Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 09:41 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,462,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoundOfMuzak View Post
What a joke this guy is. He is proof of how stupid America has become. Get a decent looking, half-Black guy who's good at reading a TelePrompTer, and the country will vote him in twice.
How can anyone change your mind when you have already decided?

America is great because the people make it great. If your only opinion of all of the American people is they are a bunch of brain dead halfwits that don't care about anything but looks...you need to really take a look at yourself. You are either stuck in a country full of halfwits that has done amazing things, or you are just unhappy that you didn't get your way like a selfish bratish child.

I thought you would be happy as well, as Obamacare is there to help those who are unemployed (or jumping from contract to contract) get insurance to help with their health care. Especially for those who are throwing in the towel from even finding work after health problems like heart attacks.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:51 AM

525 posts, read 508,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
It started with the CRA - a Carter administration law, and it was the liberal philosophy of forcing banks to give loans to people that couldn't afford them (in the name of "fairness") that created the bubble. All the banks did was make lemonade from the lemons they were given. Regardless of who was left standing when the music stopped, it was going to stop no matter what.

But that's tangential to this discussion. I want to know if Maddow did a chart that covered Bush's full two terms. Since you replied to my post asking that very question, can you produce that chart?
Of course Maddow won't produce a chart showing Bush's unemployement rates or job growth...she is a partisan hack on a failing network. On a personal level...I can't stand to listen to Maddow...she is annoying and a divider. Economic growth, tax collection, u6 employment numbers, and the like were all great during the Bush years up until the recession. I never contested that. What I do contest is the reasoning behind that growth. I don't believe that the justification for that growth was supply side economic policy...it was a byproduct of a bubble economy which has an inevitable end. As we saw.

Interest rates were too low for too long....Lack of regulation in the shadow banking sector....Bad loans....They are all involved.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:54 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Our healthcare system is improved today because you can no longer be denied for pre-existing conditions for one and there are now subsidies in place so that the less fortunate in society can have access to affordable health insurance. There are also caps on the profits that insurance companies can make, increases in premium are regulated, and contracts are required to now be written so that applicants can actually understand what they are signing for.
And......you are now being dumped off your insurance (that you liked) even though you had NO pre-existing conditions. And if you aren't dumped off outright, your premiums have gone up, as well as your deductible.

And.....when you say the less fortunate "have access" you mean they don't have to pay for it. Which means hard working middle class taxpayers are footing their bill. By force.

We'll see how great this healthcare system is after January 1, when those folks that thought they had insurance aren't covered.

If this is all liberals have, it's pretty sad.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:55 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The Top-5 which come to mind:

1. Stock market
2. Housing market
3. Out of Iraq & Afghanistan (on going)
4. Restoration of US image globally
5. US on path to becoming the largest oil producer in the world
This IS a joke, right?

Old 12-16-2013, 10:05 AM

525 posts, read 508,907 times
As I've mentioned in other posts I don't consider myself liberal and I'm certainly not a fan of Obama. But I think these are the "successes" of his administration.
  • Repealing DOMA and DADT.
  • Being supporting of gay marriage
  • Raising taxes on the highest income earners...however all levels probably need raised.
  • Obamacare. (I know it's unpopular now but I think it will ultimately be a popular.) I prefered a single-payer expansion of Medicare, but I think any effort to ensure all American's regardless of economic status have healthcare is a win and a good stride forward.
  • Drawing down the war effort in Iraq.
  • The stimulus, although it should have been much bigger.

Thats kinda it...I think his administration has had a hell of a lot more issues/mistakes than successes but the things I listed above were alright in my book.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:06 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,032,507 times
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber

1. Stock market
2. Housing market

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
This IS a joke, right?
No, I don't think it is. Scary, isn't it?

Old 12-16-2013, 10:18 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,174,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

1. Stock market
2. Housing market
That is a big laugh... Housing market better???

In Florida 90% of the homes have been or are now in foreclosure since 2009. Everyones home is under water by 66% of their value.. Even the rich are walking away from their homes because the market died and if one is buying a home it is dirt cheap and the rich are buying them up as rentals or flipping them for half their original value.

Capitalism is bringing the oil production up.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:18 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,170,222 times
Quote:
Our healthcare system is improved today because you can no longer be denied for pre-existing conditions for one and there are now subsidies in place so that the less fortunate in society can have access to affordable health insurance. There are also caps on the profits that insurance companies can make, increases in premium are regulated, and contracts are required to now be written so that applicants can actually understand what they are signing for.
WOW... Really? That improves out healthcare system? Making everyone else pay for someone else's pre-existing condition? Not that wasn't the way things already were but NOW An insurance company has to "Accept a car for collision insurance that's already damaged, and now must pay for the collision repairs, so now can increase their rates so that everyone else is forced to pay for it". And YOU think that makes it better?

Subsidies? Again, everyone who works and makes money pays those subsidies. Remember, the ONLY money the government has to pay it's bills with, is that money it earns in taxes, and "Fees".

MY insurance costs have almost doubled in the past 2 years for lesser insurance. That's an improvement? I guess I have a different set of standards.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:26 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,550,376 times
Quote:
Our healthcare system is improved dramatically for one.

WHaaaaaaaaaaaat???

Old 12-16-2013, 10:27 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Do you have a chart that includes ALL of Bush's two terms, you know, when we had full employment, instead of just the last year, when the Democrat-created housing bubble burst?
It's about how you finish. Did he leave the country in better shape that is was when he took office? No, he left it in ruins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies