Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2013, 11:32 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
The couple had bought other things from the bakery, and one of their mothers wedding cake was from the bakery.

They had been to the bakery repeatedly.
I'm not discounting the point. I've read those statements where I hadn't before. Perhaps they are a lost cause, it happens. I still have to wonder if there is not a better way.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:36 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,429,912 times
I really dont get why some businesses dont understand why imposing their personal beliefs or opinions on their customers or clientele is unprofessional. Leave your feelings out of your business! Simple isnt it?

Old 09-04-2013, 11:39 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGold View Post
That is how most of them are taking this. That the world's people somehow exist for them and if they don't toe the line, they need to be destroyed.

"Second, note what the guy says in the clip about how they've made cakes for this couple before. They don’t refuse to serve gay customers, they refuse to serve gay weddings specifically"

It was like that hotel. People generally don't have a problem serving gay people until it runs into conflict with their religion. That doesn't make you a hateful "bigot" that needs to be destroyed. Must be more of that liberal tolerance.

I mean they served the gay couple before but had to draw a line. But somehow the gay couple, despite being served before felt as if they have been victimized or something. It went from "we just want to be left alone" to "you will respect and honor us"
That's the problem. Liberals cannot wait to brand these people as hateful, intolerant bigots. But these people were not bigots. They've served them in the past. They simply refused to bake a cake for a gay wedding, which would be participating in an act that violates their religious freedom.

This nothing more than an attempt to establish that gay rights supersede religious rights. You can't discriminate against gays, but we can discriminate against religion.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:47 AM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
According to which law? Or is this something you just decided? No one forced anyone to open a bakery, so your claim that this is forced labour has no merit.
Let me paraphrase "Forced Labor" for you. If I force you to work, to make something, against your will, for example you pick up a pan, some flour, vanilla, wheep cream, with your hands, shape it in the form of the cake. You pick it up, put it in the oven -- you know that is called work -- if you do this work, against your will, at any price -- that is defined as "Forced Labor". Just because the law says what it says, it does not mean it is not Forced Labor. It is what it is.

Why are libs so enamored with mandating others to do what libs want them to do? For example forcing a baker to bake a cake he does not want to? Isn't that dictatorial? If not, what is then?

Old 09-04-2013, 11:53 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Let me paraphrase "Free Labor" for you. If I force you to work, to make something, against your will, for example you pick up a pan, some flour, vanilla, wheep cream, with your hands, shape it in the form of the cake. You pick it up, put it in the oven -- you know that is called work -- if you do this work, against your will, at any price -- that is defined as "Forced Labor". Just because the law says what it says, it does not mean it is not Forced Labor. It is what it is.

Why are libs so enamored with mandating others to do what libs want them to do? For example forcing a baker to bake a cake he does not want to? Isn't that dictatorial? If not, what is then?

Dictatorial? Forced labor? Huh? Drama queens!

All laws are by definition, dictatorial.

If you don't want to subject yourself to the regulations that come with running a business.... DON'T OPEN A BUSINESS. A business owner operates free will in opening up a business, and agrees to abide by the rules regulating same.

In this case, the STATE law (not federal government) was in play. The STATE governments can pretty much pass whatever regulations they want that do not run afoul of the constitution, and there is no constitutional right to be free from the kind of class-protection regulations employed by the states.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:00 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
While I certainly would not want to force you to deal with those you dislike I am wondering if it would do the opposite here.

Making her move to her house hasn't. Again, maybe if over time she saw that this couple was really no different than they were he mind would change.

Seems to me that changing a persons mind is better than "punishment" in cases like this.
Yes, in the individual sense but in a business sense, no. I have seen people change their opinions on gays and lesbians after getting to know some of my friends, but one shouldn't have to spend money in a business that discriminates. I don't usually shop at stores to make new friends, I am usually there just to buy their product.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:01 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
I really dont get why some businesses dont understand why imposing their personal beliefs or opinions on their customers or clientele is unprofessional. Leave your feelings out of your business! Simple isnt it?
Exactly, it is amazing how many business owners that don't know how to act like a business owner.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:15 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonker View Post
Should we include the military in this weird "forced labor" tangent?

And who was it that said the Japanese Americans were "enslaved" during WWII? Did you mean "encamped" perhaps?

Anyway, the various sides of this argument don't seem willing to talk about compromise. Sad...

Did anyone ever answer my question about the bakers willingness to bake a cake for a Buddhist wedding?

Well clearly in the BAKER'S version of the Bible, adherence to other religions besides Christianity is A-OK with Jesus, but not being gay.

Despite the fact that Jesus EXPLICITLY prohibited the former, but not the latter....

Maybe if Christians had MORAL CONSISTENCY people would be able to accommodate their beliefs a little bit better. But, since it seems to change with the wind and whims of the individual adherents and sects of that religion we're stuck playing the "I'm such a martyr" game of whackamole with these people.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:23 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,283,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Let me paraphrase "Forced Labor" for you.
Why? I'm not interested in what you consider forced labour, I'm interested in what the law considers forced labour.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:44 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yes, in the individual sense but in a business sense, no. I have seen people change their opinions on gays and lesbians after getting to know some of my friends, but one shouldn't have to spend money in a business that discriminates. I don't usually shop at stores to make new friends, I am usually there just to buy their product.
No, they should not have to. I have made many friends by shopping in a new store. I buy and sell in the antique market as a side hobby/venture. It seems that this is pretty popular with the gay community also.

Has dealing with them on a regular basis for years helped form my opinions? I would think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies