Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2013, 01:49 PM

15,640 posts, read 10,398,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
There is no way to answer this. It's often situational.

But breaking in to even the top 10% of households isn't that hard... it's a bit over 100k/year. Easily done with two incomes, and certainly not rich.

So claiming that the "40%-ers" are "rich" is laughable.
Actually, Obama has defined the term of what rich is, though the amount keeps changing. It is a person or dual income family with an annual earned income of $200,000 or $225,000 or $250,000, depending on the week. Net worth has nothing to do with whether one is rich by his definition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 01:55 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,656,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I make 60k and pay...... ZERO
I just spoke to my step father who has made around $80,000 his whole life, and he says he has always paid the IRS large "painful" checks. And my cousin and my best friends dad make around $100,000 a year, and they both send checks to the IRS so large it hurts them.

Many middle class Americans are paying too much money in taxes, but you don't care about this. Rather you and the other republican men want to get in a group, and then glamorize and protect rich men and their tax rates.

You call yourself workingclasshero. Shouldn't you be fighting to raise min wage laws, form workers unions, give workers tax credits, and give all workers health insurance, ex.ex.

Maybe you should change your name to "richmen-r-myhero's."

Old 12-12-2013, 01:58 PM

275 posts, read 193,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
There is no way to answer this. It's often situational.

But breaking in to even the top 10% of households isn't that hard... it's a bit over 100k/year. Easily done with two incomes, and certainly not rich.

So claiming that the "40%-ers" are "rich" is laughable.
Obama said married couples making $250k so if both works that means each can make $125k each. If you are single you can make $200k before the government takes a bigger chunk. Somehow that doesn't sound fair.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:01 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
I just spoke to my step father who has made around $80,000 his whole life, and he says he has always paid the IRS large "painful" checks.

My cousin and my best friends dad make around $100,000 a year, and they send checks to the IRS so large it hurts them.
They send large checks to the IRS? Extremely doubtful. Given their marginal tax rate and adjusting for all their allowable deductions, they're very likely only paying very close to the IRS's reported average of 8.7%.

The known FACTS are NOT on your side.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:09 PM

18,462 posts, read 7,096,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
After years of people pointing out that most Americans pay more than JUST INCOME TAXES, it's amazing to see the same clown show propping up more of the same half-truths.

In other news, did you know that the rich pay ALL the taxes that come from passing on estates worth more than $4M to their children? Obviously we need to cut that rate to make it fair...
Why should anyone have to pay taxes AGAIN on money that THEIR PARENTS earned and has ALREADY BEEN TAXED ONCE as income when their parents earned it??

Pretty good racket when you can keep taxing the same money earned by the same people over and over again.......

Old 12-12-2013, 02:11 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
I just spoke to my step father who has made around $80,000 his whole life, and he says he has always paid the IRS large "painful" checks. And my cousin and my best friends dad make around $100,000 a year, and they both send checks to the IRS so large it hurts them.

Many middle class Americans are paying too much money in taxes, but you don't care about this. Rather you and the other republican men want to get in a group, and then glamorize and protect rich men and their tax rates.

You call yourself workingclasshero. Shouldn't you be fighting to raise min wage laws, form workers unions, give workers tax credits, and give all workers health insurance, ex.ex.

Maybe you should change your name to richmen-r-myhero's.
wow...insult and meaningless words

''painfull checks"".... "hurts".........so big it hurts??? what does that mean.....

meanwhile earning 100k get you a std deduction of 12k plus the personal exemption of 3700 per person in the household...meaning a household of a husband and wife can write off 20k right off the top...before any other deductions......meanwhile most are paying every payperiod...which means at the end of the year they certainly wont be writing a "painful check"...and will likely be getting a check BACK

if you understood anything you would know how the min wage HURTS the workingclass....unions are just corporations that do NOTHING for the individual worker...infact they HURT the individual performer....unions are against 'pay for performance" and personal responsibility.....workers tax credits...we already get many....everyone can write off business/job related expenses...to include the price of looking for a job

Old 12-12-2013, 02:16 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,683,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Since when did a president, any president, have control over FRB?
Did I say they had control? No, you made up something I never said, and attributed it to me.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:35 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,415,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isee-you View Post
Obama said married couples making $250k so if both works that means each can make $125k each. If you are single you can make $200k before the government takes a bigger chunk. Somehow that doesn't sound fair.

I don't really care what Obama thinks about who is or is not rich.

I think Americans truly do not understand how GROSSLY disproportionate the share of income, assets, and wealth is amongst the sliver of people within the 1% category. And honestly, even the 1% can't hold a candle to that which the 1% of 1% controls.

Concentration of wealth and income in a few hands is a far greater danger than concentration of higher tax rates.

Interestingly:

Wealthy Say Higher Taxes Haven

Old 12-12-2013, 02:36 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,795,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Wow, people making $200k can afford "servants".
Heh if I was grossing $200k/year I'd definitely have a maid come in once a week. I'd also have a landscaper contracted to do the lawn and the shrubbery and do all the winter prep.

We're under $70k/year, between the two of us. Yes, we do get a refund on our return every year, state and federal. But that is only a partial refund on the total of what we pay. After you subtract the refund from our yearly income tax paid out, there's still plenty that we've paid out.

If you want to think that $70k/year is rich, for married filing jointly, in Connecticut (!), as a homeowner who is paying a mortgage, property tax, sewer tax, water tax, federal income tax, state sales tax, state income tax, and actually daring to have something left over at the end of the week to cover the cost of food and gas (which is also taxed) and heat for our house in the winter (which is also taxed), then hey - you caught us.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:38 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,975,997 times
BS BS BS, this post is total BS. I am not rich and I pay gas tax, I pay property tax, I pay sales tax, I pay FICA tax, Medicare tax, I pay school tax, road tax, income tax. This post is so over the top full of crap it would fill the septic tanks of several states with some to spare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies