Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 03:01 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,125,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
The only SUGGESTION I've heard comes from "the left" which is stricter laws.

I've yet to hear any suggestion come from those opposed to stricter laws...
Then you either haven't been "paying attention" as you said you have, or you chose not to listen.

And before you make any demands of me, Google it your own damn self. I'm too tired to do your work for you.

Quote:
... how we are going to fix the fact that in the past 10 months we've seen public shooting in every place from malls to navy buildings to elementary schools.
That's a neat trick. Imply that the only solution is what YOU want, because as we all know, there's no way to "fix" an irrevocable action that took place in the past. So we're either with you or against you, right?

I have an idea - get the divisive idiot occupying the White House out of that office, pronto. Maybe if he wasn't stoking the social flames so much, and had even the slightest inkling of what the F he was doing when it came to the economy, people might not be under so much stress and nearing the breaking point. Think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 03:13 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,169,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
Do you not care about the 3 people murdered in the Boston marathon bombings, or the 250+ injuries? 14 people lost limbs, completely altering their way of life.

I know it's a silly question, but Why do anti-gun people only care about murders committed with a firearm. Murder is murder, no matter what weapon is used.
Oh please, non sequitor. Did it ever occur to you WHY people are concerned about firearm deaths? Because of the inordinately LARGE numbers of firearm deaths & injuries in this country. I seriously don't know how people can turn a blind eye to that, it's really ridiculous.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:14 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,325,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Then you either haven't been "paying attention" as you said you have, or you chose not to listen.

And before you make any demands of me, Google it your own damn self. I'm too tired to do your work for you.

That's a neat trick. Imply that the only solution is what YOU want, because as we all know, there's no way to "fix" an irrevocable action that took place in the past. So we're either with you or against you, right?

I have an idea - get the divisive idiot occupying the White House out of that office, pronto. Maybe if he wasn't stoking the social flames so much, and had even the slightest inkling of what the F he was doing when it came to the economy, people might not be under so much stress and nearing the breaking point. Think about it.
Ignorance IS bliss, isn't it? You don't know me at all, but you have me all figured out. Pretty funny really. But that's fine. Yes, indeed, if there is one thing that I am it's an "if you're not with me your against me type" that's why I do things like compliment people who would ask "What's your alternate solution" and ask questions like "What would 'the other side' suggest!" Bravo, you got me figured out!

I am not sure how I implied that the only solution is the one that I want, and I certainly wasn't suggesting that it would fix an irrevocable action that took place in the past. That would be ludicrous. I was merely pointing out that in the past ten months we've seen a lot of mass shootings and something does need to be done about it. It makes sense to ME that we regulate guns more, but as I've also said I'm not an "anti-gun" guy, so I'm wide open to other solutions as we all should be.

All I can do is go off of personal experiences. The day of the Sandy Hook shootings I was at lunch from work, I came back and asked my boss if he had heard about it. I Sh*t you not, his response was "Dammit, now watch, they'll use that as an excuse to come after our guns"

I have been paying attention and have only seen a lot of paranoia and bickering, no real discussions and here we are ten months later and another mass shooting.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
Again, the easiest thing we can do is pass more laws. Usually the things worth doing require effort. Will passing the proposed gun laws really change anything? Dig deep, and really consider this.

I'm well aware that you don't want to focus on preventing death, only preventing gun deaths. My reality is that of the friends of mine who have been murdered, none were committed with firearms. So if guns never existed, both of my friends would still be dead. You can probably see why I'm more worried about violence in general, rather than making firearms into some kind of boogieman.
I've never posted anything like this before, and I really don't care if it gets me banned, but you really are an idiot aren't you?
Actually I do care if that gets me banned because the idea that you are arrogant enough to suggest that I don't want to focus on preventing death is an attack on me.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:23 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Point to one single solitary right that you had that the POTUS has taken away. Really paranoid **** on these boards. The majority of the nation is for background checks and that is a fact. That is what the POTUS has pushed for.
how aout our fourth amendment rights? remember the NSA?

Quote:
So you're fine with private companies setting their own rules, but you were complaining about those rules.
Not all apartment complexes have those rules, sadly I've lived in ones that don't. So all the government did, in your theory, is allow private business owners the freedom to make rules for their own properties.
what i am complaining about is the GOVERNMENT forcing those rules on everyone. and if you actually read the rules, all it takes is ONE PERSON to complain about smoking, and you cant smoke in a commercial building at all. then the government came in and said you cant smoke within 20ft of an opening to that building.

Quote:
Well we certainly don't want people to make decisions based on real life facts of things that are happening now. It makes much more sense to pretend to look into the future and what "might could happen" and then do nothing, because sure things are really really messed up now, but maybe things might get worse!
more typical bullcrap. as i said if we are going to keep our freedoms, we have to be ever vigilant, now and in the future. we have to understand that there are people who are constantly working to reduce or eliminate our freedoms ALL THE TIME.

here is an example, remember back in the 1920s and 1930s when the feds would tap into the phones of the various mobs around the country? they had to get a warrant to do that, and they had to do it in open court. and the effort was restricted to just criminal organizations. today however, the feds can go to a secret court, and get a warrant to tap your phone, and you would NEVER know it was happening. and again the NSA was tasked with gathering intelligence for foreign sources to prevent attacks on the US. today they can gather intelligence from EVERYONE anytime they wish, again through the fisa courts, and again unless someone lets the cat out of the bag, the average person would never know. and even though it is STILL GOING ON, no one really cares anymore because we are now used to it happening. now tell me incrementalism is a failure.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

what i am complaining about is the GOVERNMENT forcing those rules on everyone. and if you actually read the rules, all it takes is ONE PERSON to complain about smoking, and you cant smoke in a commercial building at all. then the government came in and said you cant smoke within 20ft of an opening to that building.

more typical bullcrap. as i said if we are going to keep our freedoms, we have to be ever vigilant, now and in the future. we have to understand that there are people who are constantly working to reduce or eliminate our freedoms ALL THE TIME.

here is an example, remember back in the 1920s and 1930s when the feds would tap into the phones of the various mobs around the country? they had to get a warrant to do that, and they had to do it in open court. and the effort was restricted to just criminal organizations. today however, the feds can go to a secret court, and get a warrant to tap your phone, and you would NEVER know it was happening. and again the NSA was tasked with gathering intelligence for foreign sources to prevent attacks on the US. today they can gather intelligence from EVERYONE anytime they wish, again through the fisa courts, and again unless someone lets the cat out of the bag, the average person would never know. and even though it is STILL GOING ON, no one really cares anymore because we are now used to it happening. now tell me incrementalism is a failure.
So no more new laws ever. We can never make any new laws because back in the 20's and 30's the feds had to get a warrant to go after mobsters, but now they are tapping phones without our knowledge.

Yes, I agree more typical bullcrap and more dodging the point that it's not a "all or nothing" world that we live in.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:49 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,140,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

No, but you are...

Quote:
Bush-Cheney began illegal NSA spying before 9/11
Bush-Cheney began illegal NSA spying before 9/11, says telcom CEO : politics

NSA Surveillance Program: Obama Can't Stop What Bush and Congress Started

A president can only make meaningful reform to the protections of civil liberties where he has the buy-in of Congress. President Bush initiated the NSA surveillance program with the consent of Congress, but tried to pass a guest-worker immigration legislation and was stonewalled. President Obama has supported constitutional challenges to the Defense of Marriage Act thereby supporting fundamental rights for couples in same-sex marriages, and he may sign into law legislation that increases protections of civil liberties for undocumented immigrants. Both presidents tried to protect civil liberties and national security in a way they thought was balanced. But these agency programs are largely governed by policies established by congressional legislation.

NSA Surveillance Program: Obama Can't Stop What Bush and Congress Started
Many warned against the Patriot Act and how its power would not be easily relinquished, but Bush could do no wrong...right?

Old 09-17-2013, 03:57 PM

9,143 posts, read 5,807,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
No one is proposing a prohibition on guns, so much for that analogy.
No one? You haven't been listening to Feinstein.

"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban,
picking up every one of them — Mr. & Mrs. America, turn them all in — I would have done it.
I could not do that. The votes weren't here."

Old 09-17-2013, 04:15 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,331,642 times
Quote:

I have an idea - get the divisive idiot occupying the White House out of that
office, pronto. Maybe if he wasn't stoking the social flames so much, and had
even the slightest inkling of what the F he was doing when it came to the
economy, people might not be under so much stress and nearing the breaking
point. Think about it.
Riiiight! The reason for all the gun crime is Obama. If Romney had gotten in, the lion would lie down with the lamb, everyone would sing Kumbaya and peace would reign eternal.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:59 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,060,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I'm trying to connect automobiles and guns in this theory. I mean an automobile is a necessity of life for 99% of US citizens.

A gun is a necessity for 1% at the most.
The right to bear arms is a constitutionally granted right.

Owning and driving a motor vehicle is a privilege.

Besides, who's to say who "needs" a gun?

You?

Some bureaucrat?

Thousands of home invasions happen every month in America.....a firearm is "needed" in those cases.

Besides, it is a right which comes from god....the right to protect oneself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies