Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 05:54 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,605,052 times

Advertisements

Its " cool," just like NYC stop and frisk laws. Oh well I guess civil liberties in this country are now further shredded. if you find yourself in court defending yourself against random photos obtained via surveillance drone photos , good luck.

News of the United States using unarmed drones in an arrest of suspected terrorism suspects doesn’t sound shocking. Unarmed drones have proven effective in surveying terrorist activities in Iraq and Afghanistan. But, this bit of news from the LA Times is downright terrorizing because unarmed drones were used to arrest American citizens on American soil.
The situation started when Nelson County, North Dakota Sheriff Kelly Janke knocked on the door of a house belonging to members of the Sovereign Citizen Movement with a search warrant to look for six lost cows who were believed to have wondered onto the property. The Sheriff was met at the door with shotguns and his natural reaction was to call in reinforcements. The reinforcements he received, however, are likely to blow your mind…if they don’t blow up your house first. From the LA Times piece:
Janke knew the gunmen could be anywhere on the 3,000-acre spread in eastern North Dakota. Fearful of an armed standoff, he called in reinforcements from the state Highway Patrol, a regional SWAT team, a bomb squad, ambulances and deputy sheriffs from three other counties.
He also called in a Predator B drone.

We Party Patriots » Predator Spy Drone Used to Arrest North Dakota Family, Recover Six Cows
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 05:58 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
I believe this is the angle. Those I bolded, especially.

Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution ...
quote:
Law enforcement officers need a warrant for most search and seizure activities, but the Court has defined a series of exceptions for consent searches, motor vehicle searches, evidence in plain view, exigent circumstances, border searches, and other situations.
There are no claims of anything being searched here. There are no claims of video equipment or anything.

People don't think things through.........The Constitution restricts the governments actions, not some business. People fly over your house all the time now. There are 3-4 ultralights that go over my house every summer. Big deal. As far as we know these will be equipped with a GPS. People use a GPS to find my house now. Anyone can get on Google Earth and do the same.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:00 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times
Will there be video? probably. Video for drones is cheap, but it doesn't represent a unreasonable search. Seriously, some folks on here flip out because...oh noes! The future is scary!

Luddites. Seriously. Plain view-you don't like it? Don't have clear skylights. Majority of folks don't already.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Its " cool," just like NYC stop and frisk laws. Oh well I guess civil liberties in this country are now further shredded. if you find yourself in court defending yourself against random photos obtained via surveillance drone photos , good luck.
People can take photos of your backyard any time they want. As I noted above, what do you think Google Earth does?

Your complaint below (not included) is about restrictions placed on the government. Is anyone complaining that Amazon is going to spy for the government?

Old 12-03-2013, 06:01 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,605,052 times
Read the whole thing. The Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution states:
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

When Drone Warfare Comes Home | Cato Unbound

Old 12-03-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Read the whole thing. The Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution states:
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

When Drone Warfare Comes Home | Cato Unbound

That applies to the government. I can buy one of the small radio control airplanes, attach a small camera and photograph away. The Constitution does not restrict my actions here, it restricts the governments.

As I already asked.....what do you think Google Earth does?

Old 12-03-2013, 06:05 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,666,867 times
just don't seem all that practical to me and what if it malfunction and falls out of the sky on to someone head.

Last edited by ipaper; 12-03-2013 at 06:46 PM..

Old 12-03-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
just don't seem all that practical to me and what if malfunction and falls out of the sky on to someone head.
This is just a big wish right now. The technology isn't there yet. I didn't get too excited as a kid to see George Jetson zipping around in his personal flying transporter either.

It may get worked out one day. It would be cool to get online, order something and three hours later see it at your front door.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:09 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,937,232 times
Quote:

News of the United States using unarmed drones in an arrest of suspected terrorism suspects doesn’t sound shocking. Unarmed drones have proven effective in surveying terrorist activities in Iraq and Afghanistan. But, this bit of news from the LA Times is downright terrorizing because unarmed drones were used to arrest American citizens on American soil.
The situation started when Nelson County, North Dakota Sheriff Kelly Janke knocked on the door of a house belonging to members of the Sovereign Citizen Movement with a search warrant to look for six lost cows who were believed to have wondered onto the property. The Sheriff was met at the door with shotguns and his natural reaction was to call in reinforcements. The reinforcements he received, however, are likely to blow your mind…if they don’t blow up your house first. From the LA Times piece:
Janke knew the gunmen could be anywhere on the 3,000-acre spread in eastern North Dakota. Fearful of an armed standoff, he called in reinforcements from the state Highway Patrol, a regional SWAT team, a bomb squad, ambulances and deputy sheriffs from three other counties.
He also called in a Predator B drone.

We Party Patriots » Predator Spy Drone Used to Arrest North Dakota Family, Recover Six Cows
Oh you haven't seen anything yet.
Largest Telecommunications Project in the History of the United States

Old 12-03-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
Why don't all the Tea Party types in rural America get portable radar set-ups and high power rifles and shoot down the deliveries to their neighbors. That would put a quick end to this crazy idea of delivering packages to rural America.
I'm a Tea Party type. Your ignorance of the world around you is as glaring as others ignorance of the Constitution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies