Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2013, 12:35 PM

7,934 posts, read 9,158,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Some people are going straight to the insurer's website.

That's what I did to determine what my costs would be, if I had a need for an individual policy.
What is your obsession on a program that you admit doesn't even effect you? Are you an Obama volunteer? A paid blogger?

How about let the people who have paid their own insurance for years explain why it worked for them? Not every self employed person couldn't afford insurance. They chose a different way of insuring that covered the catastrophes while accumulating money via HSAs that could be used as a retirement vehicle down the road.
The elimination of these policies via the ACA is what is aggravating. Obamacare is just a handout to the insurance and IT industries. The subsidy goes to,the company, not the consumer. Subsidizing a HSA would be smarter in the long term as the average amount of healthcare dollars spent per consumer is less than 2K a year. The left over money can earn interest and be carried over from year to year, eventually used for a Medicare supplement or retirement costs. This policy will help people financially for the long term, Obamacare just pays the insurance company.

This is the anger towards the new plans under ACA. They are not the best choice for those who are unsubsidized or for those who have some intelligence in financial matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 12:47 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
How's it affordable? The prices have gone up for almost everyone.
You know how when something bad happens, it gets all the attention, but when something good happens, it doesn't get much attention? Well, that's kind of the deal with all the anecdotes about prices going up. For some people, whose policies were pretty bare bones, the new ACA-compliant policies are more expensive, but for others, whose policies were fairly comprehensive, the marketplace actually offers competitive policies, some more expensive, some less expensive. I've found two policies that offer more coverage at lower prices. Because of the press coverage about possible inaccuracy in the pricing, I'm holding off making any commitment until later in November. But I suspect that I'm not unique, that others are discovering lower prices, and others who haven't been covered are finding affordable coverage. But we're not in the news because we don't match the narrative. The narrative from the media is about what a disaster the ACA website is (it may be improving, but it was terrible to begin with), and the anti-Obamacare narrative is that prices have gone up for everyone. As long as those two narratives are the stories the press wants to focus on, you're not going to get much else. Also, I would NEVER report my experiences to the press. I do value my privacy, and I think insurance is a private matter. I'm just sharing my experience anonymously on this thread because I think that it merits being a part of the discussion. For some people, prices will go up, and for others prices will go down. And there will certainly be people who have been unable, for whatever reason, or unwilling to get coverage who will discover affordable coverage. And there will be others who will prefer to pay the penalty. It is what it is.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:49 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
So the people losing their coverage is of no interest to you.....got it. All the ACA managed to do was switch people around.
Since I'm one of the people who has lost coverage, and I even said as much in an earlier post, your assertion is nonsense.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:54 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,430,247 times
Question: Why? Why can't people be allowed to BUY WHAT THEY WANT????

Answer: because then the populous wouldn't be the good drones king Obama wants us to be, the government and the press have spent a lot of time and money dumbing down the American people and now they expect us to roll over and do what they want when they want without question. I cannot see this ending well.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:27 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Is this just price fixing in an industry?

Price fixing is highly illegal.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:34 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Is this just price fixing in an industry?

Price fixing is highly illegal.
No because insurance cos can charge whatever they want. They compete with each other.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2

Old 10-25-2013, 02:28 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
Quote:
What state and what's the lifetime cap on your current policy?
The killer with individual policies has always been the insurer's right to not renew if the insured party was diagnosed with a situation they would rather not insure.
With the massive level of ignorance about health insurance, it is no wonder the democrats managed to pull off what they pulled off.

NO INSUROR in the past 100 years could single out a specific insured for cancellation of health insurance, particularly based on claims history. I need to stop reading this thread now. I'm afraid of viral stupidity. Is it malice or ignorance to pretend that every aspect of what we had was abusive? Did you know that insurance has been regulated for a century or more?

Old 10-25-2013, 02:30 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,018,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
You know how when something bad happens, it gets all the attention, but when something good happens, it doesn't get much attention? Well, that's kind of the deal with all the anecdotes about prices going up. For some people, whose policies were pretty bare bones, the new ACA-compliant policies are more expensive, but for others, whose policies were fairly comprehensive, the marketplace actually offers competitive policies, some more expensive, some less expensive. I've found two policies that offer more coverage at lower prices. Because of the press coverage about possible inaccuracy in the pricing, I'm holding off making any commitment until later in November. But I suspect that I'm not unique, that others are discovering lower prices, and others who haven't been covered are finding affordable coverage. But we're not in the news because we don't match the narrative. The narrative from the media is about what a disaster the ACA website is (it may be improving, but it was terrible to begin with), and the anti-Obamacare narrative is that prices have gone up for everyone. As long as those two narratives are the stories the press wants to focus on, you're not going to get much else. Also, I would NEVER report my experiences to the press. I do value my privacy, and I think insurance is a private matter. I'm just sharing my experience anonymously on this thread because I think that it merits being a part of the discussion. For some people, prices will go up, and for others prices will go down. And there will certainly be people who have been unable, for whatever reason, or unwilling to get coverage who will discover affordable coverage. And there will be others who will prefer to pay the penalty. It is what it is.
I think we are beyond anecdotes about prices going up and, perhaps even worse, people losing their current coverage.

Old 10-25-2013, 04:48 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
$6K is financeable.

The max out of pocket expenses used to be a variable.
Individual policies usually had many exemptions.
Individual policies contained a lifetime cap.
Individual policies gave the insurer the ability to not renew if you were unfortunate enough to have acquired a medical situation they chose to not insure.

I would rather be on the hook for $6K than $1million.
Who the hell are you or any liberal to tell me what I want?

Old 10-26-2013, 08:38 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post

How's it affordable? The prices have gone up for almost everyone.
The cost of healthcare insurance has increased by about 7.5% each year since 2000. That's a 90% increase for the period of 2000-2010. Kaiser Institute reports that employee contributions to their employers' group healthcare plans have increased about 89% during that same period. And non of this has anything to do with the ACA.

This is the U.S. free market at work.

The rest of the developed word pays a fraction of U.S. healthcare costs because those government are substantially more involved in healthcare than it is in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies