Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2013, 09:05 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,211,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Exactly. They simply changed their business model.
To a much smaller practice run out of their kitchen because they couldn't afford the overheard of their store. No one says they are gonna expand their business by shrinking it because business has been going so well.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:05 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,250,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Personally, no. But in exposing this bakery as being a bigot bakery, all gay and lesbian people and their allies know not to shop there.
Again, I have no problem with that. They got poor service (actually no service) and I have no problem with them telling others about that.

Quote:
The free market requires perfect information for consumers. Consumers do not ever really have that perfect information. Lawsuits and claims make the news. They go to trial where jurors find out facts. Frankly, any person who supports the free market should support lawsuits being available as a means to disseminate information to the consumer.
That's a generalization that isn't even true. What might be perfect for one might be unacceptable for others.

Quote:
That's kinda what the lesbians did.
They did and as I said, I understand them being bitter but the solution here doesn't make it better.

Quote:
It is not irrelevant if you're going to hide behind "religious freedom" and get out the boards and nails to build a cross and play martyr for the religion being attacked by the evil gay agenda.
It would have made no difference if they simply said they disliked the homosexual lifestyle and gave no reason. There are those who dislike Muslims over the actions of some which has nothing to do with religion but rather a stereotype.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It doesn't and the bakery can't stop people from saying where their cake came from....also that is just a stupid business model.
The government shouldn't get involved with stupid business models. If it's stupid, they will fail on their own. (unless the government gets involved and bails them out)

Old 09-03-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I didn't ask that.

Nor did I ask your personal experience. Many do ask where the cake came from but that's not the question. To make it easier for you.

"I will make your cake but I have to tell you, I do not agree with your lifestyle"

What have we solved?
When was the last store you have been in shopping for pants or something and the owner felt the need to preach to you about his god and what he does and doesn't support?

Old 09-03-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
The government shouldn't get involved with stupid business models. If it's stupid, they will fail on their own. (unless the government gets involved and bails them out)
The government gets involved in anti discrimination issues because we the people have made it so, in order to protect people from discrimination because it obviously still happens, even today.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
When was the last store you have been in shopping for pants or something and the owner felt the need to preach to you about his god and what he does and doesn't support?
Again, we are not discussing whether it's a good idea. It matters none how many times it has happened to me but as I've noted earlier I have experienced someone not wanting to associate with me because of my "lifestyle".

I am not arguing it's a good idea. I am arguing that the "solution" here doesn't do anything about the problem.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:13 AM

20,127 posts, read 16,176,784 times
Quote:
I have no problem if they lost work because of negative publicity. The problem is the mess we create when we expect the government to punish people for having beliefs that are different than ours.
Absolutely! You can not legislate acceptance only compliance. You you try to legislate it, it creates resentment. Funny how people are okay with this crap when it supports their personal beliefs but they will be upset when they are on the other side.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:17 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,498,414 times
Quote:
I have no idea how they wanted the cake decorated. They did not want to participate in an activity they found offensive.

Businesses make these kind of decisions all the time. As I've asked before is it really better for them to have said that they would make the cake but they didn't want the couple to tell anyone where they got it because they did not want their business associated with an activity they disagreed with?

The solution here does not make the problem any better.
They were not participating in the wedding and they seem to not find divorce offensive or pagan weddings. Their being christian is secondary to their being a business, not primary, if they wanted to run a christian bakery, they should advertise as a christian bakery. They do not deserve to serve the public if they cannot provide equal service to everyone.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:18 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,637,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
There you go, straight from the horses mouth. Business is down.
You got what you wanted. The homosexual militant haters must be ecstatic. Somebody dared disagree with the homosexual and the homosexual was able to shut down a business and negatively impact this family’s ability to put food on the table. Good job losers!

Old 09-03-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
The government gets involved in anti discrimination issues because we the people have made it so, in order to protect people from discrimination because it obviously still happens, even today.
I understand that. It obviously does not fix the problem.

It is certainly not comparable 100% but people complain about someone like the Jehovah Witnesses knocking on their doors. I understand that there are times people don't want bothered but I made a friend by being willing to open my door to someone that I have a philosophical difference with.

It got to where I enjoyed when he would knock on the door. He would ask me about work and my family and I learned that his brother played football for the St Louis Cardinals in the 60's.

My wife asked me why I encouraged him? I didn't encourage him as I told him more than once that I wouldn't be attending his church but despite our differences he was a nice guy. He felt compelled to give me a Watchtower after every visit but eh, so what.

Maybe if the couple went in every couple weeks and bought some cookies and showed that their marriage is not causing the world to end the guy might realize that he was mistaken in his beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies