Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2014, 10:26 PM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
You don't want to get arrested for using marijuana? Don't use it!
Or move to CA, CO, WA, OR, etc. I've been a legal user in CA since about 2002, and couldn't get arrested for pot if I tried. Matter of fact, there are very few states left where simply using (or possessing a small amount) is an arrestable crime... in most states it is a simple fine, if that.

Quote:
Tell that to the baby whose marijuana-using mother left him on the car roof.
You know how I know when a Prohibitionist has run out of reasonable arguments? When they bring up the roof baby or face-eating homeless guy. And you know why these are the two stories always mentioned? Because they were so unusual, it MADE THE NEWS. How often does an alcohol-related death make news headlines? Quite rarely, because they're almost as common as heart attacks.

And as I'm sure you already know, since it's been discussed a zillion times here, it wasn't just pot that caused these incidents. The face eater was on all sorts of stuff, and IIRC so was that mother... I only vaguely remember the details on the latter, but obviously she had other issues going on there. Kinda funny (in a sad way) how seriously you take these stories, when you're obviously not dumb enough to believe pot smokers are regularly leaving babies on roofs. If that were true, this incident wouldn't even have made the news - and you'd be seeing this stuff happening right & left, considering how many people in the world smoke pot. Logic, use it.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:28 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,468,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator75 View Post
This is a simple review, the main intention is to prove to you, the reader, that a potential legalization of Marijuana at the federal level would be a disaster and a terrible idea.

Let's begin with a fair analysis. Marijuana has been known for years as a "gateway drug" but despite if this age old common knowledge, in support of the product, we all know that it has never killed or hurt anyone, especially in comparison with alcohol abuse. Also, as a quick disclosure before any starts off in a typical cubicle rant, there is nothing wrong with Marijuana itself as a medication or as a means for government taxation.

But the main fact and focus of this discussion is that if marijuana was legalized everywhere then many users will attribute to the "abuse of the system".

For example, assuming marijuana was legal everywhere, the unemployment rate would certainly climb to the highest numbers ever seen. Let's be real folks, many corporations would suffer from the workforce being "high all the time" and likely abusing the many of the corporate provided privileges, such as healthcare insurance, paid time off, sick time, breaks, lunch, etc.

Marijuana legalization will definitely affect US productivity and it will hurt corporations.

Sure it feels good to get high, it helps you get rid of stress and pain. But can we live with the real damage to our country?
Are people drunk all the time at work too?

Old 01-31-2014, 11:50 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Because I don't think it's good for people (and society) to get their "enjoyment" from a mind-altering drug.
What you think don't mean squat. Anyone who proudly proclaimed "FOX NEWS RULES!" like you did does not need to be thinking for anyone but themselves.

Old 02-01-2014, 01:26 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
What you think don't mean squat. Anyone who proudly proclaimed "FOX NEWS RULES!" like you did does not need to be thinking for anyone but themselves.
If that's the best you can do, you should try harder!

I was asked what I think and I answered.

Oh, FOX NEWS RULES!

Old 02-01-2014, 01:28 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
You sound exactly like the nanny-stater Democrats, who your ilk (and probably you) make fun of for stupid laws like banning large sodas. What makes you believe "because I don't think it's good" is a fair argument for allowing the government to ban it? Or for telling other tax-paying adults what they should or shouldn't put into their bodies? You aren't the recreation police, so stop telling us how to enjoy ourselves.

As I've said, conservatives are only for small government when it directly benefits/affects them personally.
You are free to think whatever you want.

Conservatives do favor small government but realize that there has to be some government. Same with freedom... too much leads to anarchy.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:39 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,121,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
guess what, in all the 30 years that I smoked mj I did not do one violent or stupid thing.. wish I could say that for all those weekends drinking booze

the propaganda is mind boggling when it comes to pot...
Exactly! I stopped drinking because of foolish decisions. Now it's a life of sobriety for me until I retire

Old 02-01-2014, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Because I don't think it's good for people (and society) to get their "enjoyment" from a mind-altering drug.
Yikes! You sure do enjoy controlling others

Old 02-01-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Mox news. Unfair and biased. Lol!

Old 02-01-2014, 06:50 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
It shouldn't be legalized because we don't need another legal intoxicant thrown into the mix.

Not to mention the stench.
Agreed. Contact highs are an issue. If MJ is legal, how do I stop myself from being exposed to my neighbor's smoke? You can be around people who are drinking without drinking yourself. You cannot be around people who are smoking without breathing in the smoke.

Seriously, we can't handle the drug that is legal that doesn't give a contact high. Why in the world would we want one that does?

Old 02-01-2014, 06:54 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
So you are for denying people their right to happiness?
If you need drugs to make you happy, there is something seriously wrong. Drugs are an escape. A way of self medicating.

As my grandmother used to say "Happiness is a choice". You can choose to be happy or choose not to be happy. Choosing to medicate your life away isn't good for anyone but it is telling about how pathetic your life is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies