Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 03:41 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Ya think??
That sarcasm flew right over your head, did it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 03:46 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
That sarcasm flew right over your head, did it?
Based on your the logic exhibited in the first post of the sequence:
Quote:
"encourage higher education..." LOL

Please, sit down. If we truly encouraged higher education, then the majority of those who graduate with a degree wouldn't be slobbering idiots. How many college educated people are right here, on this very CD forum, who can't spell worth a ****, can't form a coherent sentence, don't understand what they read, have no critical thinking skills, can't do math, do not understand basic economics....and you say that we "encourage" higher education?

No, what we encourage is an illusion.

If we were so educated, then why do other countries rank higher than us in intelligence even though LESS of their people get a higher education?
I thought you were dead serious.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:14 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I must have really smart friends. They absolutely have 'your' and 'you're" down pat.
I have my intellectual friends who constantly post obnoxious stuff on Facebook about grammar.
Then I have less cerebral friends...you know...regular folk.

Lol!

Old 10-10-2013, 08:44 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
1 out of 4 Americans do not have a degree.
I don't include internet degrees to be valid though the federal government will give you a managerial position for your slight effort. Says a lot about the federal workforce, right?

Who checks out your groceries for you? Who builds houses and does the pubic utility and roadwork? Who sells you your clothes? Who waits on you in bank? Who hauls your trash away eery few days? Who makes your Subway sandwich? Who is in Afghanistan with bullets flying at them?

I never got one but got enough schooling to command satellites for NASA and other big entities in the DC area. You only need to learn the real meat and potatoes then and your field. I know things they don't teach in university. I've had to teach college grads with 'impressive' degrees how to do the job they were hired for.
Its funny how that works. They get the recognition because of their title. The place falls apart if I don't show up. If they act snooty I let them flounder and they remember who is who. I wrote the software and configured the system - it's all documented but I own it. I got phones calls all the time after I retired because they didn't know. Duh...its all documented...what did college do for you?
I find your observations interesting.

It does seem as if you have somewhat of a bias or resentment of those who are more highly educated, but do not possess the practical skills to function in your line of work without training. However here is a question you need to ask yourself. While you can train these "titled people" to do the job, could you have gone through what they had to as easily? Another words, they may lack knowledge of common sense applications of how to do certain things, but can be taught(i.e. operate certain equipment). Yet could you have taken the road they went down, achieved good enough grades to get an under grad and eventually a graduate degree?

In answer to your last question, on some level I agree with you. Far too many people go to college that either do not have the capacity to use the knowledge they receive to parlay it into anything useful/tangible. It could be because they did not have the intellectual capacity, and were pushed beyond it by programs like affirmative action. Or it could be they were very smart, but chose a field of study that was not practical to get a job in todays society. Still others were coddled their entire lives, and could not change a flat tire despite their higher education. However you cannot assume that just because they are not street smart/savvy, that they do not have the ability to learn those things, and others beyond what the average Joe can do.

`

Old 10-10-2013, 04:25 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
That and we're importing them in massive numbers.
This is what I was thinking, the study probably had nothing to do with American citizens.

Next we will find out Putin had the study conducted under a secret plan that he and Obama agreed on.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:16 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
US adults are dumber than the average human | New York Post

Here is yet another study to confirm that the educational system in America is badly broken.
But then what do you expect from anything the government manages.
They are absolutely correct.

The "typical" American is a moron.

That's why we have obama as potus.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:29 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times
Default Another study confirms Americans are stupid

Most of them are GOP supporters and drink the tea.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:40 AM

66 posts, read 69,802 times
what's the fu_ing topic?) if America-dumb-then who are the others? if America-dumb-then who are the others? strange relationship - and then - it's important to have not only iq but the other hemisphere of the brain - the combined intellect and soul. many countries have neither the one nor the other

Old 10-11-2013, 07:08 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
They are absolutely correct.

The "typical" American is a moron.

That's why we have obama as potus.
Many, many low-information Americans would most definitely agree with you. Sadly, they are all too well represented here on c-d.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:19 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
US adults are dumber than the average human | New York Post

Here is yet another study to confirm that the educational system in America is badly broken.
But then what do you expect from anything the government manages.
Not surprised at all. You have to be pretty dumb to elect Obama.... TWICE!!!!!!!!

And oh by the way, the study was done by Americans....... who are dumb..... so how credible is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies