Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2013, 10:17 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,506,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Why would it be bad to buy from the baker to show that they were wrong about you? As I said many times, I don't have a problem with what the couple did outside of trying to get the government to punish them for beliefs they disagree with but why would it be bad to try and show them that their bigotry is misplaced?

Even the NAACP was willing to meet with the Klan leader.
Do you think the owners were lying when they say they do serve gay people, have gay people in their lives ? Unless they are lying, their beef is with participating in a gay marriage because their religious belief is god ordains marriage as a religious institution between woman and man. Per the bakers, their refusal has nothing to do with whether the women are nice, mean or in between.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:20 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Do you think the owners were lying when they say they do serve gay people, have gay people in their lives ? Unless they are lying, their beef is with participating in a gay marriage because their religious belief is god ordains marriage as a religious institution between woman and man. Per the bakers, their refusal has nothing to do with whether the women are nice, mean or in between.
The baker was asked to participate in the marriage of the two women?

Old 09-04-2013, 10:27 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
A business operates at the pleasure of the state, and as such, is bound to obey the laws of the state.
Oh, my, I don't think I've ever seen such an incredibly and utterly WRONG statement in my entire life.

Let me enlighten you:

The STATE operates at the pleasure of BUSINESS. Without BUSINESS, the state ceases to exist.

Business can easily operate successfully without the confinements of the state.

Your thinking is the saddest thing, ever.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:39 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,284,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
The takeaway from this atrocity is that not only is it acceptable, but it is in fact desirable, for the homosexual and the non religious to bully Christian businesses because of their faith and eliminate their ability to put food on the table.
Expecting business to adhere to the law is not bullying. Also, religious bigotry is not necessary to the craft of baking, so expecting a baker to not practice religious discrimination doesn't impede his ability to feed his family in any way, shape, or form.

Quote:
Are the homosexuals happy with their victory now? Celebrate, rejoice and enjoy. You gleefully crushed and silenced an opposing viewpoint and now you can live happily ever after.
No, I'm sure the right-wing religious bigots are still free to cry about how they have to obey the law. No one has been silenced. Your entire post is wrong in every respect.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:42 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,284,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Oh, my, I don't think I've ever seen such an incredibly and utterly WRONG statement in my entire life.

Let me enlighten you:

The STATE operates at the pleasure of BUSINESS
We're talking about some small bakery, not Halliburton, KBR, or Exxon-Mobil.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:42 AM

545 posts, read 400,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post

Let me enlighten you:

The STATE operates at the pleasure of BUSINESS. Without BUSINESS, the state ceases to exist.

Business can easily operate successfully without the confinements of the state.

Your thinking is the saddest thing, ever.
That is how most of them are taking this. That the world's people somehow exist for them and if they don't toe the line, they need to be destroyed.

"Second, note what the guy says in the clip about how they've made cakes for this couple before. They don’t refuse to serve gay customers, they refuse to serve gay weddings specifically"

It was like that hotel. People generally don't have a problem serving gay people until it runs into conflict with their religion. That doesn't make you a hateful "bigot" that needs to be destroyed. Must be more of that liberal tolerance.

I mean they served the gay couple before but had to draw a line. But somehow the gay couple, despite being served before felt as if they have been victimized or something. It went from "we just want to be left alone" to "you will respect and honor us"

Old 09-04-2013, 10:47 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,634,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGold View Post
That is how most of them are taking this. That the world people somehow exist for them and if they don't toe the line, they need to be destroyed.

"Second, note what the guy says in the clip about how they've made cakes for this couple before. They don’t refuse to serve gay customers, they refuse to serve gay weddings specifically"

It was like that hotel. People generally don't have a problem serving gay people until it runs into conflict with their religion. That doesn't make you a hateful "bigot" that needs to be destroyed. Must be more of that liberal tolerance.

I mean they served the gay couple before but had to draw a line. But somehow the gay couple, despite being served before felt has if they have been victimized or something. It went from "we just want to be left alone" to "you will respect and honor us"
Excellent post and very well stated.

I'd rep you again if I could.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:10 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Then my answer is I would not want to reward a business who blatantly discriminates because it encourages future discrimination.
While I certainly would not want to force you to deal with those you dislike I am wondering if it would do the opposite here.

Making her move to her house hasn't. Again, maybe if over time she saw that this couple was really no different than they were he mind would change.

Seems to me that changing a persons mind is better than "punishment" in cases like this.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:14 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I do not know what they have said concerning that. Maybe nothing would change their perceptions, I do not know......I'm just wondering.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:17 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I do not know what they have said concerning that. Maybe nothing would change their perceptions, I do not know......I'm just wondering.
The couple had bought other things from the bakery, and one of their mothers wedding cake was from the bakery.

They had been to the bakery repeatedly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies