Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2013, 03:41 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Applebee's is putting tablets on all tables in all their restaurants by end of next year.
They had a 2 year pilot program and the customers loved it.

The main menu though will still be taken by a waiter/waitress.
But drinks, desserts and payment can be done though the tablet.

Others will see what Applebee's is doing and will follow suit.
Applebee's CEO said their intent was not to replace waiters though.
Time will tell.
It makes perfect business sense. They can reduce staffing levels, customer satisfaction rises since orders are not messed up, a win-win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 03:43 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
So, when we do we automate CEOs?

Old 12-08-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
That doesn't necessarily eliminate jobs, because the main function of most workers at fast food places are, cleaning, keeping items stocked and preparing the food.

Those kiosks may allow workers to focus on the main tasks at hand versus dealing with customer orders.

Either way though, if those kiosks are going to replace workers, it doesn't matter what income they demand now does it? If it is cheaper to get rid of those workers and use those kiosks that is what fast food places will do. But again someone has to be prepare the food, keep the place stocked and cleaned.
LOL! It eliminates job by reducing human minutes spent per customer. Lets say a cashier gets 60 customers per hour and spends 45 seconds taking each order and collecting money, with 15 minutes standing around. Open 15 hours, that is 15 hours of payroll time that can be eliminated. She may work, mopping, stocking, etc, but that is done pre kiosk, too. So at the end of the day, 15 payroll hours were deep sixed. If she is mopping, another kid who would have mopped is NOT working with her.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:01 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
It makes perfect business sense. They can reduce staffing levels, customer satisfaction rises since orders are not messed up, a win-win.
Computers have never messed up an order.

McDonald's takes orders by automation NOW And orders still get screwed up.

Orders will always be messed up because automation will never cook the food nor put it in the bag.

And where there are humans, there will be mistakes. Lots of them.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:03 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Well I did shed a tear when Ad and Adapt faded into the mists. I also bemoan the passing of old school tin whackers and panel beaters; a lost art if ever there was one because now they're simply replacing whole panels and raping the planet of resources to do it.
So why don't you provide such services? Either at a cost-competitive rate or at a higher level of quality that people would be willing to pay for? Tree hugger...

Quote:
Whining sense of entitlement? Who the hell are you talking about ~ politicians? They're bottom tier jobs not affecting your utopian existence up there on your lofty perch in your mamma's basement.
The idea that unskilled workers are entitled to $15 per hour, that's what. And complaining that they cannot support children on such wages? Why did they breed so early and often? What do they truly offer employers? I'd like a proportional raise in my wages every time the minimum rate goes up.

And I moved out at 18, put myself through college, developed skills, have two grad degrees and am a recognized SME in my field. I'll bet your mama's still making your oatmeal in the morning, right?

Quote:
Cripes, you talk about people using their right to protest or freedom to assemble in a joint effort to bring attention to the fact that the cost of living has galloped away from them as though they were a scourge upon society.
They can assemble all they want. I do object morally to attempts to extort higher wages from businesses to which they offer little if anything in return. That does not help society at all.

Quote:
Goll dang another "I'm alright Jack, fug you" RWNJ taking pleasure out of other's mundane problems. Do you folks breed under those rocks you crawl out from under or what?
Those who you define as "RWNJ"s are not the ones with a breeding problem.

Quote:
Your job ain't that secure you can't be affected by some unforeseen element in the economy and let's hope the burger joint order takers show more compassion when your turn comes on the whack-a-mole board.
I've been there. And I've adapted, not doing now what I did in my 20s. And I prepared myself for life by developing marketable skills. If you read the OP, there will be no more burger joint order takers. They'll be competing with you at the Kwik-E-Mart.

Be sure to clean around the edges on the Slurpee machine tonight. Customers hate when it's messy and you don't want the boss mad at you again.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:13 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
None, if any. They make their money from fries and Coke.
actually the value menu items have some of the highest profit margins of any of the food items on the menu.

in the end a lot of fast food jobs are going to be automated, but the opportunity here is to get an IT education and learn to service and program these machines, and make money that way.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:16 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,931,272 times
What's the point? Many jobs will be automated in the future. Not just low skill jobs either. Many physicians, pharmacists, accountants, and the list goes on and on will be unemployed in the future when robotics can do the same jobs with better accuracy and not get tired. I can't wait to hear the rights solution when we have 75% unemployment due to automation.

I also can't wait until CEOs jobs are automated, when machine AI will be able to perform complex statistical calculations to determine the best strategies.

Last edited by fibonacci; 12-08-2013 at 04:24 PM..

Old 12-08-2013, 04:26 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Gotta seriously question the motives of anyone taking pleasure out of eliminating a whole sector of employment in an already floundering jobs market.

Cause and effect will come back to bite your hiney big time in a very Karma inducing way if you are actually gloating over this move.

I bet a significant portion of a job you or some other member of your family is presently doing can be replaced by a "software package and a piece of shiny, Chinese made, hardware".

Be very careful what you wish for.
I don't take pleasure in this -- any more than I took pleasure in watching Clinton send the jobs out of the country to Mexico and China.

Liberals' whole reason for unlimited immigration besides the cheap easy votes is to have this cheap foreign labor put Americans out of work. That's why they use that line that illegals are needed to do the jobs for low wages that Americans are too lazy to do.

No real difference between this kind of thing and massive immigration which is to do the same thing.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:48 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,430,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I can't wait to see such technology deployed here! Plus voice synthesizers can speak better English than most McJob cashiers and your order will have a much better chance of being taken accurately. The kiosks will not call off, not threaten strikes and will not try to support multiple children on a fast food salary.

If they can automate preparation and delivery of the product, even better.

The question is whether the current White House regime will try to claim a job created for every kiosk installed.

McDonald's orders 7,000 touchscreen kiosks to replace cashiers - Neowin
I don't use self service checkouts.

The cons are no doubt giddy with joy over the idea of these people losing their jobs, few things make them happier

Old 12-08-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
I don't use self service checkouts.
I use them religiously, as I have yet to get service as prompt at any checkout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies