Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 09:03 AM

8,016 posts, read 5,863,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I agree that we should cut military spending... huge cuts. But your stat is meaningless. The best measure of military spending is as a percent of GDP.

The USA is at 4.4% which is nowhere near the highest in the world. France and the UK are at 2.4 and 2.5%. China is 2%.

The solution is to make our foreign bases profit centers. Let's make Canada, Germany, Italy, etc pay us a profit to protect them.
I don't understand why we even have bases in Germany or Canada. Who are we protecting them from?

I think we should charge them for "protection", if that's what these bases are supposed to be accomplishing. It seems that we're spending billions of dollars annually on these bases, not including the cost of the military personnel.

US reportedly footing more of the bill for overseas bases despite cuts to military | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 09:37 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,187,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Nothing I posted is misleading and it is a fact to my statement that the military is hands down the biggest pork barreled spending the nation has, and needs to be cut significantly.

Social security and Medicare are paid into by people, so that is not technically spending in the sense like non-mandatory spending which is completely out of the taxpayer's checkbook.
Nothing you posted defends "pork barreled" at all.

You used just discretionary spending to mislead people here about how much is spent on defense.

Since you want defense cut signficantly, tell us just what you would do?

Close bases? Where?
Get rid of nuclear weapons?
Get rid of the NSA? CIA?
Shut down weapons programs underway?
How much of a reduction in personnel?
???

Old 12-20-2013, 09:54 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,816,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Nothing you posted defends "pork barreled" at all.

You used just discretionary spending to mislead people here about how much is spent on defense.
Posting facts is misleading? Grow up. The amount the nation spends on pork barreled military spending to bankroll the weapons contractors is insane.

Quote:
Since you want defense cut signficantly, tell us just what you would do?

Close bases? Where?
All that are not in the US. The constitution states to "provide for the common defense" With defense being the key word. It is not our job to occupy the world or start false wars like Iraq.

Quote:
Get rid of nuclear weapons?
Our arsenal is plenty.

Quote:
Get rid of the NSA? CIA?
TSA, DHS, and the patriot act all need to be abolished. They are far right wing huge government and anti-constitutional big brother entities.

Quote:
Shut down weapons programs underway?
It needs to be significantly slowed down. Most of it is pork and waste.

Quote:
How much of a reduction in personnel?
???
Fairly largely. We don't need to have troops all over the world. The constitution states that the government is to protect the homeland from invaders, not to be the world's police.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:57 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,477,416 times
Quote:
Posting facts is misleading? Grow up. The amount the nation spends on pork barreled military spending to bankroll the weapons contractors is insane.

All that are not in the US. The constitution states to "provide for the common defense" With defense being the key word. It is not our job to occupy the world or start false wars like Iraq.

Our arsenal is plenty.

TSA, DHS, and the patriot act all need to be abolished. They are far right wing huge government and anti-constitutional big brother entities.

It needs to be significantly slowed down. Most of it is pork and waste.

Fairly largely. We don't need to have troops all over the world. The constitution states that the government is to protect the homeland from invaders, not to be the world's police.
Or the world`s instigators.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:11 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 26 days ago)

29,573 posts, read 16,556,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
It's your article and it claims they paid off 15 million, but only paid $400,000....huge difference, to bad you cannot comprehend that...

Kindness...LOL...how much did ol joe pay in charity?

LOL...
Your argument doesnt make sense, It seems you didnt realize debt can be paid off at a discount price because companies would rather get some of their money than none.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:26 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,080,421 times
I think there's plenty of room in every area for budgetary cutting and stopping wasteful spending. Its just that Maddow is so sophomoric and unprofessional in her journalism that its going to taint anything she says, right or wrong.
This latest budget deal is an abomination and every person who voted for it needs to be run out of DC on a rail.
They're not even pretending to be serving their constituents anymore.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:42 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,187,630 times
I bet Tempest68 is willing to accept the constitutionality of the individual mandate at the same time he rejects the TSA, DHS, etc. Note that the left, including the far left, defends many of those programs.

I think the first thing that should be done about federal spending is for every department to take a 10% budget haircut. There is fat everywhere. Everyone involved can complain that way, but they can complain equally.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:42 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
I've been saying that Defense spending should be cut in half immediately and at least back to 2001 levels if nothing else.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:51 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,963,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamencoFreak View Post
In my opinion, we should have the strongest military, with the most advanced weapons systems that money and technology can provide. That is how we preserve freedom (along with seeing to it that no "Progressive" ever again sits in the Oval Office).

Freedom? What country is trying to take away our freedoms?
Looks like our Government is doing just fine taking them away without any help.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:55 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
She's absoutly correct that the military is by far the biggest pork barreled spending the nation has. It's the perfect example of how the GOP really doesn't care about the budget as they want to gut the crap out of medicare and education, while expanding spending on something that needs it the least.
I love how the creator of your chart lists military as discretionary, but fails to list things like social security at all. I guess Social Security is FREE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies