Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2013, 09:17 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,326,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
The guy in NY was charged with a hate crime by local officials. The issue here is why Holder and the JD just so happened to get involved in this particular case. Maybe as you suggest, local officials requested federal involvement. Maybe Texas officials declined to pursue state hate crime charges. I surely don't Know why the feds chose this case to emphasize the dastardly nature of the knockout game. Because they never got involved before this white-on-black incident, I believe race and politics part of the decision.
How about because the local authorities have proof before hand and charge them as such?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 12:06 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,604,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
The ones who record themselves spewing racial slurs and talking about how they want to attack white people, and then run around showing their videos off to strangers? Well, it's pretty rare for anyone to do anything that stupid...
Tell me about it. This moron got too comfortable showing his video to a fellow white person assuming he thought he was racist too. What a dumb@ss.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:30 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
No it's not. It's a tool that puts worse criminals in jail for longer periods of time.
Worse criminals? How do you know they are worse? Are all the ones who do this repeat offenders more so than others who commit assault? Or worse because automatically when one uses racist language that somehow makes the punch hurt more? Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me.

I guess you mean well but lets keep moral issues out of our immoral governments hands.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:39 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,939,754 times
I hope this punk gets hung out to dry over this. It is outrageous. That said, it is just as outrageous when a black youth perpetuates the same crime against a white elderly victim and should be treated in the same manner. A cowardly punk is a cowardly punk irrespective of race.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:30 AM

2,234 posts, read 1,759,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Worse criminals? How do you know they are worse? Are all the ones who do this repeat offenders more so than others who commit assault? Or worse because automatically when one uses racist language that somehow makes the punch hurt more? Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me.

I guess you mean well but lets keep moral issues out of our immoral governments hands.
Is a black or white person who assaults or murders someone of the opposite race for no other reason than they hate that race compared to a black or white person who assaults or murders someone out of retaliation or for monetary reasons? I don't know, but aren't all laws based on the moral of that particular society? How do you have laws without morals? The people we gave power to decided on our behalf that the racial angle does in fact make one criminal and crime worse than another. I don't know if I agree with it or not, but I do know I don't care if these people are getting extra time because of it... It's a non issue to me.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:45 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,914,144 times
Quote:
No it's not. It's a tool that puts worse criminals in jail for longer periods of time.
Quote:
If he chose his victim on the basis of race, then yes.
How the hell is someone a "worse" criminal by punching somebody out because they are black/white (or any demographic) as opposed to them just being bored?

PLEASE humor me with your logic....

Old 12-29-2013, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
How the hell is someone a "worse" criminal by punching somebody out because they are black/white (or any demographic) as opposed to them just being bored?

PLEASE humor me with your logic....
Because law makers and others in society (black and white) believe the intent makes one crime worse than the other. I guess to them it's similar to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd degree murder and manslaughter charges. In each of those 4 charges a criminal has killed someone, and that person is just as dead regardless. Someone charged with 1st degree vs 3rd degree murder basically committed the same exact crime (just like other knockout game players vs the one we're discussing). However, the intent behind the crime makes one criminal/crime "worse" than another according to the law. Whether you agree or disagree, the same "logic" applies here.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:00 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,154,352 times
When it comes to justice and our spin here are two good examples. The first is a CNN article and the second is a FOX news article on the recent Kings Plaza flash mob:
Mob of teens overruns mall in Brooklyn - CNN.com
Hundreds of teens trash New York mall in wild flash mob | Fox News

CNN never mentions the knockout game. I really don't know for sure if it happened because the two stories are miles apart. But, if this is a case where Blacks beat Whites, they should also be charged with a hate crime. All of the conspirators, that planed the flash mob, should also be charged (if that was the case). As far as I know; nobody has been arrested.

My problem is that what set slaves free is the notion of equal rights and (over the Supreme Court building) equal justice for all. No it did not happen overnight; it took many years to set the record straight. But, if we do not stick to these principles; we are doomed.

We did not spill our blood on foreign soil to protect a country that is unsafe to live in - for Blacks, Whites, Hispanics or any other race. Equality for all races should be our war banner. You cannot charge one White and not do the same to any other race. Our politicians and our justice department are continually demonstrating their bias and prejudice - they are just as guilty of racism as that ignorant 27 year old Conrad Barrett. I do hope that Barrett gets a very long jail sentence - I just want us to be fair.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
When it comes to justice and our spin here are two good examples. The first is a CNN article and the second is a FOX news article on the recent Kings Plaza flash mob:
Mob of teens overruns mall in Brooklyn - CNN.com
Hundreds of teens trash New York mall in wild flash mob | Fox News

CNN never mentions the knockout game. I really don't know for sure if it happened because the two stories are miles apart. But, if this is a case where Blacks beat Whites, they should also be charged with a hate crime. All of the conspirators, that planed the flash mob, should also be charged (if that was the case). As far as I know; nobody has been arrested.

My problem is that what set slaves free is the notion of equal rights and (over the Supreme Court building) equal justice for all. No it did not happen overnight; it took many years to set the record straight. But, if we do not stick to these principles; we are doomed.

We did not spill our blood on foreign soil to protect a country that is unsafe to live in - for Blacks, Whites, Hispanics or any other race. Equality for all races should be our war banner. You cannot charge one White and not do the same to any other race. Our politicians and our justice department are continually demonstrating their bias and prejudice - they are just as guilty of racism as that ignorant 27 year old Conrad Barrett. I do hope that Barrett gets a very long jail sentence - I just want us to be fair.
Did they do it for racial reasons and was there proof that they did it for racial reasons? I don't understand why this is so hard for other to get. ... One race attacking another race is NOT proof enough to start charging people with hate crimes. There has to be evidence that the crime took place because of race... Also, blacks and other races HAVE AND ARE getting charged with hate crimes when evidence permits. fisheye, how is this unfair?

Old 12-29-2013, 04:08 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,914,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
Because law makers and others in society (black and white) believe the intent makes one crime worse than the other. I guess to them it's similar to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd degree murder and manslaughter charges. In each of those 4 charges a criminal has killed someone, and that person is just as dead regardless. Someone charged with 1st degree vs 3rd degree murder basically committed the same exact crime (just like other knockout game players vs the one we're discussing). However, the intent behind the crime makes one criminal/crime "worse" than another according to the law. Whether you agree or disagree, the same "logic" applies here.
With murder there is either malice or not...

When it comes to race or boredom the same intent is there....to knock somebody out. They are both malicious.

It's faulty logic. There is no logic behind "hate crime" enhancement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies