Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 07:41 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,816,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Even if this fanciful chart WERE true (which is it not), the Dems have proven that they put criminal parasites over men and women that are willing to sacrifice their lives for our freedoms. Nothing more disgusting than that.
It is factual, just because you don't like the truth doesn't change it.

Also yes, the far right GOP are trash and domestic terrorists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 07:42 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamencoFreak View Post
Yes, our spending on education has certainly produced results, hasn't it? We now have an entire generation of brainwashed liberals who know nothing of our history, can barely read and write, haven't read anything, are only able to parrot the Progressive talking points on any issue of importance. And, they don't find it necessary to defend our country against those with an agenda to destroy it. Let the entire world have nukes! Hey, they have a right. That passes for wisdom.

Shrinking our military, as the Obama administration has been doing, and will continue to do, does only one thing: It makes our enemies stronger, and reduces our ability to defend ourselves.

In my opinion, we should have the strongest military, with the most advanced weapons systems that money and technology can provide. That is how we preserve freedom (along with seeing to it that no "Progressive" ever again sits in the Oval Office).
Total garbage ~ all of it. Even Republicans know that we spend way too much money on our Military Industrial Complex.

Which party is it that values education and certainly higher education? Oh yeah; that would be the Democratic party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Military spending and defense spending, are two totally different things.

They will combine the two and call it all defense, so you cannot refuse to liquidate the treasury to feed the military industrial complex.

Right now, we are on the offense. We have not had to defend our soil since 1812.
Goodness, we agree on something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Considering you can't go to a teabagger rally without seeing countless misspelled signs, it's clear those 3rd grade educations are working well for them
Quote:
Originally Posted by tovarisch View Post
You're free to disagree with Maddow, but it doesn't seem quite right to call her an "idiot" or to suggest she has no authority -- after all, she has a doctorate in politics from Oxford (look it up -- I just did).
Well, you know, lots of Conservatives don't put a lot of emphasis on that soshulist book larning.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:48 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,755,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamencoFreak View Post
Yes, our spending on education has certainly produced results, hasn't it? We now have an entire generation of brainwashed liberals who know nothing of our history, can barely read and write, haven't read anything, are only able to parrot the Progressive talking points on any issue of importance. And, they don't find it necessary to defend our country against those with an agenda to destroy it. Let the entire world have nukes! Hey, they have a right. That passes for wisdom.

Shrinking our military, as the Obama administration has been doing, and will continue to do, does only one thing: It makes our enemies stronger, and reduces our ability to defend ourselves.

In my opinion, we should have the strongest military, with the most advanced weapons systems that money and technology can provide. That is how we preserve freedom (along with seeing to it that no "Progressive" ever again sits in the Oval Office).
I don't have a problem with a strong military, but it can be done on a cheaper budget, by cutting defense spending, the military will prioritize and spend money where it needs to be spent, not buying $500 hammers .

Old 12-20-2013, 07:49 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,187,630 times
Tempest68 is playing the same game Rush Limbaugh and other pundits play - picking data that advances his point of view but are otherwise misleading. Grossly misleading if what he is trying to show is government spending on defense.

He chose to show DISCRETIONARY spending, which is just one category of government spending.

Discretionary spending is smaller than the spending on Medicare and Medicaid. It is also smaller than Social Security. Tempest68 showed how much of DISCRETIONARY spending is for defense. He neglected to show how the governments a few other trillion.

I think the US does spend too much on defense. I think we can be smarter with how we spend our defense dollars. But I also believe it is our best interests to unquestionably be the most militarily powerful country in the world. We are that in spades now and should stay that way. Our national security will be improved with additional energy independence and immigration reform.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:52 AM

46,313 posts, read 27,124,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Tempest68 is playing the same game Rush Limbaugh and other pundits play - picking data that advances his point of view but are otherwise misleading. Grossly misleading if what he is trying to show is government spending on defense.

He chose to show DISCRETIONARY spending, which is just one category of government spending.

Discretionary spending is smaller than the spending on Medicare and Medicaid. It is also smaller than Social Security. Tempest68 showed how much of DISCRETIONARY spending is for defense. He neglected to show how the governments a few other trillion.

I think the US does spend too much on defense. I think we can be smarter with how we spend our defense dollars. But I also believe it is our best interests to unquestionably be the most militarily powerful country in the world. We are that in spades now and should stay that way. Our national security will be improved with additional energy independence and immigration reform.
Yep!

Old 12-20-2013, 07:54 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,816,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post

Nothing I posted is misleading and it is a fact to my statement that the military is hands down the biggest pork barreled spending the nation has, and needs to be cut significantly.

Social security and Medicare are paid into by people, so that is not technically spending in the sense like non-mandatory spending which is completely out of the taxpayer's checkbook.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:58 AM

1,074 posts, read 758,515 times
Just as I suspected. A bunch of liberals!

Old 12-20-2013, 07:58 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
It's no wonder she has her own show with hard hitting investigative reports like this. Next week on Rachel Maddow. The sun rises in the east.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:42 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Nothing I posted is misleading and it is a fact to my statement that the military is hands down the biggest pork barreled spending the nation has, and needs to be cut significantly.

Social security and Medicare are paid into by people, so that is not technically spending in the sense like non-mandatory spending which is completely out of the taxpayer's checkbook.
But it's all going into the same pot, as much as they want to you to believe you're paying for those programs separately. When they started to raid SS funds to pay for government overspending, they ceased being separate programs and turned into government slush funds.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:52 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,477,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I agree that we should cut military spending... huge cuts. But your stat is meaningless. The best measure of military spending is as a percent of GDP.

The USA is at 4.4% which is nowhere near the highest in the world. France and the UK are at 2.4 and 2.5%. China is 2%.

The solution is to make our foreign bases profit centers. Let's make Canada, Germany, Italy, etc pay us a profit to protect them.
Better yet, just get the heck out of those countries. Who are we protecting Canada from, polar bears? We should waste more on the military based on GDP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies