within. I can be happy anyplace, i have lived in the small small home, and loved that too. Just as long as i have family around. And in areas so unlike San Clemente. Won't lie seeing beautiful homes, mountain views and the ocean, does make one happy. But also feel that people have a lot to do with the city you live in.

There does come times where you just want a change. Not because i am not truly happy, but i feel different experiences in life, are good for the soul. And so is change.

Where you live has no bearing to me to whether true happiness. if one is sad and can't seem to be happy, nothing is going to bring this about. Know some people like this, all they do, is see negative in everything. And i am getting to the point i clean my own house, cook our own meals, do landscaping which i love. Bake entertain and a lot of people at one time. Garden which is a passion. Our home grown tomatoes are the largest and juicest you could ever have. Our apples, lemons, and oranges, equally good. Grow parsley and mint, and white squash. Nothing like fresh mint. and i love antiquing and classic mustangs. I don't need to entertain as i use too, i am getting tired of it. Let someone else have the big home, to entertain.
Does not matter the size of the home, i have had them all sizes and in between. It is whether the home you live in is a home and not a house.

I do love the mountain regions, and open crisp cool air. Just because you live in a certain area, does not guarantee happiness. For gosh sakes look at Hollywood Celebrities, with all their glory, and all their money, and all their millions and then some over. Still does not make them happy.

I don't think because you live in a certain area, means there is no trouble in your life, no health issues in ones life, no problem with kids, no problem with the economy, lost of a job, which still does occur. Which does effect all aspects of a perons life, no matter their income. More money you make, unlike what most think, boy are they wrong, the money that goes out.

I even love the high desert regions, where you wake up and see that wonderful sunset, peeking thru from the clouds. Seeing nature in all its glory and all that it has to offer. I like it. But prefer the Mountain Living over Desert. I love seeing animals in their own territority, without homes or business being around.

No matter where a person lives, they need to be happy, while here on earth, tomorrow could be your last day, why be negative when being positive is so much better. I could follow my own advice on this forum!

Last edited by california-jewel; 08-09-2013 at 05:59 PM..

Old 08-09-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Nah i wouldn't say i am here forever. Because as you say true happiness comes from within. I can be happy anyplace, i have lived in the small small home, and loved that too. Just as long as i have family around.

There does come times where you just want a change. Not because i am not truly happy, but i feel different experiences in life, are good for the soul. And so is change.

Where you live has no bearing to me to whether true happiness. if one is sad and can't seem to be happy, nothing is going to bring this about. Know some people like this, all they do, is see negative in everything. And i am getting to the point i clean my own house, cook our own meals, do landscaping which i love. Garden which is a passion. Our home grown tomatoes are the largest and juicest you could ever have. Our apples, lemons, and oranges, equally good. Grow parsley and mint, nothing like fresh mint. and i love antiquing and classic mustangs. I don't need to entertain as i use too, i am getting tired of it. Let someone else have the big home, to entertain.
Does not matter the size of the home, i have had them all sizes and in between. It is whether the home you live in is a home and not a house.

I do love the mountain regions, and open crisp cool air. Just because you live in a certain area, does not guarantee happiness. For gosh sakes look at Hollywood Celebrities, with all their glory, and all their money, and all their millions and then some over. Still does not make them happy.

I don't think because you live in a certain area, means there is no trouble in your life, no health issues in ones life, no problem with kids, no problem with the economy, which does effect all aspects of a perons life, no matter their income. More money you make, unlike what most think, boy are they wrong, the money that goes out.

I even love the high desert regions, where you wake up and see that wonderful sunset, peeking thru from the clouds. Seeing nature in all its glory and all that it has to offer. I like it. But prefer the Mountain Living over Desert. I love seeing animals in their own territority, without homes or business being around.

No matter where a person lives, they need to be happy, while here on earth, tomorrow could be your last day, why be negative when being positive is so much better. I could follow my own advice on this forum!
I'm with you on the gardening. We grow most of our own vegetables (envy you the tomatoes as none of them here came in this year for anyone). We'll have to part company on the desert though. High or low I don't care for it. We live rurally so wildlife is all over and a true joy. After living most of our lives, but not all, in California, people wondered how we could live in there here hills & hollers but it's simple As you said, you need to be happy and this place helps us in that regard - beautiful scenery, serenity and peace.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:01 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,395,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Don't Cry for Me, California: The Happiest Places in America

Which way to happy? Geographically speaking, it's the route to Hawaii, Maine or one of the clusters of blissful cities in California and Colorado. You know... those horribly blue places where those miserable liberals are supposed to live, and where everything is supposed to be all screwed up.
Hawaii is the happiest state.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:09 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,472,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I'm with you on the gardening. We grow most of our own vegetables (envy you the tomatoes as none of them here came in this year for anyone). We'll have to part company on the desert though. High or low I don't care for it. We live rurally so wildlife is all over and a true joy. After living most of our lives, but not all, in California, people wondered how we could live in there here hills & hollers but it's simple As you said, you need to be happy and this place helps us in that regard - beautiful scenery, serenity and peace.
And you can't ask for more then that can you? If you saw the size of or tomatoes, you would not beleive how big they are, the oranges so juciy and so big.

Fresh mint, is also great in cooking homemade meals, but you have to know how much mint, and what receipes are better equipped for the mint.

I love gardening, and planting so much. Always looking for new plants to discover, which i investigate online, then go to garden centers and ask salesman or women about these items.

I like the desert to visit, its vast openness, and in it's own right a sweet sereneity. With just nature and the beauty of the desert. But would not want to live there. I think the desert, and the ocean, and the mountians, are a place where anyone who is sad could suddenly be happy.

I also could adjust to any living standard, just as long as my best friend my husband is by my side. And our children are close by. I do beleive with my italian upbringing that family unity is very important.

If you have wonderful things in life, but no one to share them with, this is such a shame.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:18 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,807,583 times
Originally Posted by boner
happiness comes from within

My # 1 Priority in life is my own personal happiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
That's nice, but the problem is it isn't the governments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
The government isnt happy?

Really? I can't hand sign you in text

Your happiness isn't the governments # 1 Priority

Old 08-09-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Bunch of happy white people in them first eight countries.

Being happy is overrated.
It's certainly overrated if one must use skin color as a prerequisite for it. So sad.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
It's certainly overrated if one must use skin color as a prerequisite for it. So sad.
Some people just can't help themselves. It's sort of like some of us can't help being white. Funny! Never bothered me a bit.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:24 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,718,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
If I could afford to live in Santa Barbara, I'd be even happier than I am now...and I'm pretty damn happy that I live in southern Arizona. Doesn't get much better than this.

No doubt though...California seaside towns are some goddamn happy ass places.
That is the thing. To me, California, especially northern California, is an awesome place IF you have the money. I would live the Bay area or Napa if I had $100 million in the bank. It just sucks big time if you don't. I would not live in New York City, Boston, or Washington DC regardless of the money I had.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
And you can't ask for more then that can you? If you saw the size of or tomatoes, you would not beleive how big they are, the oranges so juciy and so big.

Fresh mint, is also great in cooking homemade meals, but you have to know how much mint, and what receipes are better equipped for the mint.

I love gardening, and planting so much. Always looking for new plants to discover, which i investigate online, then go to garden centers and ask salesman or women about these items.

I like the desert to visit, its vast openness, and in it's own right a sweet sereneity. With just nature and the beauty of the desert. But would not want to live there. I think the desert, and the ocean, and the mountians, are a place where anyone who is sad could suddenly be happy.

I also could adjust to any living standard, just as long as my best friend my husband is by my side. And our children are close by. I do beleive with my italian upbringing that family unity is very important.

If you have wonderful things in life, but no one to share them with, this is such a shame.
Shhhh... they've been arresting people that start home gardens.

I wonder if that would be considered targeting conservatives. We seem to be the home gardeners, GMO labelers, owners of small ranches and dairies, and recyclers of everything we use. Yet, we hate mother earth and want dirty water? Ironic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies