Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 03:27 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,676,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
The Rachel Maddow Show on msnbc

Watch the first called Political games on Iran deal risk war

The most wasteful spend is coming from the defense budget and it is exposed in this video. Welfare Medicaid
Medicare do not even compare to the wasteful spending with the defense budget. I bet if we cut the $700billion defense budget by 40% to 50% we would not be effected one bit by the cut.
That was one of the places the GAO found a lot of wasteful spending in.

The question is, why won't the president and the Congress use those GAO reports and start eliminating waste? The answer is that they all use taxpayer money to buy power, influence and votes, and if someone tries to kill one person's golden goose, they scream to have their goose taken away too. So they all remain mute, and the looting of the US Treasury continues.

I do think the waste and fraud in our social welfare programs is also out of control. But, lets just ignore it, eh Congress?

In a May 2012 report, FBI Special Agent David Welker said, “The United States spends more than $2.5 trillion on health care annually, and rough estimates indicate that anywhere from 3% to 10% of all health care expenditures are attributed to fraud."

If you do Welker's math, the annual cost of fraud ranges from $75 billion to $250 billion. That's a lot of our hard-earned retirement money.

The Government Accounting Office doesn't think this estimate is far wrong. It reported that in 2011, Medicare and Medicaid paid an annual $65 billion in "improper payments." It defines "improper" to include payments that are made in error -- not fraud, but wrong just the same.

How Big is Medicare Fraud? | Fox Business
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 03:34 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,809,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I'm saying I dont give a rats ass what they are saying.. Some website saying something doesnt make it true.. Note the number of times you've been wrong on city data to cite an example.

No website statement overrules the Supreme Court..
Then why did you source to "georgia medicare plans"? Using your logic, you just owned yourself

Always wrong, always getting put in their place. That's pghquest!

Old 12-20-2013, 03:36 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Then why did you source to "georgia medicare plans"? Using your logic, you just owned yourself
I then sourced the Social Security administration and the Supreme Court..

Are you 5?

Old 12-20-2013, 03:54 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
The left would salivate and drool over all that extra money they could use on continually failing social experimentation.
They would have to "save" somehow all the unemployed defense people. I suppose they could create the Affordable Defense Worker Protection Act.

Old 12-20-2013, 04:31 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,458,627 times
1) There is no country (at least those with disclosed budgets) that spends 57% of their budget on military.
2) More then 50% of the DoD expenses, go to salaries and pensions (including retirees). That segment is non discretionary and cannot be changed.
3) That being said, military spending is large enough to be analyzed and scrutinized, even if medicare was completely eliminated. I don't understand what medicare fraud has to do with that.

Old 12-20-2013, 04:45 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
Defense could take the biggest cut of 100 to 300 billion and it would still be ok. Nothing else could take a cut that big and still be ok
are you nuts

we are talking about the health and welfare for SOLDIERS

we already cut the military in half in the 90's...

what needs to be cut is welfare, food stamps, unemployment insurance which should MAX at 13 weeks

we spend over 1 trillion dollars on social programs

Old 12-20-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Social security isn't discretionary spending, try learning how the government works before posting such nonsense next time
and the military should not be discretionary either...especially since it is constitutionally REQUIRED

oh and btw SS is NOT constitutionally required

Old 12-20-2013, 10:14 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Cut it in half right away? So you want to shock the economy? Yet I bet you backed the bailout of GM and Chrysler, which would not have disappeared without intervention.
Yep...I was. Still am. Would do it again. In a heartbeat.

And yes..I still wanna cut defense to pre 2001 levels. Tonite if possible.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yep...I was. Still am. Would do it again. In a heartbeat.

And yes..I still wanna cut defense to pre 2001 levels. Tonite if possible.
why....defense spending isn't the problem

from 2008 to present

defense spending has increased 16%....... 593b to 673b
medicare spending has increase 29%....... 386b to 548b
medicaid spending has increased 44%..... 201b to 319b.....medicare/ciad makes up nearly 800 billion of our spending and is INCREASED big time each year
ss spending has increased 17% ........ 612B to 779b

the budget 'projects' the costs yearly for 10 years beyond

by fy 15(just 1 year from now)

ss federal COST will be................ 900 billion
mediCARE federal COST will be...... 650 billion
mediCAID federal cost will be........ 400 billion

for a total of just those 3.........over 2 trillion A YEAR, and rising every year

the 1980 (carters last year) defense budget 240 billion ....
...would be 770 billion in todays' (constant) dollars

bush1's 1990 523 billion dollar(WAR (desert storm)) budget....904 billion in todays dollars

our current defense budget.....676 billion

our current budget is smaller than carters peace time budget.. in todays' dollars

Old 12-21-2013, 01:19 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,116,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
They would have to "save" somehow all the unemployed defense people. I suppose they could create the Affordable Defense Worker Protection Act.
Ah so you see how our military industrial complex is corporate welfare. Well we could always spend that money on our citizens in the form of new roads, highways, trains, ports dredging, utilities, etc. It would be pertinent to not turn off the faucet too quickly to shift our priorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies