Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2013, 03:00 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,060,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yes. Lake Erie is owned by the government and is polluted. Disneyland, not so much. LMAO
You would be correct.

The ghetto dwellers that are obama's biggest supporters are still the ones pouring used motor oil down the storm sewers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 03:02 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Immediately? No. But it most definitely would remove the government's incentive to maintain as wide of an income gap as possible in order to maximize tax revenue. AND more people would take a much more active role in holding politicians and our government accountable because they would have a financial stake in making sure the government cuts back on excess spending, waste, and sweetheart no-bid contracts for their friends.
Actually I disagree. The incentives for no-bid contracts, and most of the things you attribute to inequality....wouldn't change. Nothing in the flat tax causes them to change. Oh sure "responsible government" would do that, but they would do that anyways-we're not in a place where thats going to happen. I've had this discussion with other flat tax proponents, and it always comes down to "well thats the way it should work"...and the reality is...in a perfect world where decisions were made in the best interests of everyone that would work. We don't have a perfect world. I dont for an instant buy into the idea that taxing poor and middle class people more would somehow result in less inequality. And I'm surprised when many people who are otherwise cynical about the government suddenly believe in magic.

Quote:
There is no such thing as a voucher school. What a voucher does is enable education money to follow the student to the school they attend. It means those who want to escape abysmally performing schools can do so.It would be good, but as I stated in my recent post, actually educating everyone to the best of their ability is against the Democrats' best interest. The DNC knows darn well their largest voter demographic is the undereducated and poor.
Oddly enough you are wrong. Im not sure why you believe this, LOTS of studies show that people with more education vote Democrat. Take a look here:
http://www.people-press.org/files/le...Party%20ID.pdf

Quote:
Which is why I said "and the books that have followed." Stanley continues his research on the rich, has published more books since then, and posts updates, etc., on his website. His books are available to borrow at libraries. It won't cost you a dime to read them unless you keep them out past their return due date.
LOL, the cost of a book isn't what influences me, its my time that influences me. I may look at some of the newer ones just to keep up with the discussion with folks, but I don't value them as I did when I was younger. Why? Because I have found that books that try and lead you to a preferred solution aren't as helpful as you might think. Ever read Execution: The discipline of getting things done? Its a business related book. I SWORE by it when it was released.....but now that time has passed a lot of the success stories have failed. I still think a lot of its core concepts are good, but they're the ones everyone knows. Theres nothing magic in the book. And the ideas in it...that werent common sense, while they sound nice...they just don't deliver. And yes I've read rich dad poor dad, the next door millionairre, they all have a side agenda, or are designed to lead you to a destination that the authors pre-choose and cherry pick facts to back up the destination, ignoring all other evidence. I admit its been a while since I read it, maybe a newer book will be more relevant.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:04 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Even with the billions of dollars that our tax dollars waste on the EPA, there is still a lot of polluting going on.

The fact is, that the EPA regulations are so prohibitive, many people illegally dump to avoid the cost of proper disposal.

A friend of mine had asbestos siding on his house.....the cost of removal and disposal....over $5,000. He simply buried it in his yard.
The point of the video, that I supplied, was that according to a poster here, if Disney could only own the air that we breathe, they wouldn't pollute it because they would take pride in it. Absurd!

Yes, we should allow for free proper disposal of toxins and this cost should be covered with tax dollars for the very reason you have posted.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:05 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
Quote:
You would be correct.

The ghetto dwellers that are obama's biggest supporters are still the ones pouring used motor oil down the storm sewers.
Can you show us the statistics for this?

Old 11-13-2013, 03:09 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,021,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
How Unequal We Are: The Top 5 Facts You Should Know About The Wealthiest One Percent Of Americans | ThinkProgress

[MOD CUT/copyright/hotlinking]

This needs to change and some people do not see this as a problem . This right here is why republicans should never have a majority of any every again if they do they will own 60% to 70% of the wealth and US will be a third world country
I know one thing that won't help this problem and that's to force more middle class and working class americans to pay more for healthcare, which is exactly what the ACA is doing.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:44 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
So before government regulations, many waterways were so polluted that they weren't even fit for animal life. They didn't do it then, why would they do it now?
They never had a stake in the game. The government did. It needs to be structured so that the business has a financial reason to keep the river or lake clean.

Quote:
You are talking about self-contained small bodies of water completely within the confines of a tourist-type destination. What reasons would a chemical company have for not dumping into a river that flowed away from them?
They wouldn't own the entire river but would obviously have to own the part that they would potentially pollute. There would need to be incentives for the business to keep the river clean. Just like Disney World, they need a business reason to do the right thing.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Even with the billions of dollars that our tax dollars waste on the EPA, there is still a lot of polluting going on.

The fact is, that the EPA regulations are so prohibitive, many people illegally dump to avoid the cost of proper disposal.

A friend of mine had asbestos siding on his house.....the cost of removal and disposal....over $5,000. He simply buried it in his yard.
That's because when it's regulated by government, businesses will only do the minimum (at best) to meet the regulations.

You are correct in that pollution is a huge problem today even after millions of government regulations and billions of dollars being spent. The answer is not to layer on even more regulations.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The point of the video, that I supplied, was that according to a poster here, if Disney could only own the air that we breathe, they wouldn't pollute it because they would take pride in it. Absurd!.
No, that's the opposite of what I said. 100% opposite.

Disney wouldn't pollute if clean air improved their business. Maybe you can't read, but I specifically said that they would do nothing for altruistic reasons.

You obviously don't understand the concept because your bias is for government to control everything in our lives.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:53 PM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Actually I disagree. The incentives for no-bid contracts, and most of the things you attribute to inequality....wouldn't change. Nothing in the flat tax causes them to change.
What makes you think another 63+ million taxpayers with a stake in the government's fiscal responsibility wouldn't make a difference? Remember that there are 135 million federal income tax filers but only 71.5 million actually pay any federal income tax whatsoever.

Quote:
Oddly enough you are wrong. Im not sure why you believe this, LOTS of studies show that people with more education vote Democrat.
Explain this:

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/mt...0vs%20Vote.png

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-18-2013 at 10:20 AM..

Old 11-13-2013, 04:41 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
What makes you think another 63+ million taxpayers with a stake in the government's fiscal responsibility wouldn't make a difference? Remember that there are 135 million federal income tax filers but only 71.5 million actually pay any federal income tax whatsoever.

Explain this:
Really? You're going to try and conflate those making over 130K voting Romney with those who have high education? REALLY?

And with a image that has been repeatedly attacked by those on the right here?

Sigh.

The median income for those with a masters degree is 65K. Looking at your chart....the median masters degree voter is democratic. Tons of people have degrees. Its not "the rich". in fact many of the rich don't have degrees. weird that.

You back up your belief with a graphic that has NOTHING to do with the topic of education, just income, and try and correlate that. Come on, I know you're better then this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies