Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2013, 08:41 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Just like some people assume government can reduce the cost.
The rest of the developed world governments have managed to do just that.

Last I checked, people were not dying in the streets of Germany or Switzerland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 09:18 AM

7,507 posts, read 5,755,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The cost of healthcare insurance has increased by about 7.5% each year since 2000. That's a 90% increase for the period of 2000-2010. Kaiser Institute reports that employee contributions to their employers' group healthcare plans have increased about 89% during that same period. And non of this has anything to do with the ACA.

This is the U.S. free market at work.

The rest of the developed word pays a fraction of U.S. healthcare costs because those government are substantially more involved in healthcare than it is in the U.S.
If that is true then the moron and his moron minions just increased the cost of Healthcare by 10 and in some cases 20 years for a millions of Americans.. By the way, where are all the articles talking about how much ObummerCare has lowered the cost of Health Care? Where are all the articles claiming the happy millions of um-insured being insured?

The Village Idiot put in office by the Village Drunks....

Old 10-26-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's not what YOU want anymore..it's what the government mandates.

There were people just fine with the coverage they had but Uncle Sam decided it wasn't good enough so now they have nothing.
Are you fine with premiums increasing at 7.5% a year? Are you fine that insurance premiums increased 90% between 2000-2010 which had nothing to do with ACA?

Healthcare, as a percentage of GDP is approaching 20%. Only in the USA.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post

Mom, is it taxpayer money paying you to post here?
No one pays me to post here or anywhere.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Which is why Obamacare is one of the DUMBEST bills ever passed.. It tries to make a one plan fit all scenario..
A standard baseline for all healthcare insurance is dumb?

Last I checked the individual market, there were 4 plans, bronze, silver, gold and platinum.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Get your head out of the sand and read the thread in which you are so enthusiastically participating. I had richer benefits pre-ACA: lower out of pocket maximum exposures, complete coverage for everything that could happen to me and mine. Stubbornly clinging to falsehoods is not helping us get to a better place.
What state?
What lifetime cap?
What exclusions?

All individual plans expire annually. That's the time when insurers choose to not renew those who were diagnosed with excluded conditions in the past 12 months. That's also the time when insurers increase premiums. Healthcare insurance premiums have increased by 7.5% each year between 2000-2010. That's a 90% increase in a ten year period. Healthcare is now approaching 20% of GDP in the U.S. and none of this had anything to do with ACA.

What was your back up plan if you had unfortunately become 1/3 people diagnosed with some form of Cancer in their lifetime and your insurer dropped you? No law requires a hospital/medical practice to treat you. Cancer Treatment Centers routinely deny treating people without insurance or who are under insured if they are unable to pay cash before treatment begins.

There is no way to predict the full course of treatment and thus cost, given outcomes are variable. Treatment can exceed the former policy lifetime cap in less than a year. Then what?

Old 10-26-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Would you approve of a law which says that you must pay a $5 tax in order to walk into a store, in order to help subsidize shoplifters? Somehow I doubt you would..

We all pay a premium for goods because of shoplifting.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
If we were already "pay[ing] for people who do not insure their healthcare risks" before the ACA was passed, tell me again why we had to get the federal government involved in ruining everyone's health insurance coverage?
Everyone's insurance coverage was ruined?

Creating a baseline for service and out of pocket maximums ( which include co-pays and the deductible) , eliminating lifetime caps and the insurer's ability to cancel your policy in the event you become sick, ruined it for everyone?

Old 10-26-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Bullhockey! Insurance companies dictate to doctors what to do, when to do it, and why. They even tell a doctor how many patients must be treated which leads to shorter consultation times.

Insurance companies rule the health industry. Long gone are the days when doctor knew best.

A good 30 years ago I knew a woman who had a double mastectomy. The hospital sent her home on the second day because that's all the insurance company wanted to pay for.

Absolutely disgraceful!
This is the post you responded to:

"Your insurer has never been a part of determining what's best for you. Your insurer is in the business of making money. Those insurers who sold sub prime plans with high deductibles, low lifetime caps and exclusions were on the gravy train"

I think we are in agreement, no?

Old 10-26-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"So maybe it can be amended". What part of, "I will NOT negotiate, said by Obama and Reid, do you not understand?
Repealing ACA in exchange for raising the debt ceiling was a non-starter.

40-50 prior attempts to repeal ACA without offering an alternative is not bargaining in good faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies