Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2013, 11:18 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Obamacare will end up being a pool of sick and poor people who want others to help pay for their insurance. It will blow up financially.
Right now, most U.S. people are insured through their employer's large group healthcare plans. Many of those plans were already ACA compliant on 1/1/2013. These large group healthcare plans will continue to represent the majority of people who are insured under ACA.

Under such plans, the 25 year old pays the same as the 55 year old. Under such plans, maternity care is covered even through most of the insured will not be engaging in unprotected sex. Many of those policies previously included most if not all of the essential healthcare services specified by the ACA.

Employers have been and remain free to change insurers or plans within insurers, each year. When they do, PPOs often change. Medical practices and hospitals opt in and out of PPOs all the time. The MD one used last year may or may not be eligible the next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Ummm, you are forgetting that I already had coverage with a FAMILY max out of pocket of just $6k, the best policy on the market in my state, Blue Cross. I was not, and never have been, seriously underinsured.

It is some kind of twisted fantasy to pretend that the ACA brings nothing but benefits to all. It is a total POS, and I wish politicians in both parties would get after fixing the worst parts of it immediately.
What state and what was the lifetime maximum of your policy?

Old 10-25-2013, 11:22 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Right now, most U.S. people are insured through their employer's large group healthcare plans. Many of those plans were already ACA compliant on 1/1/2013. These large group healthcare plans will continue to represent the majority of people who are insured under ACA.

Under such plans, the 25 year old pays the same as the 55 year old. Under such plans, maternity care is covered even through most of the insured will not be engaging in unprotected sex. Many of those policies previously included most if not all of the essential healthcare services specified by the ACA.

Employers have been and remain free to change insurers or plans within insurers, each year. When they do, PPOs often change. Medical practices and hospitals opt in and out of PPOs all the time. The MD one used last year may or may not be eligible the next year.
And yet millions of people are having their policies cancelled, their hours cut, and benefits done away with..

Must be one big fat coincidence of the timing.. Really? Are you that nieve?

Old 10-25-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post

What do you think will happen when MOST people dont pay their $6K deductible? Where will that money come from?
$6K is financeable.

The max out of pocket expenses used to be a variable.
Individual policies usually had many exemptions.
Individual policies contained a lifetime cap.
Individual policies gave the insurer the ability to not renew if you were unfortunate enough to have acquired a medical situation they chose to not insure.

I would rather be on the hook for $6K than $1million.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:29 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
$6K is financeable.

The max out of pocket expenses used to be a variable.
Individual policies usually had many exemptions.
Individual policies contained a lifetime cap.
Individual policies gave the insurer the ability to not renew if you were unfortunate enough to have acquired a medical situation they chose to not insure.

I would rather be on the hook for $6K than $1million.
Completely unreal.. People who couldnt pay $6 a month for birth control, are now somehow supposed to finance $500 a month in medical costs IN ADDITION to their premium hikes..

Did you fail accounting?

Old 10-25-2013, 11:29 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,957,870 times
The past month has finally made at least one Democrat into a truth teller. His name is Max Baucus, and he accurately described the ACA as a "train wreck."

Old 10-25-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
My family insurance is going from $1400 per month 70/30, 0 deductible to $1089 90/10, 0 deductible. And I could buy a 2K deductible, 80/20 for 300 less than that, No subsidy for me. Am I happy? You betcha! But then I had a good policy not some piece of garbage tissue paper loincloth from Celtic or Golden Rule or something. Apples to apples, Obamacare has a better price.
I am covered by a large group plan so am not shopping.

Given that could change, I have always tracked the cost of a comparable individual policies. I expected to see a doubling of premiums under ACA given the richness of the benefits. Instead, premiums are 35-50% less for richer benefits. Those premiums are also 50% higher than the premium that would be charged to a 25 year old.

I can and do appreciate that mileage varies within and across states.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Whats weird is these are the same people who wined that $6 a month birth control needed to be covered because people couldnt afford it, but now all of a sudden they have $6k a year to pay for deductibles..

And they arent even embarassed by their position, thats what sad..
Despite knowing better, people become parents when they engage in unprotected sex. The prenatal and delivery cost for a healthy pregnancy ranges between $10,000-15,000. Makes sense for an insurer to pick up $6/mo. to prevent a $10,000-15,000 claim for an unplanned pregnancy.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:52 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Discovering Obama lies, is not hard at all.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
I don't think anyone really believes your stories. The website works perfectly for you, you get more and better coverage, you pay less.

I'm sorry, but you just aren't credible.
Some people are going straight to the insurer's website.

That's what I did to determine what my costs would be, if I had a need for an individual policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies