Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2013, 12:54 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,459,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Was reading some interesting blogs today, and some have a good point. If the US military were disbanded tomorrow, you would still enjoy all of the constitutional rights you currently enjoy.

I suppose the idea is that, without protection, we would lose our form of government.

Is this true? Many from the right wing scream constitutionality. Do they know that our forefathers feared a standing army? Madison said that a over powered executive with a bloated military would not long be a friend to liberty.

So why the love affair with the military? I served. I didn't feel I was any better or worse then anyone else.

Why should we thank military veterans for a constitutional right? They didn't give it to us, and the idea that Americans would roll over while invaded by foreign powers because our military is half it's current size is asinine.

We are a government of the people, for the people, and by the people. Without every citizen doing their part, we wouldn't have freedom.
our military would side with the people over the government in a heartbeat. thank you to all vets

Old 11-11-2013, 12:56 PM

2,963 posts, read 3,532,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Apparently It's not only Veteran's Day it's also Diss-A-Liberal Day!!! Who knew?

Yep, folks. The only good veteran is an uber-right veteran. Be sure to salute them and hand a card for psychiatric care to the lefty who served in Vietnam.
DewDropInn, the ideas of the American Left are absurd. Amnesty for illegal aliens, affirmative action (which is clearly not the same thing as equal opportunity), redistribution of wealth, the idea of a single payer health system which will lead to long wait times for medical procedures (and probably harm medical innovations), the destruction of our second amendment liberties, and the idea that government should dictate every element of our lives. Look at all the nasty stuff your side posts on here and you wonder why we conservatives have our fun, lol?

Old 11-11-2013, 12:57 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
You need to work harder on modifying others perception if you truly aren't a left winger.
Much like some good Republican nominees are passed over for morons who support vaginal probes.

Used to be the Republican party was a big tent. Now if you can't do a 10 point check list, you're a liberal.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:57 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
John Quincy Adams feared that a strong military would force the United States to "go abroad seeking monsters to destroy", and racking up huge debt and deficits in the process.

He was forewarning us against the Reagans and Bushes in today's GOP.
If we didn't have a strong military you would be speaking Japanese.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:59 PM

2,963 posts, read 3,532,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Do you have anything to contribute beyond asinine platitudes?

You new here?
What I post is justified and you just proved it .

Old 11-11-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
What size military did we have in 1940?

We raised armies. Fought and won wars, then dismantled most of that military after we won.

Had done that through 1946. So you're saying our founding fathers were weak on defense because they dismantled the army?

Old 11-11-2013, 01:01 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,229,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The military does not provide freedom. Thinking a veteran for them makes no sense.
I've been thanked for my service, but never have I been thanked for providing freedom. I was going to give a knee jerk reaction to this, but I decided to read the thread and it got me thinking a bit.

I can certainly understand the logic behind thanking a Veteran or active duty member for providing freedom since they took up an oath to defend the Constitution and it's that same document that provides the freedoms and rights we enjoy. I get it.

Though it is important to understand that the military doesn't PROVIDE freedom; it defends it. Big, big difference between providing and defending.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:03 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Or German.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
I've been thanked for my service, but never have I been thanked for providing freedom. I was going to give a knee jerk reaction to this, but I decided to read the thread and it got me thinking a bit.

I can certainly understand the logic behind thanking a Veteran or active duty member for providing freedom since they took up an oath to defend the Constitution and it's that same document that provides the freedoms and rights we enjoy. I get it.

Though it is important to understand that the military doesn't PROVIDE freedom; it defends it. Big, big difference between providing and defending.
And that's all I'm saying. The defense department is not there to provide freedom. We say that police are there to protect and serve. They are not though, they enforce law.

I thank nearly all veterans for their service.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:06 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
That qualifies as a "song?"
Rap is nothing more than Crap with the "C" removed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies