Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 05:15 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,031,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom
ACA created a baseline for healthcare insurance and the sub prime policies no longer qualified or were eligible for grandfathering.

When in 2009, Obama said " you could keep your (individual )plan" the ACA was far from final.

There is no upside for any sitting president to intentionally lie about anything because it will all come back to haunt him. There's zero upside.
Hold on a minute

"I did not have sex with that... woman."
"I am not a crook"
"read my lips"
"the soviets nuclear arsenal is larger than the US"

Teddy Roosevelt was a consummate liar, nearly always to start a war(Panama) yet is considered among the top 10 of all time best Presidents.

FDR is considered in the top 5 of all time best Presidents and he lied about provoking the attack on the USS Greer by the Germans. He also squeezed Japan intentionally to provoke them into attacking us. His lies cost millions of lives.

I believe GWB is a habitual liar, who is only eclipsed by Obama who adds narcissism to his menu of poisons.

To say that a President wouldn't intentionally lie is beyond absurd. They live on lies.

It's easier to lie to people, than to convince them they've been lied to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 06:15 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,147,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
A statistically insignificant percentage of the U.S. population has participated in the 2003 HSA federal tax shelter. As I understand it, about 4.5 million people maintain HSAs. Of this, only about 1 million do so independent of their employers.

HSAs survived the ACA with some changes. ACA increased the annual cap of money one may temporarily shelter from federal taxes for purposes of future medical expenses. ACA lowered the max on FSA, making contributions to an HSA more attractive to those who can afford them. ACA also allowed HSA withdrawals for preventative health care that was previously not possible.

In contrast, ACA increased the previous penalty for non medical withdrawals and as I understand it, did so because such accounts were being used to shelter income more so than to save towards future medical expenses.
What the ACA does to HSAs is to prevent the pairing of a cheaper, more catastrophic plan which makes more financial sense to those who can plan. When you combine a more expensive plan the increase in premiums makes funding the HSA more difficult and MORE out of reach for the average person DESPITE the large deductibles associated with the ACA compatible plans.
Whether you have a loaded plan with max out of pocket expense of 12K or bare bones plan with out of pocket max of 12K, why pay more for the loaded plan? You want enough saved in your HSA to cover your max OOP.
The ACA merely subsidizes insurance companies to give forth higher priced yet still garbage plans to the general public. Their deductibles are higher than the average per capita health expense for a reason. People will be paying higher premiums to pay for care until they (and mostly likely won't occur) reach deductibles. You've got the world's most expensive Physical Examination thanks to the govt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies