Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2013, 07:39 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,213,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Did you notice that celebrities, who are super rich are democrats? Birds of a feather flock together.

Who the Democrats Really Are
I don't follow celebrities, so no, I didn't notice. Still doesn't explain how someone like me who is not rich pays taxes. I thought the rich paid all the taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 08:12 PM

18,805 posts, read 8,479,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
I don't follow celebrities, so no, I didn't notice. Still doesn't explain how someone like me who is not rich pays taxes. I thought the rich paid all the taxes.
I think the article said the top 40% paid all the taxes. So there will be a lot of taxpayers included who are not at all rich.

I think all this article says is that the rich subsidize the poor.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:15 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,213,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
I think the article said the top 40% paid all the taxes. So there will be a lot of taxpayers included who are not at all rich.

I think all this article says is that the rich subsidize the poor.
The title says, the rich pay ALL the taxes, that means that only the rich pay taxes. I'm not rich, yet I pay taxes, so the article if full of BS

Old 12-12-2013, 08:21 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
hmm, I don't recall saying you don't pay taxes. who knows, maybe Obama will think you are rich and dig deeper in your pocket.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:23 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,936,194 times
The title is very misleading. It is the typical divisiveness and spinning we have come to count on from corporate media, however. One has only to look at the Big 6 shareholder's to figure out why.

First off this appears to be just income tax, which we don't get to completely follow where it all really goes. Certainly not going to get the best information from CBO or IRS. Some information on this came out under Reagan.

Secondly, the article states many others in the non-rich category in fact do pay income tax.

Thirdly, they fail to mention that the reason those poor people aren't paying income taxes is because they don't want to completely kill their cash cow. Govt makes more money from those investment funds than through taxes. They require services to validate their investment fund creations and count on liabilities to keep more returns from their creative accounting.

You will get a far better picture looking at CAFRs, Treasurer and Federal Reserve reports, than pointless articles like this. They always try to point at taxes and budgets and not on returns from investments.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:31 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,373,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Agreed. I paid some $28,000.00 in Federal income tax last year (joint filing) on total income of some $140,000.00. Hence, a statement that the 'rich' pay 'all the taxes' is false (as any thinking person would realize).
$140k makes you rich to many people, especially the people who think you have too much and they deserve what you earned.

One in five Americans will earn more than $100,000 a year at some point in their lifetime | Mail Online
Quote:
One in five American adults will become rich at some point in their lifetime - earning more than $100,000 a year - new research revealed today.
"the rich" level is getting lower all the time as some realize that they haven't distributed all the wealth yet.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:34 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
The following 3 minute Youtube link with Warren Buffet and his secretary proves, that everything you said is untrue, a manipulation, and also a lie. (you must click the blue words bellow the screen to watch the video.)

Warren Buffett, Secretary Debbie Bosanek Discuss Tax Rate Inequality in Interview - YouTube
oh please....it has been proven time after time that buffett lied

his secretary makes 60k (his words)..therefore she is in the 15% bracket..and would pay less than 12%....as I showed before she pays less than 5%

buffet pays an effective 17%...

buffets secretary is a married homeowner with 2 kids....making 60k.....just based on thr 60k here bracket would be 15%(lower than buffets 17%)...but that is not the actual WHOLE truth.......with the standard deduction, the 3700 times the 4 exemptions, etc she pays ZERO in tax..the only thing she ends up paying on the federal side is SS/medi for a total of 8%

FACT: making 60k (which is what buffet himself says she makes) puts her in the 15% bracket..and that's based on her ENTIRE 60k being taxed..and we ALL KNOW that is never the case...even single you have the personal exemption, and the standard deduction

buffets states he gets taxed at 17% and that is less than his secretary...fact that is a LIE

there is no disbuting that fact

buffett lied

he said his secretary pays 30% in federal taxes...he lies

FACTS:
we're talking about a married secretary. They file jointly, pay a home mortgage and have kids (still claimed or not) . They probably place at least $4,000 in an 401k (the average is about 7%) and itemize $15,000 in deductions(about 3k over the standard deduction). .....Here the tax picture changes dramatically. ....Taxable income drops to $27,800 -- the 15 percent tax bracket. With child tax credits, secretary now pays $1,419 in federal taxes, or 2.4 percent of $60,000. Add in another 2 percent for $1,218 in state taxes, and secretary pays a grand total, state and federal(to include payroll(ss)), of 4.4 percent on the $60,000-a-year salary.

meanwhile buffett paid over 8 million in taxes

Old 12-12-2013, 08:37 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Buffet made a career on tax avoidance but he thinks other people should pay higher taxes. They say he owes back taxes. I wonder if he ever straightened that up with the IRS.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:31 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Democrats want to take money from a successful person so they can buy people like you.
Exactly. Not sure why they don't see that.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:53 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,096,830 times
Default Pp

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Let's say Mitt Romney hires his son, and pays him $4M for a project. Would you suggest that his son shouldn't be taxed on that income b/c that money has already been taxed?

Or are you saying the act of doing nothing for your money entitles you to not be taxed on it?
No, I'm saying that inheritances and gifts to your children or other family members should be tax free if it stays in the family.
If my father gives me money to help pay for college or help buy a house should that money be taxed?

Money that you work for and have already paid taxes on and give or leave to your family should be off limits no matter how much it is.
And it certainly should not be subject to the government confiscating half of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies